Hot swap pickup connectors

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Hot swap pickup connectors

Post by bender »

I've got a second pair of pickups on the way for my Jazzmaster and figured that, since the pickups are mounted directly to the guitar, it would be a cool idea to make it possible to swap pickups without completely dismantling the guitar. Loosen the strings, unscrew the pickups, disconnect hot-swap connectors and replace. A bit of research delivered up a couple of good ideas using things like Molex connectors, but I really wanted to me able to change the phase easily, so I went with individual connectors per conductor.

Ingredients:
12-pin connector with individually crimped pins and sockets + heatshrink. That's all.

I made up 2 pairs of flying leads to wire to the pickup switch. One set of individual leads and one using braided shielded cable. Just soldered the socket side of the connectors to the leads and heat shrinked them.

Installed them in the Jazzmaster this morning, as well as modding the rhythm circuit (so that I can use both pickups, rather than just the neck one as it is in its stock form). Here are the connectors poking out of the pickup cavity.

Et voila!

Works a treat! I'll wire up the connectors to the new pickups when they arrive and Fanny's your aunt. Going to wire up my tele like this too, and maybe the Corvette.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Hot swap pickup connectors

Post by Jay »

Not using the plastic Molex bits is the way to go!!!! I could not get mine to seat properly and when pushing the two bits of the connector together, inevitably, there would be a wonky connection.

As I did wanted a single 'action' to connect the pickup, I went for another type of connector which worked well.... but had two disadvantages: bulky and exposed pins on the female connector bit.

That looks great and neat work Ben :thumbup:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

It was super easy too. Really stoked with it.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Shit. I got your message about this and never responded.

It looks like you worked it out.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:Shit. I got your message about this and never responded.

Ha! Cheers. Wasn't sure if you'd got that message. I might need to hit you up for some other things soon too :-)

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Looks great. Nice compact connectors too, not asa bulky as a spade connector or something which might be a consideration for some with tight cavities (IB;JB).

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

bender wrote:It was super easy too. Really stoked with it.
Was it difficult to do?
Are you satisfied with the result ?

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

bender wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:Shit. I got your message about this and never responded.

Ha! Cheers. Wasn't sure if you'd got that message. I might need to hit you up for some other things soon too :-)
Ben unleashed

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Brilliant timing Ben; I'm about to do the Aria. Where do you get these things?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Brilliant! This is one of those things which seems incomprehensible that it isn't standard. Good job!

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote:Brilliant timing Ben; I'm about to do the Aria. Where do you get these things?
Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12-pin-multi-p ... t/p/PP2026

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

mttn3 wrote:Brilliant! This is one of those things which seems incomprehensible that it isn't standard. Good job!
Yeah, its not a massive deal for some guitars, but for Jazzmasters and especially 335s it's such a handy thing to be able to do.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote:
Slowy wrote:Brilliant timing Ben; I'm about to do the Aria. Where do you get these things?
Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/12-pin-multi-p ... t/p/PP2026
Thank you.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

mttn3 wrote:Brilliant! This is one of those things which seems incomprehensible that it isn't standard. Good job!
Adds extra work and the manufacturer is basically saying my pickups are sheit. :sarc:

Also, if you have 4 wire pickups, you should really use colour coded shrinkwrap.

And the pins Bender used don't lock without the plastic bit. I doubt this will be a problem but I suppose if you are rocking really hard they could vibrate loose?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

It can't be that much extra work. The extra convenience of soldering a connector in the pickups manufacturing place and in the wiring loom assembly place then just plugging them in at assembly time would be offset somewhat by not having to solder them in place on the guitar. If there was ever any rework required at QC for a scratched body or whatever, that woild be a nother time saver.

I guess tone suck is an issue with connectors, oxidation of terminals and all that, possibility of loose connections. .. Introducing a join and any additional human work is a quality issue. It would be more convenient though. Ok, i see the reasons, but nevertheless I love convenience and versatility in my things.

I wonder if bolt-on necks are an admission that the necks suck too. Hmm