Cool shit

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Cool shit

Post by Mini Forklift »

Came across this very cool transformation today and thought it was worthy of posting. Started off life as a 1999 R7 Goldtop...

The owner sent it away for a 'Historic Makeover'. Once it was stripped back he was given a call and told that there's some seriously cool flame underneath the gold paint and recommended that he 'burst' it

Finished result is just WOW in my eyes and 100% better than what it originally was :clap:

Last edited by Mini Forklift on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Cool shit

Post by Molly »

That's fantastic. You'd think Gibson would've put a burst on there in the first place.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

What kind of muppet would solid coat that FFS. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Slowy wrote:What kind of muppet would solid coat that FFS. :roll:
Take a bow Gibson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Sorry, should have stated. Please add your own ‘cool shit’ you have come across into this thread :-)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

It's a lovely job too. Would that be 'amber burst' or some such?

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

That is stunning, I love me a gold top, but that top just had to get a burst treatment

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I wouldn't say it's "100%" better :rofl: . It was still a nice R7 beforehand. Makes me wonder whats under mine, but I'd rather drop the money required to refinish on a another guitar haha.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Scooter13 wrote:I wouldn't say it's "100%" better :rofl: . It was still a nice R7 beforehand. Makes me wonder whats under mine, but I'd rather drop the money required to refinish on a another guitar haha.
You can sometimes see flame inside the control cavity, or use a bright light to reflect off the surface onto a wall and you'll be able to see any flames. My R7 has a little bit of figuring but nothing crazy.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Lyle wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:I wouldn't say it's "100%" better :rofl: . It was still a nice R7 beforehand. Makes me wonder whats under mine, but I'd rather drop the money required to refinish on a another guitar haha.
You can sometimes see flame inside the control cavity, or use a bright light to reflect off the surface onto a wall and you'll be able to see any flames. My R7 has a little bit of figuring but nothing crazy.
When Dharmajester was selling his R4 he did this. Looked to be a nice flame underneath the oxblood finish. It'd take a brave bloke to strip it though.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3466 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Dang!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:
Lyle wrote:
When Dharmajester was selling his R4 he did this. Looked to be a nice flame underneath the oxblood finish. It'd take a brave bloke to strip it though.
I would have taken it if I could have afforded at the time, stripping it is exactly what I was planning to do :lol:

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I prefer it as a goldtop... but, you know, that's just my opinion man.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Usually when they use a flame top for R7 it's because that particular top was deemed "not good enough for R9", like having large mineral streaks etc.

This one looks nicer than a lot of current R9's though, guess they had more good stuff at their disposal back then.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

The rock shop had an R7 for ages that had a flamey top. I was never in a position to buy it. You could see it in the top, the ripples and waves. Didn’t even need to pop the cavity.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves