All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Delayman
I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

Not really that relevant for this thread but I find when I don't have a strat, there is a gap.
BY Slowy
Delayman wrote:I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

Not really that relevant for this thread but I find when I don't have a strat, there is a gap.

Why not? Works for SX.
BY jeremyb
Delayman wrote:I was looking at a Mexican strat that's listed near me and wondering if it's worth getting a cheaper guitar and up-speccing with better pickups and bridge etc.

It's what I did with my Tele, MIM stock pickups were trash and I managed to find a pair of custom shop ones from a USA model going cheap on reverb or eBay, added the obsidian wire 4 way Tele kit and haven't looked back :)

Has to be a keeper though, will never get my money back!
BY Mike Clayton
The thing for me is, an SX or Mexi Strat is always just that and ultimately leaves me yearning. No matter how much I spend or how good it sounds. Plus you mostly always lose on the resale. A genuine USA Strat is always that and will hold its resale value especially if unmolested. Not saying that the others can't be great instruments.
BY Bg
I'm currently fettling a tele sx neck for my blackwood tele. I've been making a neck for that one for the last two years (its doubtful I'll get it finished in the next 2 years) so I want something attached to the bloody thing :)
Its a good neck made way better by stripping amber lacquer, rounding over in places, refretting and dressing properly.
BY Lostininverness
Bg wrote:I'm currently fettling a tele sx neck for my blackwood tele. I've been making a neck for that one for the last two years (its doubtful I'll get it finished in the next 2 years) so I want something attached to the bloody thing :)
Its a good neck made way better by stripping amber lacquer, rounding over in places, refretting and dressing properly.

How do you find the blackwood as a body wood? I got some PNG grown rosewood to use as a drop top and tryin to think of a good body wood to pair it with. Will likely hollow the snot out of the body - see if I can get some acoustic resonance.
BY Bg
Sounds great to me, naturally resonant but I did get the wood from Adrian, so it was always going to be good.
BY GrantB
Danny had a great Road Worn Strat ages ago...they can be very good.
BY calling card
I really want to dispose of my skinny little fretboard fingertip dragging Fender frets... procrastination
BY AiRdAd
GrantB wrote:Danny had a great Road Worn Strat ages ago...they can be very good.

Still got it :-)
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
First guitar I bought was a 1990 MIM Strat, one of the few guitars I still have and it's honestly better than many of the USA's I have played.

Guess it's kinda like my Tokai, an absolute killer LP with the wrong name on the headstock. Depends on whether that's gonna bother you after a while or not