If you were just starting what sub $1,000 guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: If you were just starting what sub $1,000 guitar?

Post by The Scarecrow »

calling card wrote:I bought a 74 swamp ash Strat USA hardtail $700 back in 1986, second hand hanging on the shop wall. Just think I could have fairly easily bought what most thought a POS 60's Strat then.
I had a '79 Strat that I got in '96 for about the same price from my guitar teacher. His dad bought it new and gave it to him to in the early 90's but he had a Tokai Love Rock LP which he preferred. Was a bit of a step up from the old Ibanez lawsuit strat copy I had in school.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Delayman wrote:
calling card wrote:I bought a 74 swamp ash Strat USA hardtail $700 back in 1986, second hand hanging on the shop wall. Just think I could have fairly easily bought what most thought a POS 60's Strat then.
That's one of my dream guitars - I was born in 1974. And I've really liked the swamp ash guitars I've played - a PRS and I think a les paul.

They're not thought of that well, but the birth year thing would be cool.[/quote

I traded the Strat in on a Charvel year or so later and that Strat went to Kokomo blues band - Deric? Brown coloured,black plastics. He might still have it.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

calling card wrote:They're not thought of that well, but the birth year thing would be cool.
That's why I ended up with my '79 strat - it was manufactured not only the year I was born, but 1 month exactly after I arrived. Crazy!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

I thought the Revstar 420 was pretty nice for $800ish in NZ, amazing for the Australian price of $550.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Delayman wrote:
That's one of my dream guitars - I was born in 1974. And I've really liked the swamp ash guitars I've played - a PRS and I think a les paul.

They're not thought of that well, but the birth year thing would be cool.
I'm on the lookout for a birth year guitar too, that exact same year in fact! It will be a player though, not just to collect. I had an Ibanez Musician... didn't enjoy that at all. Weighed a frikkin ton and had a thin neck.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

codedog wrote:
Delayman wrote:

I'm on the lookout for a birth year guitar too, that exact same year in fact! It will be a player though, not just to collect. I had an Ibanez Musician... didn't enjoy that at all. Weighed a frikkin ton and had a thin neck.
You'll probably beat me to it then - I'm out of the acquisition market at the moment. There is a 74 tele on trademe now - but the price is up there
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Delayman wrote:
codedog wrote:
Delayman wrote:

You'll probably beat me to it then - I'm out of the acquisition market at the moment. There is a 74 tele on trademe now - but the price is up there
Not so sure about beating you to it. I may be looking but, as we all know, it all depends on timing and budget.

candiman
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by candiman »

One of my most used at the moment would be an ESP M-II standard series. Was $850ish in 2012. Not sure you could get one for that price now though.

Buying new a PRS-SE or hit an SX and keep the change.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Actually most people starting I think would be spending $250 max?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

candiman
Ashton
Ashton

Post by candiman »

jeremyb wrote:Actually most people starting I think would be spending $250 max?
Yep, when my kids started I got an SX strat 2nd hand for $200 off TM. Unexpected bonus that it came in a Hiscox flight case!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I started my third attempt at learning guitar 5 years ago, with a $600 Cort acoustic. Did anyone else start with an acoustic?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

candiman wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Actually most people starting I think would be spending $250 max?
Yep, when my kids started I got an SX strat 2nd hand for $200 off TM. Unexpected bonus that it came in a Hiscox flight case!
I'm still happy to hit up an SX anytime :) I've owned high end guitars and I'm really happy to go SX, just the usual changes you'd make to a high end like- tuners, pickups, bridge etc.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

codedog wrote:I started my third attempt at learning guitar 5 years ago, with a $600 Cort acoustic. Did anyone else start with an acoustic?
Yeah, back in 3rd form when I started playing it was on an acoustic. Didn't get an electric until the following year.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

There's an interview recently with the Fender CEO who says something like 90% of first time guitarists are done within the first year. So a used Squier starter pack for about $220-$250 on TM is the right choice 90% of the time.

But if you can predict the future and know you're in the 10%, as others have said, a used PRS SE or Classic Vibe or MIM Strat are outstanding 'first' guitars that for most practical purposes, would never need replacing. (Future GAS of course not being 'practical'.)

Alternate answer: TM $250ish used Warlock!

candiman
Ashton
Ashton

Post by candiman »

HappyEnding wrote:There's an interview recently with the Fender CEO who says something like 90% of first time guitarists are done within the first year.
This was my kids... my son quit and my daughter switched to flute and ukelele. Their SX strat was a decent player so I kept it and sold my Fender american standard (also a decent player).