GUITAR: oh, cliche topic - what picks do you use!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: GUITAR: oh, cliche topic - what picks do you use!

Post by codedog »

rickenbackerkid wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:Yes, I do. I started using them on acoustic for finger style, then realised I could play flat pick stuff with them, and move between flatpicking and fingerpicking very easily. Then I tried them on on electric and just liked it, have been using them ever since.
Do you mold them to your thumb?
No ... pray tell - how is this black magic molding done?
I suspect it involves softening the plastic, perhaps thermally, and adjusting the size.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

codedog wrote:
rickenbackerkid wrote:
Terexgeek wrote: Do you mold them to your thumb?
No ... pray tell - how is this black magic molding done?
I suspect it involves softening the plastic, perhaps thermally, and adjusting the size.
Exactly, BG and back in the day Tsuken experimented with it. I'm not sure whether it was boiling water or some other heating method. I was curious as I find the sensation of picking with the thumb pick awkward and uncomfortable no matter what I do.
I plan to develop a Wes Montgomery style callus on the side of my thumb instead!
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah it works pretty well, just let the boiling water cool a bit before you go fishing in there for your pick.... or use tweezers or something :D
You can mould it perfectly to your thumb/chosen digit.

Oh once its formed, drop it in a cup of cold water to set it!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

This has given me a good idea for using a thumb pick on bass - doh, how stupid of me not to think of that! Seamless transitions!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I superglued a normal pick to a thumbpick once, to emulate the pick clip thing some shredder dude developed...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

klarkash-ton wrote:
Lyle wrote:
I normally scuff the pick up to give me a bit more grip to stop this happening. The picks I use now have holes in them which seems to stop them rotating

What is this ghostly pick brand?
BHL, I think the guy who makes them is an Australian living in Hong Kong.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

rickenbackerkid wrote:
codedog wrote: I have been learning to use a thumbpick too. It's quite a challenge, not the least being my thumb now moves much further from the string than I'm used to! I briefly thought about filing down the pick to a shorter length. I don't suppose you do that to yours?
No, I don't. In fact it annoys me when they wear down too short and I must have about 10 in my pick bag and every gig I'm trying to find the longest one. I did buy a pack of flexible plastic ones that i found pretty much unusable. They have to be pretty heavy and hard in my opinion.
Hmm... new acoustic presenter on Andertons seems to use thumbpick for everything. Strumming sounds harsh though. Not sure if that's his style, the pick, the guitar, or a combination of some/all of those three.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

He's fairly slamming the guitar! He's got finger picks on too, when you play hard with metal picks it's always going to be pretty hard sounding.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Always struggled with picks, tried all types and gauges, then I watched a doco on Brian May talking about his sixpence, he uses the older high silver content as they are much softer on strings. So off to Trade me I went, found a bunch of old NZ silver sixpence and never looked back, no rotating (O), grip is good, comfortable, nice attack, and sweeping is cool due to the grooves on he side. Best thing is they never break or wear out!!!!!!!