Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

Post by jeremyb »

Could they have got the bridge pickup any closer to the bridge?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:48 pm Wow, I was happier before I knew this existed.

https://www.ishibashi-music.jp/category ... /pid/82995
Heavy, ferociously bright, hated and ignored when issued, I've seen them fail to sell for $600.
What's to like?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:41 am
robthemac wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:48 pm Wow, I was happier before I knew this existed.

Heavy, ferociously bright, hated and ignored when issued, I've seen them fail to sell for $600.
What's to like?
That’s my experience also. No need to stress over this one Rob

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Cdog wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:27 am

How did it ruin your happiness? Want but dont have? :think:
I had an image of Gibson L-x models are the traditional, classy pinnacle of big-name hollowbodies. Something aspirational, without being as unobtainable as the Benedetto and other small-volume makers.

And now every time I think of an L-5, this is going to intrude into my consciousness.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

My only guitar is an L6-S Custom, made in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1977. I bought it from Bill Latimer in 1997. It is lightweight, easy to play and makes a wide range of tones with its six-position selector. They usually sell for between $2,500 and $3,000. The Ishibashi example, which is in very good condition, looks like a good value.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:22 am
Cdog wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:27 am

How did it ruin your happiness? Want but dont have? :think:
I had an image of Gibson L-x models are the traditional, classy pinnacle of big-name hollowbodies. Something aspirational, without being as unobtainable as the Benedetto and other small-volume makers.

And now every time I think of an L-5, this is going to intrude into my consciousness.
I'm confused; you're talking hollowbodies and posting pictures of L-6s. Sure you don't mean an L-5S?
L-5S.JPG
L-5S.JPG (55.92 KiB) Viewed 4144 times

I love the care and attention that went into bookmatching the top!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Litterick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:19 pm My only guitar is an L6-S Custom, made in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1977. I bought it from Bill Latimer in 1997. It is lightweight, easy to play and makes a wide range of tones with its six-position selector. They usually sell for between $2,500 and $3,000. The Ishibashi example, which is in very good condition, looks like a good value.
Well that puts me in my place then! :rofl:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Litterick wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:19 pm My only guitar is an L6-S Custom, made in Kalamazoo, Michigan in 1977. I bought it from Bill Latimer in 1997. It is lightweight, easy to play and makes a wide range of tones with its six-position selector. They usually sell for between $2,500 and $3,000. The Ishibashi example, which is in very good condition, looks like a good value.
I love this. Tone is such a subjective thing, there are no right answers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:01 pm
I love this. Tone is such a subjective thing, there are no right answers.
Truth is, any playable guitar will have at least one sound I can use.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

I am always looking for an additional guitar that will make other tones, but so far I have not found one that is sufficiently different.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Ykes! I don't think the paint on a 2017 guitar should look like this. Almost looks like the timber was still wet when they painted it! Check out the back of the neck and headstock.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... f=M01f3vee

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Basket Case wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:20 pm Ykes! I don't think the paint on a 2017 guitar should look like this. Almost looks like the timber was still wet when they painted it! Check out the back of the neck and headstock.

I think it's fine. My most recently painted guitar is checking massively after just a few months.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Basket Case wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:20 pm Ykes! I don't think the paint on a 2017 guitar should look like this. Almost looks like the timber was still wet when they painted it! Check out the back of the neck and headstock.

It could totally check in a couple of day if the temperature shift is big enough (ie shipping during cold days and instantly opened in a warm room etc).
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Well at least it hasn't fallen off!

Interesting though. Where's the distinction between a finish applied with utter contempt for the customer and a treasured relic?
To Gibson's credit, they have caused me to ponder this for years.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

What you call 'utter contempt' is just smart marketing by a company that understands what (a segment of) the market wants. QC not required and relic price up. What's not too like?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.