Pedal power supply recommendations?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Pedal power supply recommendations?

Post by johnstratiwant »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:11 am I have a Strymon Ojai that I use as a desktop power supply and it is great so the external power supply isn't an issue with that. But I could see using a power supply with a separate unit on a pedalboard would be an issue.
I didnt know strymon could be used as desktop power supply? Never thought of that before

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

johnstratiwant wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:09 pm
murky wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 am Cioks DC7 - but it needs to be the “future power generation”. Pretty much as good as it gets - it’s got 4 selectable voltages on each output, and you can sit pedals directly on top of it and not get emf interference (important if you’re mounting under the board, or top mount on a cramped board). It’s also grunty AF - it’ll run an HX Stomp off one output. A lot of other supplies are probably going to be fine, but I’m firmly in the “buy once, cry once” camp.
Thanks for the info, i am considering cioks but they are on the pricey end compared to others
“buy once, cry once”

I firmly support this principle. It took me years to stump up the considerable cost of a decent power supply. The moment I did, all my pedalboard issues disappeared and never returned.
Vote here for Hotstone, Onespot and Cioks.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

johnstratiwant wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:11 am I have a Strymon Ojai that I use as a desktop power supply and it is great so the external power supply isn't an issue with that. But I could see using a power supply with a separate unit on a pedalboard would be an issue.
I didnt know strymon could be used as desktop power supply? Never thought of that before
By desktop, I mean it simply sits on my desk so I can test and power pedals.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

its funny how much hate onespot gets,so much so that im surprised they havent done some people for libel.
People actually saying onespots damage pedals

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

yup. I use them all the time, often there are no issues at all. Some pedals don't like them, often that's down to poor pedal design rather than anything else. I lean towards buy once, cry once, but currently am using a cheap Chinese supply. It's fully isolated, works great, cost about $70

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I still use a Truetone CS7 but I did have some issues with it recently. It stopped fully powering my HX Stomp out of one of 500mA outputs, sometimes it worked other times it didn’t. After googling it I did find some others having similar issues. I took it to my local tech to see if we could get to the bottom of it. It ended up being a electrolytic cap (maybe the filtering cap?) on each 500mA output had drifted way beyond spec. The tech said they were about as cheap as you can buy caps and he put it down to that. As a precaution even though they were still working we pulled out a bunch of other caps in the 100mA outputs and measuring them was quite an eye opener, from
Memory we had one that was supposed to be 100uf and it was measuring 20uf and all had drifted significantly.
Weather this was caused by something being plugged in that wasn’t supposed to or they just used the cheapest caps they could and they will all drift eventually. (The latter being my techs opinion)
We replaced them and it’s working great again but would make me nervious to recommend them.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 294 times

Post by murky »

Kris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:07 pm its funny how much hate onespot gets,so much so that im surprised they havent done some people for libel.
We’re talking about the one spot wall wart switchmode adaptor here right? Not the one spot multi output supplies?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

murky wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:17 am
Kris wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:07 pm its funny how much hate onespot gets,so much so that im surprised they havent done some people for libel.
We’re talking about the one spot wall wart switchmode adaptor here right? Not the one spot multi output supplies?
Yes,the switchmode.As rickenbackerkid pointed out its more to do with poor protection in pedals than the power unit though.Doesnt stop people lumping the name into everything they do. The worst person for this is quite famous for making any excuse that doesnt admit his fault,and then his simps parrot the same lines.
Ive never had any issues personally, currently using an eventide power mini just for flexibility.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Slowy wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:15 am
johnstratiwant wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:09 pm
murky wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 am Cioks DC7 - but it needs to be the “future power generation”. Pretty much as good as it gets - it’s got 4 selectable voltages on each output, and you can sit pedals directly on top of it and not get emf interference (important if you’re mounting under the board, or top mount on a cramped board). It’s also grunty AF - it’ll run an HX Stomp off one output. A lot of other supplies are probably going to be fine, but I’m firmly in the “buy once, cry once” camp.
Thanks for the info, i am considering cioks but they are on the pricey end compared to others
“buy once, cry once”

I firmly support this principle. It took me years to stump up the considerable cost of a decent power supply. The moment I did, all my pedalboard issues disappeared and never returned.
Vote here for Hotstone, Onespot and Cioks.
Thanks for the info, I agree and now changed into investing bit more on power supply. It is bit of a price but I think it will reduce the hassle to look for another power supply in the future if I buy a decent one. I haven't heard of hotstone, I will have a look into that

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:40 am I still use a Truetone CS7 but I did have some issues with it recently. It stopped fully powering my HX Stomp out of one of 500mA outputs, sometimes it worked other times it didn’t. After googling it I did find some others having similar issues. I took it to my local tech to see if we could get to the bottom of it. It ended up being a electrolytic cap (maybe the filtering cap?) on each 500mA output had drifted way beyond spec. The tech said they were about as cheap as you can buy caps and he put it down to that. As a precaution even though they were still working we pulled out a bunch of other caps in the 100mA outputs and measuring them was quite an eye opener, from
Memory we had one that was supposed to be 100uf and it was measuring 20uf and all had drifted significantly.
Weather this was caused by something being plugged in that wasn’t supposed to or they just used the cheapest caps they could and they will all drift eventually. (The latter being my techs opinion)
We replaced them and it’s working great again but would make me nervious to recommend them.
Thanks for the info, it seemed the True Tone power supplies were best value for the price based on YouTube videos. Maybe some of them have been sponsored. That kinda puts me off True Tone, maybe Cioks may be a better option?

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

I am down into choosing either one of these:
-Cioks
-Truetone CS6
-Strymon

which one do people recommend?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:45 pm I have chosen the Cioks
Fixed.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I've had a Cioks dc10 for about 10 years, or maybe longer. Faultless.

dethken
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by dethken »

John, just get the Cioks DC7 and call it a day :)

Excellent build quality, 7 outlets, 9,12,15,18v option on each outlet, expandable to 4 or 8 extra outlets, 5V USB outlet, loads of cables included, slim.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:40 am I still use a Truetone CS7 but I did have some issues with it recently. It stopped fully powering my HX Stomp out of one of 500mA outputs, sometimes it worked other times it didn’t. After googling it I did find some others having similar issues. I took it to my local tech to see if we could get to the bottom of it. It ended up being a electrolytic cap (maybe the filtering cap?) on each 500mA output had drifted way beyond spec. The tech said they were about as cheap as you can buy caps and he put it down to that. As a precaution even though they were still working we pulled out a bunch of other caps in the 100mA outputs and measuring them was quite an eye opener, from
This usually is what happens when the accountants design something.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com