Langcaster guitars....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: Langcaster guitars....

Post by godgrinder »

Isn't kauri basically agathis that were used in $300 Squier's? I wonder being 35000-yo makes it any better haha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 945 times

Post by foal30 »

godgrinder wrote:Isn't kauri basically agathis that were used in $300 Squier's? I wonder being 35000-yo makes it any better haha.
Stu Spector made a run of 20000 year old basses

They fetched a good price IIRC

IME those that can actually tell the difference in wood tones struggle to functionally play their instrument.

Contensious post is contentious but yeah.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 414 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

foal30 wrote:
godgrinder wrote:Isn't kauri basically agathis that were used in $300 Squier's? I wonder being 35000-yo makes it any better haha.

IME those that can actually tell the difference in wood tones struggle to functionally play their instrument.

I can tell the difference and i struggle to functionally play my instrument so... yeah... you’re probably right

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

bender wrote:
foal30 wrote:

I can tell the difference and i struggle to functionally play my instrument so... yeah... you’re probably right
I had or was at least party to an in depth discussion/arguement / clusterfucks on bridge mass/density.

The point I was making was that unless it's set up on the same instrument it's tough to tell.

If I had enough $ to experiment on every variable in the end spending on music lessons would of been more useful.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 658 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Langcasters use special tone epoxy for this reason.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7641 times
Been liked: 4147 times

Post by jeremyb »

Necrodredge much! Why bother?!?!?!?!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Necrodredge much! Why bother?!?!?!?!
necro-axe to grind?

Nobody said they were ugly and shite. Not in this thread anyway. So don't know why... I quite liked the hideous headstock, don't understand the hatred. Don't really like chrome pup covers, but its taste eh.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

foal30 wrote:
bender wrote:
foal30 wrote:

I had or was at least party to an in depth discussion/arguement / clusterfucks on bridge mass/density.

The point I was making was that unless it's set up on the same instrument it's tough to tell.

If I had enough $ to experiment on every variable in the end spending on music lessons would of been more useful.
Some people notice those nuances and others don’t. Some people care about that stuff, others don’t. That’s just the way of it.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Yep. And everyone has their own quirks on what is of importance. Or the order of importance.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

foal30 wrote:Yep. And everyone has their own quirks on what is of importance. Or the order of importance.
Indeed. I’m mixing a film about Wayne Gardener the GP motorbike racer at the moment and the dude doing to sound effects keeps putting in 2017 motorbikes for late 80s races. Seems to think they’re interchangeable when they sound totally different. Motorsport fans are not likely to be that forgiving...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

bender wrote:
foal30 wrote:Yep. And everyone has their own quirks on what is of importance. Or the order of importance.
Indeed. I’m mixing a film about Wayne Gardener the GP motorbike racer at the moment and the dude doing to sound effects keeps putting in 2017 motorbikes for late 80s races. Seems to think they’re interchangeable when they sound totally different. Motorsport fans are not likely to be that forgiving...
How does that work anyway? e.g. doesn't he end up with the sound of bikes engine braking for a corner when the picture is of them on the straight?

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

JHorner wrote:
bender wrote:
How does that work anyway? e.g. doesn't he end up with the sound of bikes engine braking for a corner when the picture is of them on the straight?
The pictures are cut like a highlights package so we’re just taking snippets of race recordings and fitting them to each individual shot. Eg bike goes past camera at high speed, we go and find the sound of a high speed Doppler from one of the clean race recordings from the era and put that in place. It’s pretty tough though actually- we’re walking a very fine line between what is accurate and what you’d expect to hear from the shot.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Please mix in one scene where it's just you going "brmmm brmmmm brmmmmmm" into a microphone.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1395 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Being a lifelong motorcyclist I can attest to the fact it’s really annoying when motorcycles are dubbed with the wrong engine sounds.

I watched a film recently (can’t remember the name) and the BMW boxer twins were racing around the streets with inline 4 sounds dubbed over the top and it ruined the film completely to me because it sounds so stupid it breaks the whole illusion.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...