Dr Parts necks

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 603 times

Dr Parts necks

Post by Starfire »

The seller of the nice Warmoth strat body I bought also has a Dr Parts neck he wants to sell. I'm not sure yet whether it has a rosewood or maple fretboard, I much prefer a maple board on a Fender style guitar, so I may not even want it, but can anyone comment on these Dr Parts necks? Are they any good? Comparative to more well known brands like Mighty Mite and Allparts? He only wants about $80 for it, which is very cheap indeed, but for all i know it's crap. So how are they generally? Good quality?

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Dr Parts necks

Post by Basket Case »

I think I remember reading on here somewhere that they are pretty poor quality. If your budget can stretch, order a Warmoth neck. They're really good quality and you can order the exact specs you want, but most importantly you'll know it's going to fit.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

I shall steer clear then. It's not really what I want anyway.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Well I can speak with pretty good authority on DR parts neck because I have 3 of them on various guitars and my radian also has an all parts neck.....firstly a right handed maple/maple retails for $100 so $80 for second hand is a bit much I reckon so if you can haggle him down a bit.......

as far as quality goes it is a bit hit an miss. Two of mine are really really nice and the other is a bit average......The fret wire is pretty "soft" so will probably wear quicker than a more expensive neck, but it not like that will be overnight
It not really a case of "stay clear" of the DR ones because they can be really nice and for the price the risk is worth it because it not a lot of $$

stay away from warmoth mainly because they are way over priced....all parts are a better bang for buck option...they go for over $250

hope this helps
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

willow13 wrote: stay away from warmoth mainly because they are way over priced....all parts are a better bang for buck option...they go for over $250
If you're after something custom made from a rare endangered Amazonian tree then yes, but otherwise I beg to differ :)

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

I would tend to agree that the Warmoth necks are a bit expensive. $157US for a regular old maple neck that's unfinished. And, if I'm not wrong, you still have to choose the nut material etc, which they then sting you for. And shipping. I shall look elsewhere.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I'd tend to go MM as the one's I've had have been good. They're also finished and dressed so makes life easier. The allparts stuff is better quality, and you pay accordingly.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Basket Case wrote:
willow13 wrote: stay away from warmoth mainly because they are way over priced....all parts are a better bang for buck option...they go for over $250
If you're after something custom made from a rare endangered Amazonian tree then yes, but otherwise I beg to differ :)
actually you are right, once worked out with current exchange rates and shipping they do work out about the same......which makes the DR parts one even more appealing :D and before anyone says..."sweetshop" people being paid $1 a year etc etc....I don't care :wink:

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

willow13 wrote:
Basket Case wrote:
actually you are right, once worked out with current exchange rates and shipping they do work out about the same......which makes the DR parts one even more appealing :D and before anyone says..."sweetshop" people being paid $1 a year etc etc....I don't care :wink:
They'd probably be happier working in a "sweetshop" 'tho?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 741 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Vorbis wrote:I'd tend to go MM as the one's I've had have been good. They're also finished and dressed so makes life easier. The allparts stuff is better quality, and you pay accordingly.
Yeah, I was so pleased with the mightymite neck I got that I bought a while back. All you really have to do is get rid of that plastic nut - but even the plastic one wouldn't mean the end of the world.

The way *I* think of it:

DR parts - If you just want to slap something together/take a bit of a risk as far as quality goes. Squier/SX beginner neck.
MightyMite - If you're on a budget but want something good. Less work involved, still a decent neck. Mexican Fenderish neck.
Allparts - If you want something quite good if not very good. More work involved, but a better neck in the end. I'd compare them to USA Fender necks.
Warmoth - Similar to Allparts/Even better if you want to pay for it. USA Fender necks/Plus more if you dish out the $$$.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Zaulkin wrote:
Vorbis wrote:I'd tend to go MM as the one's I've had have been good. They're also finished and dressed so makes life easier. The allparts stuff is better quality, and you pay accordingly.
Yeah, I was so pleased with the mightymite neck I got that I bought a while back. All you really have to do is get rid of that plastic nut - but even the plastic one wouldn't mean the end of the world.

The way *I* think of it:

DR parts - If you just want to slap something together/take a bit of a risk as far as quality goes. Squier/SX beginner neck.
MightyMite - If you're on a budget but want something good. Less work involved, still a decent neck. Mexican Fenderish neck.
Allparts - If you want something quite good if not very good. More work involved, but a better neck in the end. I'd compare them to USA Fender necks.
Warmoth - Similar to Allparts/Even better if you want to pay for it. USA Fender necks/Plus more if you dish out the $$$.
I concurrrr.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

Indeed, I'll probably go with a Mighty Mite one. Just wondered if the Dr Parts ones were any good, because I could then kill two birds with one stone by buying the one from the guy I bought the body from.

The Mighty Mite ones suit me best I think. Not too expensive, comes finished, and overall nice quality.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Ironic, I replaced a bad genuine Fender neck with a Dr Parts one, it's sweet.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus