Fender Strat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Fender Strat

Post by Delayman »

I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

Not really that relevant for this thread but I find when I don't have a strat, there is a gap.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Delayman wrote:I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

Not really that relevant for this thread but I find when I don't have a strat, there is a gap.
Why not? Works for SX.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote:I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

It's what I did with my Tele, MIM stock pickups were trash and I managed to find a pair of custom shop ones from a USA model going cheap on reverb or eBay, added the obsidian wire 4 way Tele kit and haven't looked back :)

Has to be a keeper though, will never get my money back!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

The thing for me is, an SX or Mexi Strat is always just that and ultimately leaves me yearning. No matter how much I spend or how good it sounds. Plus you mostly always lose on the resale. A genuine USA Strat is always that and will hold its resale value especially if unmolested. Not saying that the others can't be great instruments.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'm currently fettling a tele sx neck for my blackwood tele. I've been making a neck for that one for the last two years (its doubtful I'll get it finished in the next 2 years) so I want something attached to the bloody thing :)
Its a good neck made way better by stripping amber lacquer, rounding over in places, refretting and dressing properly.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Bg wrote:I'm currently fettling a tele sx neck for my blackwood tele. I've been making a neck for that one for the last two years (its doubtful I'll get it finished in the next 2 years) so I want something attached to the bloody thing :)
Its a good neck made way better by stripping amber lacquer, rounding over in places, refretting and dressing properly.
How do you find the blackwood as a body wood? I got some PNG grown rosewood to use as a drop top and tryin to think of a good body wood to pair it with. Will likely hollow the snot out of the body - see if I can get some acoustic resonance.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Sounds great to me, naturally resonant but I did get the wood from Adrian, so it was always going to be good.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Danny had a great Road Worn Strat ages ago...they can be very good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I really want to dispose of my skinny little fretboard fingertip dragging Fender frets... procrastination
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

GrantB wrote:Danny had a great Road Worn Strat ages ago...they can be very good.
Still got it :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

First guitar I bought was a 1990 MIM Strat, one of the few guitars I still have and it's honestly better than many of the USA's I have played.

Guess it's kinda like my Tokai, an absolute killer LP with the wrong name on the headstock. Depends on whether that's gonna bother you after a while or not