What makes the ULTIMATE acoustic guitar?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Re: What makes the ULTIMATE acoustic guitar?

Post by GrantB »

Yep, what Ben said. My Guild CO-2 (which you've played, I think?) is in that range...superb for recording and still loud enough to jam with.

Its solid mahogany sides and back give it some depth.

Gloss finish! Will age nicely.

Understated bling.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 762 times
Been liked: 532 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Jumbo shape
Jumbo frets
Bright and clear tone. The type of wood that you need varies... I've played mahogany guitars that sound dull as ever, and some other ones that were very bright sounding.

Headless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Headless »

Thanks there have been some really useful replies overnight. Those Taylor Youtube clips were interesting. I guess I am leaning towards a Grand Auditorium cutaway as this is probably best suited to my needs. I already have a cheapish dreadnought which is fine for heavy strumming and knocking around, so the more balanced sound of a GA is probably the way to go.

Of course it will ultimately come down to what I fall in love with. I will probably see if I can go to the factory some time after hours, knock back a few pivo and try out every instrument I can. I'm in no particular rush as I have plenty going on right now (and I'm not even in the country at the mo). When I move back to NZ I would love to bring a harem back with me - 6 string, 12 string, acoustic bass & travel guitar! But time will tell.

Headless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Headless »

FunkUncle wrote:Yep, what Ben said. My Guild CO-2 (which you've played, I think?) is in that range...superb for recording and still loud enough to jam with.

Its solid mahogany sides and back give it some depth.

Gloss finish! Will age nicely.

Understated bling.
Not sure if I recall a Guild? I remember an acoustic from a couple of years ago that was one of your mended jobbies I think, that sounded very nice. I remember it as a Taylor though, but that was fairly late in the evening after a few beers so I could be wrong (not to mention the 10 new (usually very old) guitars you pull out every time we catch up!)

So you reckon a gloss finish will age better? I don't really pay attention to acoustics like I do old electrics - I should probably pop down to Denmark Street some time and have a closer look at what I do & don't like.

How do intricate inlays and the likes age? Do they have a habit of falling out or weakening the wood or anything? I guess it's probably better to go for simple & functional over the fancy stuff.

Headless
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Headless »

bbrunskill wrote: I cannot stand inlays, gloss finishes, fancy rosettes on any other non-tone related bullshit on an acoustic guitar are a waste of money. An acoustic guitar has one purpose to me and that is to sound good. Therefore features that don’t add tonal goodness are a waste. I’m all about thin, thin finishes.
That's kind of how I used to think but after seeing the instruments being made and the incredible workmanship involved, I have a whole new appreciation of the fancy bullshit. At normal retail prices I wouldn't pay extra for non essential stuff, but this case is different.
bbrunskill wrote: So if I was buying a Furch, I’d spec Jumbo, Cedar with mahogany back/sides/neck, ebony fretboard, no inlays, simple rosette, open pore finish.

And if I was specing that, I’d just buy a Lowden.
Have you ever played a Furch? You could well just change your mind... And you'd probably be left with 1 or 2 thousand bucks in your pocket to spend on beer :wink:

ash wrote: What kind of work were you doing for Furch?
Just some translation/proof reading kind of stuff. I've done it for various Czech companies (usually for their websites) but the guitar stuff is the best. They send me rough English translations and I edit or rewrite in correct English. My wife is Czech and my bro-in-law is a very good guitar player and knows lots of people in the Czech music scene. I got invited one time to dinner and a party with some of the Furch guys and have just kept in touch since. Aleš Vychodil is one of them and he's a well known Czech luthier in his own right, making custom instruments for many pros across Europe. He has made basses for Paul Turner (Jamiroquai) and Kieth Duffy (Corrs) amongst others. My bro-in-law was involved in both those projects travelling to Ireland & the UK and hanging out with the guys, testing out all their gear & configuring their new instruments - really interesting stuff. I have one of Aleš's basses too and it's lurvely, but I must be about the most amateur player to own one of them! Speaking of which, I might give my bass its own thread - I think it deserves it.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1395 times
Been liked: 2137 times

Post by GrantB »

Yeah, go to Denmark St and have a nosey....I think Gloss looks better, more pro, and in terms of aging it will look more authentic than matte finish. But I'm conservative when it comes to guitar aesthetics.

Sounds like we need to catch up via email...I hear your back is still not good. I'll be in touch.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1032 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Post by Slowy »

bbrunskill wrote: I cannot stand inlays, gloss finishes, fancy rosettes on any other non-tone related bullshit on an acoustic guitar are a waste of money.
Absolutely agree they're dead money. So why do I like the look of the Millenium 25 model so much? :think:

Ben, a Cedar topped Jumbo sounds like an amazing contradiction to me; not saying it's wrong or anything.

Cedar: compresses easily, responds well to a delicate touch.
Jumbo body: ideal for loud strumming and heavy hitters.

And every Lowden I have ever played has been a little piece of Gaelic fairydust. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

Headless wrote: Of course it will ultimately come down to what I fall in love with. I will probably see if I can go to the factory some time after hours, knock back a few pivo and try out every instrument I can. I'm in no particular rush as I have plenty going on right now (and I'm not even in the country at the mo). When I move back to NZ I would love to bring a harem back with me - 6 string, 12 string, acoustic bass & travel guitar! But time will tell.
Excellent plan!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

slowfingers wrote:And every Lowden I have ever played has been a little piece of Gaelic fairydust. :D
Great video from the Lowden site. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhsPYRUqphk[/youtube]
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Great thread.

While I agree that guitars principal duty is to sound good, I don't agree that paying for all the trimmings is dead money, in the same way that I don't think that buying an artwork is dead money. But have your eyes open, and ensure your wallet is ready. Ie paying for an individual piece of artistry that cost $4000 is better than a $1000 mass produced guitar for $1500 because it ha inlays.

To me, if you're supporting and encouraging craftsmanship then it's win win. Keeping an artist in business, and ending up with a nice instrument to keep your art in business, so to speak.

Oh and there's no such thing as a 'pro' finish; pros use whatever they like, what's sounds good, and possibly what someone else gives them. Just like amateurs. :)
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

Oh. And I've had a gloss top spruce Taylor 314CE with satin sides for 13 years and it's still like new. Take care of an instrument and you've got no worries about it lasting. Case in point being recent auction thread with 100 year old guitars looking amazing.
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

KentNZ wrote:I don't agree that paying for all the trimmings is dead money, in the same way that I don't think that buying an artwork is dead money.
I think it's more like saying the artwork is fine but that the frame is dead money. The frame, of course, is there to highlight the painting but is usually not part of the painting itself.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

KentNZ wrote:Great thread.

While I agree that guitars principal duty is to sound good, I don't agree that paying for all the trimmings is dead money, in the same way that I don't think that buying an artwork is dead money. But have your eyes open, and ensure your wallet is ready. Ie paying for an individual piece of artistry that cost $4000 is better than a $1000 mass produced guitar for $1500 because it ha inlays.
I agree with this completely, but I'll always go for a basic looking acoustic over a fancy pants one, because I reckon they look way better. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the adornments usually associated with high-end acoustics often look tacky.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

slowfingers wrote:
Ben, a Cedar topped Jumbo sounds like an amazing contradiction to me; not saying it's wrong or anything.

Cedar: compresses easily, responds well to a delicate touch.
Jumbo body: ideal for loud strumming and heavy hitters.

And every Lowden I have ever played has been a little piece of Gaelic fairydust. :D
It’s more like Cedar: Compresses easily, responds to a light touch/
Jumbo body: provides enough resonance, air and size that the cedar top sounds massive, yet delicate.

And yes Lowdens are amazing. I’m so stoked to have one of my very own :mental:

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

benderissimo wrote:
KentNZ wrote:Great thread.

I agree with this completely, but I'll always go for a basic looking acoustic over a fancy pants one, because I reckon they look way better. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that the adornments usually associated with high-end acoustics often look tacky.
Agreed. :)