Deep-Seated Psychological Illness

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Deep-Seated Psychological Illness

Post by robthemac »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 am
robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:48 pm
Molly wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:19 pm

It's a royal piss-take, eh? Not sure how much of it is selling though.
Partcasters get more tempting every day.
I am tossing up an MJT but based off rough calculations it would cost the same or more than a second hand American standard.
There are a few guys around the forum who'll build bodies for cheaper than you can import them.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

null_pointer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am Partscasters are an exercise in self-fulfilment because you never get their value back on resale. I think of the 6 I’ve put together I broke even once.
Yep - I've done mine in the past because Fender didn't have an equivalent. The Strat and the Tele I used premium parts and yeah, never going to get all the money back...but the same is said for any new guitar.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

The way I see it with a partscaster is that you build something you actually want which isn’t offered by the manufacturer for the same price - as you say Grant. I just wonder if can be bothered going the process vs the instant functionality of getting a (maybe somewhat compromised) standard off the shelf.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:29 am
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 am
robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:48 pm

Partcasters get more tempting every day.
I am tossing up an MJT but based off rough calculations it would cost the same or more than a second hand American standard.
There are a few guys around the forum who'll build bodies for cheaper than you can import them.
Who?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Lostinverness, there was some other guy posting a couple of weeks back, and one other who I can't remember at the stage. I'm sure if you started a topic they'd let you know.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Chaoz I think is the other guy's name.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Thanks fellas.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

In my admittedly limited opinion, what I have found in strats and teles is that even 2 supposedly identical guitars can play very different. For example I had a MIM tele from the late 90's that played beautifully, and I once played a MIM strat here in Nelson (lake Placid blue )that also played really nicely yet my mates MIM black one which was identical on paper played like a dog. So I ended up being that guy who walked into the Rockshop in Welly and played every strat there til I found the one I liked bestest. OK it cost me retail, but at least I am happy with it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sometimes you get lucky, I took my MIM Strat to our local tech and he set it up then spent a couple of hours playing it, figured I got a good one ;-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

It figures that a good percentage of them have to be pretty good. Of all the ones I played there were a couple I would have been quite happy with. (and one I probably should have bought rather than the one I did...) None were real dogs though. Maybe my mates one needed a decent set up: always a variable !

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 pm It figures that a good percentage of them have to be pretty good. Of all the ones I played there were a couple I would have been quite happy with. (and one I probably should have bought rather than the one I did...) None were real dogs though. Maybe my mates one needed a decent set up: always a variable !
The variables can be hard to define. A fine looking old Tokai Strat is the only guitar I have bought that I really hated. I didn't like the sound, the feel or anything at all except its light weight and warm old looks.

I sold it to a mate who used it as his main guitar for 10 years. In his hands it sounded great and he liked it a lot but it was still a piece of shit when I picked it up. He finally retired it after buying one of Kiwiaxe's Suhrs.

A pretty extreme example but guitars and women......... there are many of both but only a few can make you happy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

TBH none of my mates guitars has ever spun my wheels (apart from his strat he had an Epi SG that was horrid ) and he also has a bunch of crafter acoustics which I consider to be firewood... The only guitar I ever bought that I truly hated was a Yamaha FG 400 (? ), that I bought on TM and hated the sound, feel and playability of it. Sold it soon thereafter and learnt a lesson about trusting online reviews and buying sight unseen. Though have also had some good buys like that as well, but the yammy wasnt one of them.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:12 pm TBH none of my mates guitars has ever spun my wheels (apart from his strat he had an Epi SG that was horrid ) and he also has a bunch of crafter acoustics which I consider to be firewood... The only guitar I ever bought that I truly hated was a Yamaha FG 400 (? ), that I bought on TM and hated the sound, feel and playability of it. Sold it soon thereafter and learnt a lesson about trusting online reviews and buying sight unseen. Though have also had some good buys like that as well, but the yammy wasnt one of them.
Funny that. Aforementioned mate has 3 acoustics, a Martin OM Mayer, a Martin D41 and a Yamaha FG400. He loves the Yamaha while my opinion is closer to yours. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.