Bay City Music Closing Down

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Bay City Music Closing Down

Post by KNNZ »

Anyone in Tauranga here keen to checkout what closing down specials they got?

I like reverse headstocks!
https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... da5482-001

sligo ray
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Bay City Music Closing Down

Post by sligo ray »

I visited on Saturday for the first time in a few years. Was a regular customer of Stu’s when he had Weirs in Hamilton. I didn’t notice the closing down sign on the window so I was shocked at the lack of stock when I walked in. As I was walking out the woman on the counter (Nicola?) told me everything was 25% off. That’s when I tumbled to it. A shame to see another Mum and Dad store going under.
There is no normal life, Wyatt...there's just Life.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sligo ray wrote:I visited on Saturday for the first time in a few years. Was a regular customer of Stu’s when he had Weirs in Hamilton. I didn’t notice the closing down sign on the window so I was shocked at the lack of stock when I walked in. As I was walking out the woman on the counter (Nicola?) told me everything was 25% off. That’s when I tumbled to it. A shame to see another Mum and Dad store going under.
Everyone wants the cheapest deal, so internet rules. Sad but its a slippery slope that can never be stopped.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

sligo ray wrote:A shame to see another Mum and Dad store going under.
Completely agree with you, and as a former shop owner I know exactly how tough it is to compete with online and all of the other external sources.

Welcome to the foum btw :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I just want to add that 98% of my business goes to nz shops. Price match the rockshops etc. You get warranty blah blah blah.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KNNZ »

can't match the 98% of BGs, but I've bought/still buying heaps from local nz shops, bought a few guitars, strings, straps, picks, Helix LT, HX Stomp, katana, vox amps, lots of guitar leads, cases etc.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KNNZ »

sligo ray
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sligo ray »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Completely agree with you, and as a former shop owner I know exactly how tough it is to compete with online and all of the other external sources.

Thanks. I’ve been around but not posting.

My recent experience has led me away from internet buying and back to visiting shops and actually playing gear. That’s why seeing Bay City going away is disappointing. Always found the personal touch and interest without pressure to buy good. I also think knowing your customers is worth a small markup. Visiting the most recently well-known music shop in the UK was a bit of an eye opener for me. So now I look closer to home and hope to support those local businesses.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

sligo ray wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:

Thanks. I’ve been around but not posting.

My recent experience has led me away from internet buying and back to visiting shops and actually playing gear. That’s why seeing Bay City going away is disappointing. Always found the personal touch and interest without pressure to buy good. I also think knowing your customers is worth a small markup. Visiting the most recently well-known music shop in the UK was a bit of an eye opener for me. So now I look closer to home and hope to support those local businesses.
Probably worth noting that said well-know music shop is a huge success because of the huge amount of internet sales it does, allowing it to have an awesome local presence (in Guildford?).
Tin arse!!

sligo ray
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sligo ray »

Yes, well-spotted. Service was friendly, but processes precluded a significant sale.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

sligo ray wrote:Yes, well-spotted. Service was friendly, but processes precluded a significant sale.
Shame, I have had the opposite experience of ordering something from Andertons and receiving it in less time than it took Musicworks to tell me that the item wasn't in stock.
Tin arse!!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Mind you, that was Musicworks, not an associated independent store.
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

KNNZ wrote:can't match the 98% of BGs, but I've bought/still buying heaps from local nz shops, bought a few guitars, strings, straps, picks, Helix LT, HX Stomp, katana, vox amps, lots of guitar leads, cases etc.
I tend to buy stuff online thats not viable to buy here usually - bigsbys, stetsbar etc. and stuff from stewmac/mojotone.

And stuff from the good people here :D

Recent interaction with RS has ensured all major purchases will be through them for some time to come. After 3 Headrush pedalboards failing and their exceptional service, they came to the party with a Helix LT for a few bucks added - and this was without name dropping RS Dave. They are just very good.

If I'd had to send it back to the UK/Europe or the States 3 times I'd have been extremely pissed off.

sligo ray
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sligo ray »

Have to agree about RS service, with the caveat that in-shop assistance can be hit or miss. I’ve enquired about two guitars that they moved around the country for me to try, faster than they promised. Both resulted in sales. I do find the lack of a demo room at the Hamilton shop a turn off. I visited Deluxe Guitars in Melbourne late last year and their set up was stellar in this sense and reminded me how its important to be able to demo stuff “at operating level” without worrying about pissing everyone else off.
The Andertons thing was more about their policy to not accept credit card payment in person over a low limit. By the time I got home, I’d found the same guitar locally, had it moved to ToonTown to check in person, and saved significant dollars in exchange rate and shipping.
The biggest problem I have locally is not having the range of guitars to try in person. Or perhaps I just need to get out more? :lol:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:
KNNZ wrote:can't match the 98% of BGs, but I've bought/still buying heaps from local nz shops, bought a few guitars, strings, straps, picks, Helix LT, HX Stomp, katana, vox amps, lots of guitar leads, cases etc.
I tend to buy stuff online thats not viable to buy here usually - bigsbys, stetsbar etc. and stuff from stewmac/mojotone.

And stuff from the good people here :D

Recent interaction with RS has ensured all major purchases will be through them for some time to come. After 3 Headrush pedalboards failing and their exceptional service, they came to the party with a Helix LT for a few bucks added - and this was without name dropping RS Dave. They are just very good.

If I'd had to send it back to the UK/Europe or the States 3 times I'd have been extremely pissed off.
Same as BG, if it's from Rockshop, I will purchase there first, had fantastic service there, also great service from PB when he was at Musicplanet. I have bought from Musicworks, but have found the supply chain inefficient, the pricing expensive and the head office attitude indifferent. The Yamaha I wanted took over a week for Musicworks to confirm it wasn't available, then arrived 5 days after ordering from Andertons cheaper than it would've cost to source from Musicworks, had they had the stock.
Tin arse!!