Langcaster guitars....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Langcaster guitars....

Post by Single coil »

Back to the future.
Delorean.
V8 sounds.

Cmon, it had a midsize v6 in it.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1340 times
Been liked: 2077 times

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Being a lifelong motorcyclist I can attest to the fact it’s really annoying when motorcycles are dubbed with the wrong engine sounds.

I watched a film recently (can’t remember the name) and the BMW boxer twins were racing around the streets with inline 4 sounds dubbed over the top and it ruined the film completely to me because it sounds so stupid it breaks the whole illusion.
I watched a movie years ago where bike went from being a two stroke, to four stroke, then back again. It was an XR type during the street bits (two stroke sounds) and when they did a jump or something it was a CR or similar. Bastards.

I watched the Winston Churchill movie the other day. Pretty good actuall. I especially liked the quartz clock in his toilet, 30 years before it was available.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Back to the future bonus round: film set in 1955.
Gibson es- whatever wasn’t available until 1958.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

When Wayne was riding the GP bikes were V4 two strokes and now they're inline or V4 four strokes... An entirely different kettle of fish and those old school GP fans like myself would be well pissed off!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

bender wrote:
foal30 wrote:Yep. And everyone has their own quirks on what is of importance. Or the order of importance.
Indeed. I’m mixing a film about Wayne Gardener the GP motorbike racer at the moment and the dude doing to sound effects keeps putting in 2017 motorbikes for late 80s races. Seems to think they’re interchangeable when they sound totally different. Motorsport fans are not likely to be that forgiving...
They won't be forgiving at all. Gardener was from the golden era of 2 stroke GP bikes, modern GP bikes are 4 stroke. To a fan of that era, using a 4 stroke sound effect is sacrilege enough to turn them completely against the film, seriously.

There is no quicker way to piss off a petrolhead, I'd suggest a quiet word to the guy that he's tainting the credibility of the entire film.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

A little artistic licence is fine, but yeh - they’d probably be less offended with weed eater noises.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 414 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Danger Mouse wrote:
bender wrote:
foal30 wrote:Yep. And everyone has their own quirks on what is of importance. Or the order of importance.
Indeed. I’m mixing a film about Wayne Gardener the GP motorbike racer at the moment and the dude doing to sound effects keeps putting in 2017 motorbikes for late 80s races. Seems to think they’re interchangeable when they sound totally different. Motorsport fans are not likely to be that forgiving...
They won't be forgiving at all. Gardener was from the golden era of 2 stroke GP bikes, modern GP bikes are 4 stroke. To a fan of that era, using a 4 stroke sound effect is sacrilege enough to turn them completely against the film, seriously.

There is no quicker way to piss off a petrolhead, I'd suggest a quiet word to the guy that he's tainting the credibility of the entire film.
Don't worry- I've replaced them all. The brief I gave him for this sequence was to use sounds sourced from 3 specific races in 1987 and 1988.

I appreciate the responses though- feeling quite vindicated in my frustration.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

bender wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
bender wrote:

Don't worry- I've replaced them all. The brief I gave him for this sequence was to use sounds sourced from 3 specific races in 1987 and 1988.

I appreciate the responses though- feeling quite vindicated in my frustration.
Nice one, many the world over would thank you for doing that, if they knew.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Lancaster necks can be really nice if you rub some snake oil into the fret board. :D

I have to give the guy some credit though. My nephew's Dad had his fancy Strat stolen around 2000 or so. Lang heard about it and gave him a replacement strat. That was nice of him.

I have played it. it is very good although it really needs fret work now. The neck feels very good and the Fender style single coils sound good. I think it was a parts caster. I need to find out what the profile and measurements are, because if i ever build a strat that is the way I want the neck to be.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Being a lifelong motorcyclist I can attest to the fact it’s really annoying when motorcycles are dubbed with the wrong engine sounds.

I watched a film recently (can’t remember the name) and the BMW boxer twins were racing around the streets with inline 4 sounds dubbed over the top and it ruined the film completely to me because it sounds so stupid it breaks the whole illusion.
Wow I’m a complete outsider to that kind of thing! I would never notice. When I’m watching movies etc I deliberately ignore plot holes or anachronisms, I prefer to try and get lost in the story.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1628 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

Is this 2 or 4 stroke?

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Delayman wrote:

Wow I’m a complete outsider to that kind of thing! I would never notice. When I’m watching movies etc I deliberately ignore plot holes or anachronisms, I prefer to try and get lost in the story.
Would you notice if someone was say playing an Ibanez Soundgear bass or Mesa Boogie amp in a film set in the 60s. Or a Lancaster guitar for that matter?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

jvpp wrote:Is this 2 or 4 stroke?

I refuse to play that clip

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Delayman »

bender wrote:
Delayman wrote:

Would you notice if someone was say playing an Ibanez Soundgear bass or Mesa Boogie amp in a film set in the 60s. Or a Lancaster guitar for that matter?
Yes I probably would something that was so obviously wrong and I guess in a field I know. But I don’t let it ruin it.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I hate watching movies with bands playing where the musicians are clearly not fretting chords or changing with the music...same thing I guess