Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7770
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 464 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote: To be fair there's a little more to that case, third degree burns and being hospitalised is not a "hot" cup of coffee but a dangerously scalding cup of coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

I suspect that an 82 to 88 degree coffee cup wouldn't do that, but an indifferently microwaved cup definitely could get super heated above boiling point, making it a dangerous thing to do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

Have I proof? No. Does it fit the evidence? Mostly.

Is it impossible that a McDonalds branch would use up the last of a cool coffee pot by heating it and then avoid admitting it to the Corporation?
Terexgeek wrote: If your healthcare isn't covered by insurance, you have little choice in the land that has the highest healthcare costs in the world. In fact your insurance company may only cover you IF you sue. Like the woman who had to sue to get her insurance to pay out and got roasted on the internet because that part was missed in all the news stories: https://nypost.com/2015/10/14/aunt-who- ... wyer-says/
Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
I have the memory of a... um... what are those things called again?

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7770
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 464 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

As an aside (it is certainly a slow day here), my brother has been burned by hot coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru in the UK, which he claimed was because the lid wasn't on properly.

He got legal advice and tried to go after them for compensation, but got a response that essentially translated to "it was a hot coffee, you should have been more careful. Also please note our lawyers are way more expensive than yours".
I have the memory of a... um... what are those things called again?

User avatar
Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 1373 times
Been liked: 453 times
Contact:

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:As an aside (it is certainly a slow day here), my brother has been burned by hot coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru in the UK, which he claimed was because the lid wasn't on properly.

He got legal advice and tried to go after them for compensation, but got a response that essentially translated to "it was a hot coffee, you should have been more careful. Also please note our lawyers are way more expensive than yours".
In the UK, with funded healthcare, probably fair response?
Tin Awesome Random Samick Experience!!

User avatar
Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 1373 times
Been liked: 453 times
Contact:

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Terexgeek wrote: To be fair there's a little more to that case, third degree burns and being hospitalised is not a "hot" cup of coffee but a dangerously scalding cup of coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

I suspect that an 82 to 88 degree coffee cup wouldn't do that, but an indifferently microwaved cup definitely could get super heated above boiling point, making it a dangerous thing to do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

Have I proof? No. Does it fit the evidence? Mostly.

Is it impossible that a McDonalds branch would use up the last of a cool coffee pot by heating it and then avoid admitting it to the Corporation?
Terexgeek wrote: If your healthcare isn't covered by insurance, you have little choice in the land that has the highest healthcare costs in the world. In fact your insurance company may only cover you IF you sue. Like the woman who had to sue to get her insurance to pay out and got roasted on the internet because that part was missed in all the news stories: https://nypost.com/2015/10/14/aunt-who- ... wyer-says/
Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Yeah, and sick of clickbait headlines.
Tin Awesome Random Samick Experience!!

User avatar
calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Hoodoo dump, BOP
Has liked: 568 times
Been liked: 214 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by calling card »

Anyone thought & prayed yet?
"Well the rain aint fussy 'bout where it lands..." - Rory Gallagher

User avatar
Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4546
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 1373 times
Been liked: 453 times
Contact:

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Probably over caffeinated looking at the stack of work I've plowed through today!
Tin Awesome Random Samick Experience!!

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7770
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 464 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Probably over caffeinated looking at the stack of work I've plowed through today!
I must be under caffeinated then, looking at the stack of work I've avoided today :D
I have the memory of a... um... what are those things called again?

User avatar
willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 14558
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:36 pm
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 443 times
Been liked: 734 times
Contact:

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by willow13 »

Danger Mouse wrote: I reckon it is a bit of a stretch in real terms, but in the litigation-mad US, where they have to put warnings on coffee cups that the contents may be hot, even the smallest risk could be used to term the guitars unsafe.
probably never a truer word spoken
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 28414
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 4600 times
Been liked: 2468 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by jeremyb »

#gayerformayer
Slowy wrote: But bullshit and guitars is what we do here. It's all we do here.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 16354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 527 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by hamo »

Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 28414
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 4600 times
Been liked: 2468 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
I'm the same, I'm really nervous about touching let alone playing people's custom guitars, homebuilt or otherwise!!
#gayerformayer
Slowy wrote: But bullshit and guitars is what we do here. It's all we do here.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 16354
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 527 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote:
Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
I'm the same, I'm really nervous about touching let alone playing people's custom guitars, homebuilt or otherwise!!
Lawrence's guitars are beautiful too. I get ham hands just looking at them, like I wouldn't be able to play anything remotely worthwhile.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

User avatar
Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3589
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 1921 times
Been liked: 373 times
Contact:

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Cdog »

Bam! Ouchies. Which shape is next?

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7770
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 464 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

I still don't understand why the big cheifs at Gibson don't get how much damage they are doing to their brand with all this legal cat fighting.
I have the memory of a... um... what are those things called again?

User avatar
Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 1340
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: Beta Canum Venaticorum
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 390 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Lawrence »

hamo wrote:
Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
egads .. a dredge from a dark day! :oops:

yes thanks for the nice comments everybody....and it is time that we had another wellington gearfest!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Post Reply