A good acoustic in the $1-1500 range?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

I am an absolute acoustic guitar noob.

But I'm thinking of selling the MIM Strat, saving a bit and spending somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range for a nice acoustic guitar. My wife has always wanted a Taylor, so that will definitely get a look in. But that said, I'm sure she could be talked around. :D

I know this is one of "those" threads... and I promise I am not on the red wine. But are certain models/brands known for the quality of their construction at this price point?
Last edited by Pastasauce on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Re: A good acoustic in the $1-1500 range?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Check out the Cole Clark Fat Lady 1. Also low end Larrivees are in that bracket and sound amazing.

or add another zero and get a Lowden O10, my favorite ever guitar.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Someone else will, no doubt, remind you to try first.
I bought one for my wife, but in the $400-$500 range. It ended up being a Fender. Took her along with me. What was interesting was that they all felt different to her and me and she liked the feel of the Fender best. And the sound was much better than anything else in the price range we tried. Even the Takamine's, which I thought might have been better didn't sound as good.

Some of them sounded quite muddy,dull, call it what you will. The Fender had the best sound so it was all good in the end, but the variation between brands suprised me. In the end it wasn't a hard decision to make.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

bbrunskill wrote:Check out the Cole Clark Fat Lady 1. Also low end Larrivees are in that bracket and sound amazing.

or add another zero and get a Lowden O10, my favorite ever guitar.
Takamine are worthy of a look too apparently. Though this is anecdotal, I've got a cort with a solid top, sounds shit under my fingers but damn impressive under anyone else's :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Checked out some Aussie reviewing the Cole Clark FL1 on Youtube. Sounded nice.

According to him, it's made with really lovely teemba.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Low end LArrivees are $1895, and one of the best acoustics I've heard. The low end Martins are sensational value, and start at $1195. Some of the Crafters at $449 sound especially nice. Guild GAD series starts at about $1500, and are nice with the right strings on them too.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

I'm currently borrowing sabbath_bloody_sabbath's Blueridge acoustic which he picked up new for $1200 a few years back. It's not a bad guitar, sounds pretty decent and plays quite nicely with the 12 gauge (lol) strings that are on it. In saying that though I'm not an expert when it comes to acoustics, but I like to think I know nice tone when I hear it :wink:

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

X2 for the corts, dig through them and you can find some good sounding ones, don't know any specific models, but they'd save you a lot of unnecessary coin, played a skinny one once with nylon strings, sounded massive, and only $349 at the music shop in Taupo!

Yamaha have some decent solid tops in that price range too, wouldn't bother with a laminate, they all sound dull to me!

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

I would go Blueridge. Gorilla Guitars have quite a few models in Manukau Rd in your price range.
I have a 15 year old Blueridge and it's an absolute stunner, like a Martin.
Cort make some nice quality instruments too.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

aliasceiza wrote:X2 for the corts, dig through them and you can find some good sounding ones, don't know any specific models, but they'd save you a lot of unnecessary coin, played a skinny one once with nylon strings, sounded massive, and only $349 at the music shop in Taupo!

Yamaha have some decent solid tops in that price range too, wouldn't bother with a laminate, they all sound dull to me!
Stoopid question: what is a a laminate? And how can you tell it's a laminate? Thanks.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

plywood...

very thin plywood none the less - cheaper to produce and not as good apparently. As far as acoustics I have tin-ears so wouldn't know the difference.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Rhettsauce wrote:
what is a a laminate? And how can you tell it's a laminate? Thanks.
Is a a trink!
Is a a need shugga or is a a make you face screwed up.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Post by Slowy »

You haven't mentioned size preferences, playing style and whether it will be played amplified. This is where you need to start.

If you want it for hard strumming, ideally you'd get a Jumbo but if you're 5'2 tall that wouldn't work. :P

Smaller bodies, (Martin OM & 000) are considered to have a better sonic balance for fingerpicking. They are also a good choice to amplify as they're not as boomy as a Dreadnaught.

If you're playing in an acoustic ensemble, a rosewood dreadnaught can't be beat.

0 and 00 size instruments, also known as parlour guitars can sound really good for blues styles.

The back and sides timber is also a consideration:

Maple: (uncommon in your price bracket) snappy, bright sound

Mahogany: Warm midrange, sweet tinkling treble, moderate bass.

Rosewood: Strong bass and treble. Great projection.

I've been a lifelong Martin fan but $1500 is a bit light. A friend just paid closer to $2k for a Martin with plastic back and sides and a plywood neck. It offends every bone in my body but damn, it's a good sounding instrument.

Also a Larrivee fanboi. You might luck out a L01 or OM 01 for close to your money.

In Musicworks last week, I played two new Yamahas. I think they were A series, could be wrong. They had good pickups installed. The A1 was OK, about what you'd expect for $1195. The A3 was about $1500 and I was quite impressed. Recommend you try one.

If you ever see a Japanese made L model Yamaha you can afford, buy it. They are acoustic guitar's best kept secret.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Pastasauce »

Cheers - interesting stuff.

I'm short (5'7) and the guitar would mostly be used for strumming -

Ovation? :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2487 times

Post by Slowy »

Laminate:
Back and sides: Probably a given in your price bracket. Not the end of the world.

Top: Avoid at all costs! Look at the edge of the soundhole. You'll see if it's plywood or not.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.