Fake identification

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Re: Fake identification

Post by jeremyb »

That date mark just shows it had the factory recall done for faulty truss rod fluid replacement.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 797 times
Been liked: 1287 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 am That date mark just shows it had the factory recall done for faulty truss rod fluid replacement.
Or maybe just celebrating the NZ commonwealth games?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Do you have more photos of the body? Is it a swimming pool route with the weird bump near the neck pickup area?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Have a look at this thread, there's photos of other guitars that look the same as yours. G serial on the neck, and the bodies have the same route and tooling marks.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/squi ... n-usa.430/

Doesn't look like there's a consensus of what they actually are, definitely a legit Fender but some confusion about where the bodies were made ( e.g. US body with MIJ neck?).

chrisz
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by chrisz »

Molly wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 am
chrisz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 pm Hi all,
I have a Fender Japan strat and I have small doubts about how original it is. Has a G serial on the neck, I think plays and sounds like a .. 1987 Fender Japan but on the neck connection has too much writing and a stamp that appears like Jan 22 1990 even if the serial number indicates a 1987-88.
Any Fender experts could say an opinion?
Looks fine to me. A forgery wouldn't have any such detail in the neck pocket. That'd be reserved for pre-CBS malarkey. Pickups look like a set I had once. I researched them and the Strat forum's consensus was that they were originally from a Japanese Strat.
Yup, thanks, I found those pickups as original Fender Japan as well.

chrisz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrisz »

GrantB wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:07 am It’s original - those pickups look like the ceramic things the Japanese made fenders used for a while . I don’t like them personally and a nice set in there would make a lot of difference I would think.
Yup, thanks, I agree. These pickups are not bad at all, I just cannot play what they want.

chrisz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrisz »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:44 am That date mark just shows it had the factory recall done for faulty truss rod fluid replacement.
wow.. this could be an almost insider information..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7643 times
Been liked: 4148 times

Post by jeremyb »

chrisz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 pm
wow.. this could be an almost insider information..
You should definitely buy some stock in fender right now!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chrisz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrisz »

Lyle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 am Do you have more photos of the body? Is it a swimming pool route with the weird bump near the neck pickup area?
Probably yes, one of the photos is showing this. Its a wide route like swimming pool with bump near the neck to secure the pickguard a bit better.

chrisz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by chrisz »

Lyle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 am Have a look at this thread, there's photos of other guitars that look the same as yours. G serial on the neck, and the bodies have the same route and tooling marks.

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/squi ... n-usa.430/

Doesn't look like there's a consensus of what they actually are, definitely a legit Fender but some confusion about where the bodies were made ( e.g. US body with MIJ neck?).
Yup, thanks, this was a great forum, even a bit confusing tells me that I have to keep what the guitar says. A Japanese neck (probably 1987-88) with a body (that several Fenders - Squiers used) from 1990 put together by Fender Japan (the guitar came to me from Japan).
Fender was/is a profit business anyway and they did what they had to do. They where not hand made put/much together piece by piece..
It makes difference from all the stat copies I've tried anyway and really sounds like a .. 1987-1990 Japanese strat and this is what counts..

diomaniac
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by diomaniac »

I have a Fender Japan strat and I have small doubts about how original it is. Has a G serial on the neck, I think plays and sounds like a .. 1987 Fender Japan but on the neck connection has too much writing and a stamp that appears like Jan 22 1990 even if the serial number indicates a 1987-88.
I had a 1989 H-serial and the stamp on the neck said June 1990.. I asked and apparently it's very normal for fender Japan. it was 57 reissue and hated it so much had to get rid of it. Sold pretty fast though very popular guitars.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 797 times
Been liked: 1287 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

When i get that feeling i need dredge-ual healing
… dredge-ual heaaaaling

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

diomaniac wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:21 am
I had a 1989 H-serial and the stamp on the neck said June 1990.. I asked and apparently it's very normal for fender Japan. it was 57 reissue and hated it so much had to get rid of it. Sold pretty fast though very popular guitars.
Just in case you had not figured it out yet, that post you replied to above is from 3 years ago.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1002 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:56 pm
diomaniac wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:21 am
Just in case you had not figured it out yet, that post you replied to above is from 3 years ago.
We have no time limit on our conversations.....
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Is there anyone on this forum, aside from BG, that actually needs fake ID?