Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1413 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:53 am
H671 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:06 am

I know all about picks bouncing off pickups :roll: The lack of this characteristic is an endearing aspect of Teles and Juniors.
My Epiphone Riviera as received from the factory, has the middle pickup set lower than the others to alleviate this issue. I also tend to use the middle pickup volume control more as a tone control by blending the volume with the others - it can take out some of the potential ice pickiness of the bridge pickup or mellow out the neck pickup. Other times the middle volume is backed right off giving a brighter overall sound. I like the 3 pickup setup for its versatility.
Single P90 and picking dynamics. Job done. :D
Fixed.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:56 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:53 am
H671 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:42 am

My Epiphone Riviera as received from the factory, has the middle pickup set lower than the others to alleviate this issue. I also tend to use the middle pickup volume control more as a tone control by blending the volume with the others - it can take out some of the potential ice pickiness of the bridge pickup or mellow out the neck pickup. Other times the middle volume is backed right off giving a brighter overall sound. I like the 3 pickup setup for its versatility.
Single P90 and picking dynamics. Job done. :D
Fixed.
That too.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 652 times
Been liked: 552 times

Post by TmcB »

robthemac wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:39 pm Has anyone ever really played a Les Paul Standard and thought "nope, needs another humbucker in the middle of nowhere"?
This has had me lol’ing all day
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 587 times

Post by Starfire »

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

https://loviesguitars.com/product/aweso ... made-ohsc/
Screenshot_20220918_161910.jpg
Screenshot_20220918_161910.jpg (580.09 KiB) Viewed 2062 times
I wonder if you got a complementary mag as case candy?

💦💦💦👌👈

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

Uh oh....

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:42 pm Uh oh....

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

He spins me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, round round round round...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:42 pm Uh oh....

TL;DW. What's the short version?

Gibson makes worse guitars than everybody who makes Gibson-style guitars. So, rather than up their game their strategy is to sue the competition out of business? Something like that?

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

Tab has been out of production for two years. Reading a page from Guitar.com is not quality broadcasting. He seems to be misreading 'second amended' as 'Second Amendment.'

Here is the Guitar.com article:
https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/g ... e-guitars/

[Editor’s note: Vista Musical Instruments and NME Networks, Guitar.com’s parent company, are part of Caldecott Music Group]

Here is a Forbes article that explains the history of Gibson's litigation:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhoc ... ar-shapes/

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

I really like the burst on that Lester in the video. Personally don't care who made it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Gibson must be so awful. You probably never see them much on stage, in recording studios and retaining their value.

🤥

There must be something wrong with my SG Special - I widdled away on it for hours yesterday, and it didn't go out of tune once. Stupid thing.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Gibson make some excellent guitars, they have also let some poorly made guitars out of the factory over the years (to be fair so have other American makers) but they seem to have a knack of doing dumb corporate things and pissing people off. As a company I still don't like them, I even stopped considering their guitars for a while. I recently picked up a late LP Special and it is a fantastic guitar, odd flecks in the clear lacquer aside.

In general the latest guitars do seem to be seeing a genuine improvement in QA over some of the earlier years in my (little) experience. I like what they have done with the model range, I like the new Pickup Shop and Gibson TV.

I just wish they would stop fucking with everyone else that builds a guitar that looks remotely like one of theirs, its too late for that shit. They just need to concentrate on making great instruments with their name on the headstock. 99% of people will choose a Gibson headstock over a Tokai headstock purely because of the name, they have already won in the "Brand" arena.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3470 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by codedog »

Wow, this is quite something. Just saw a TPS video with Joey Landreth where they were talking about his recent gold top Sorokin guitar. His previous Sorokin gold top was LP shaped. Apparently the luthier, who produces 1 or 2 guitars a year, got a hefty email from Gibson saying he could not use the LP shape! I haven't verified any facts about the luthier but, if true, that's pretty shitty of Gibson IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB5akEKrIRE&t=3002s

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

I thought gibson only had the copyright on the diamond control layout, which is why PRS are allowed to produce single cuts? This was a few years back mind.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.