Numpty issues... (interface setup with Reaper)

...and stuff

Moderator: Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Numpty issues... (interface setup with Reaper)

Post by Capt. Black »

NZRS-Dave wrote:I wonder if you could try ASIO4ALL .... http://www.asio4all.com/ ... I haven't needed to use it but apparently it's quite good for fixing hardware vs driver issues.
I've seen that solution too. Well worth a try.

Also note in some support forum stuff, increasing the buffer size can reduce latency. I've encountered that advice on a Logic support forum too. The tech involved gave a very good explanation of why that works best, despite it seeming counterintuitive to most, but I can't remember what the details were. Just give it a go and see if it helps.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

You may want to look at what else is running in the background and what gets loaded at startup. Try turning off your network adaptor and disabling your anti virus for example for starters. Not a long term solution, but may help pin point where the problem lies. If you get good sound results in media player/iTunes etc then you can probably assume your hardware and driver is ok with Windows at least, playing nicely with Reaper may be the next issue though. An email to Reaper about this may help, but they will ask a million questions about your setup most likely. You are welcome to bring your PC round if you get to that point. Sorry for the flood of suggestions and thoughts.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Many thanks Capt., Dave and bobiron, plenty of avenues to explore tonight.

(no worries on the info flood bobiron, all good and all helpful)

I'll get there...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

New drivers off Phonci website, signal is much better. Still some latency but I think that's a buffer/setting issue. Tried my EMG'd guitar and that helped too.

Of interest, my laptop has the Ricoh FW chipset, widely regarded as the worst available for recording. Awesome, FW was one of the reasons for buying the bloody thing... but I can get a TI FW chipset Expresscard for not much money, so all is not lost.

I'm getting there and learning at the same time.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

TI chip express card. DO IT! :)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Capt. Black wrote:TI chip express card. DO IT! :)

This!

From what I have read, this will make my life immeasurably more easy. It will be done!

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Good news DM. The right Expresscard should do the job. FW can be a real bitch with hardware it does not like. The chipset needs to be TI 1394, but I am sure you know that by now.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

bobiron wrote:Good news DM. The right Expresscard should do the job. FW can be a real bitch with hardware it does not like. The chipset needs to be TI 1394, but I am sure you know that by now.
Yeah did some expresscard research yesterday. It's actually quite difficult to get that exact chipset, but found one on ebay (from Hong Kong). They're only $30-40 though, so if the one I've ordered is a dodgy knock-off, I can try again.

The thing is it is working at the moment, so I can use it as is and there are tweaks to help with latency and noise, in fact I seem to be one of the 10% that can get the interface to work at all with my chipset, it has a 90% not working at all rate...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

It lives! This is without the express card and some very quick and very dodgy mastering (having issues with the rendering changing the sound quite significantly and the compressor plugin I'm using is CRAP, but will keep working on it). Just testing the fathead mic Ben has lent me really, plenty of playing around to do to improve the sound and I was recording my little H&K solid state so as not to risk damaging the mic, but it's at least working and the mic obviously has a lot of potential.

Oh and forgot to add, to get it working as well as it is, I found a special driver for the Ricoh FW chipset that helped resolve a lot of the issues. It's not a Ricoh one, but one written for all the poor Dell owners with the same problems as me. Will be interested to see what difference the TI chipset will make.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

that makes me want to go into crabcore mode :D

which is probably completely unappropriate :D but I lost touch with metal about 1989...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

BG wrote:that makes me want to go into crabcore mode :D

which is probably completely unappropriate :D but I lost touch with metal about 1989...
ha ha yeah total crabcore... just a bunch of crap riffs I made up this morning. Saving the good ones for when I get better at mixing and mastering.