Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Bg »

Lawrence wrote:The obsession with one or two "traditional" or "historic" guitars, amplifier, heck even stomp boxes is something I really dont understand. To be fair,while rock and roll is still young....(and its not dead, it just smells funny) but technology has driven shorter change cycles, and therefore the slow evolution that made, say, a violin be a very fixed design concept might have happened in a much shorter time.
Regardless, the refusal by most guitarists to consider anything that is not a 50 year old design in guitars (and amps generally) is weird. The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
The Israeli chap who builds the Les Paul copies comes to mind....So the Les Paul is a very succesful product - its sound has been well received by the market and its pretty - and people put up with it's design failures (weight, poor upper fret access, uncomfortable bridge etc). But the replicas are built as if there is some fundamental voodoo about the design...

Personaly I think its sad that Gibson get derided whenever they try something new...though I have to admit some of the ideas are pretty weird...Perhaps they should give me a job!
I used to love doing blues gigs with my steiny. I really need another, sadly I can't see it happening.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Terexgeek wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Yeh what a cock
That video is really off putting. Arrogant. What makes buying expensive high end stuff worth it a lot of the time is the connection to the builder / artist. Who wants to be connected to this leather clad fucktard?
lets scare people into respecting our brand ?? Is that their vibe ? Fuck off. I'll take my jazzmaster and my harvester thanks very much.
This point makes me curious why more people aren't interested in Musicman or G&L, "It must be Fender" makes me scratch my head a bit. I don't lose sleep but I find humans endlessly interesting.
My harvester isnt made by fender ... Im not really 'it must be' sort of guy. Generally the only 'must' is that it works and I get a good vibe out of the purchase.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Lawrence wrote: The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
I used to love doing blues gigs with my steiny. I really need another, sadly I can't see it happening.
I gigged a P-Series Steinberger for a couple of years. It was bought for purely practical reasons (fast string changes meant I didn't need to carry keep an eye on a back-up guitar all night) but sounded great and was visually very different. Paired with a G-K 250ML it was the most compact rig ever. But, yes, you'd get dickhead comments from folk in Naaaathen working men's clubs.

As for all the 'historic' blah blah. There has to be enough inconsistency in sixty year old guitars for some to be great and others less so.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
Lawrence wrote: The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
I gigged a P-Series Steinberger for a couple of years. It was bought for purely practical reasons (fast string changes meant I didn't need to carry keep an eye on a back-up guitar all night) but sounded great and was visually very different. Paired with a G-K 250ML it was the most compact rig ever. But, yes, you'd get dickhead comments from folk in Naaaathen working men's clubs.

As for all the 'historic' blah blah. There has to be enough inconsistency in sixty year old guitars for some to be great and others less so.
My Spirit Steinie is the perfect travel/practice guitar, chunky neck, big frets and plugged into my Pandora it takes up very little space to play.
Tin arse!!

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:
Lawrence wrote:The obsession with one or two "traditional" or "historic" guitars, amplifier, heck even stomp boxes is something I really dont understand. To be fair,while rock and roll is still young....(and its not dead, it just smells funny) but technology has driven shorter change cycles, and therefore the slow evolution that made, say, a violin be a very fixed design concept might have happened in a much shorter time.
Regardless, the refusal by most guitarists to consider anything that is not a 50 year old design in guitars (and amps generally) is weird. The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
The Israeli chap who builds the Les Paul copies comes to mind....So the Les Paul is a very succesful product - its sound has been well received by the market and its pretty - and people put up with it's design failures (weight, poor upper fret access, uncomfortable bridge etc). But the replicas are built as if there is some fundamental voodoo about the design...

Personaly I think its sad that Gibson get derided whenever they try something new...though I have to admit some of the ideas are pretty weird...Perhaps they should give me a job!
You can do it
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Long time Steinberger player here.
In a number of ways it's simply 'better' than other instruments
I understand it's not for everyone

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Gibson fucked Steinberger!!
And Tobias!!

Fuck you Gibson!!

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Conway wrote:

Probably time I did a NGD thread on my Relish guitar. I'm sure you'd be interested Lawrence, it has some very interesting design features.
We will be in a Pickle if you don't.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Yeh what a cock
That video is really off putting. Arrogant. What makes buying expensive high end stuff worth it a lot of the time is the connection to the builder / artist. Who wants to be connected to this leather clad fucktard?
lets scare people into respecting our brand ?? Is that their vibe ? Fuck off. I'll take my jazzmaster and my harvester thanks very much.
This point makes me curious why more people aren't interested in Musicman or G&L, "It must be Fender" makes me scratch my head a bit. I don't lose sleep but I find humans endlessly interesting.
My harvester isnt made by fender ... Im not really 'it must be' sort of guy. Generally the only 'must' is that it works and I get a good vibe out of the purchase.
You could Combine the Harvester in the Relish thread so we had a singular point of reference

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:

If IIRC Mike Rutherford Genesis may have been involved with this design
( maybe it was the M series)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Lawrence wrote: As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...
As an aside, do you have any experience of lacewood as a tonewood in an electric guitar? Was just looking at a CS Strat from 2003 with a lacewood body but can't find any information about the tonal characteristics.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

foal30 wrote:
Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:

Yes that was the M, which mine was with transtrem. Calibrated strings though.....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:
foal30 wrote:
Molly wrote:

Yes that was the M, which mine was with transtrem. Calibrated strings though.....
The transtrem sounds like a good time.
Tin arse!!

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Molly wrote:
Lawrence wrote: As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...
As an aside, do you have any experience of lacewood as a tonewood in an electric guitar? Was just looking at a CS Strat from 2003 with a lacewood body but can't find any information about the tonal characteristics.
I've not heard or used lacewood myself - but it turns up a lot in the various Luthier Fora. Its very pretty. My info says this
Lacewood tops:
Lacewood has a hard “swiss cheese” type skeleton, with soft bits inside the “holes.” Because of its combination of soft and hard sections, it’s more likely to take on the tone of the back wood. Only when thicker will it start to apply its own tonal signature to the body. It’s like drilling ½” holes in Koa and filling them with Alder plugs. It has good top end and sustain from the harder skeleton, and a heavily combed midrange and low end from the smaller, softer sections throughout.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

foal30 wrote:Gibson fucked Steinberger!!
And Tobias!!

Fuck you Gibson!!
You'd think they'd have had such great experience with headless guitars before they bought them!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.