Numpty issues... (interface setup with Reaper)

...and stuff

Moderator: Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I think you've only paid for the hardware. Actually working costs another $199.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Numpty issues... (interface setup with Reaper)

Post by Danger Mouse »

BG wrote:Have you blamed the last person to leave your company?
Technically that is me. Tried blaming the GF (seems to work the other way around) but as I enjoy having testicals, I didn't go very far with that one.
Capt. Black wrote:I think you've only paid for the hardware. Actually working costs another $199.
Ah... nail, head, etc.

A quick scan off the internets, seems like this is a common issue. Got a couple of workarounds to try tonight.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

It makes noise! Not very much and with masses of latency... but one step closer.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

DM - did you got to the Phonic site and check for a driver update?

Failing that ... I can grab one from work and see if it works for me as I have Reaper. Like sooty, I love it so much I registered it as well.

It sounds like a hardware problem, or a gain problem. Because it sounds like you have everything set up correctly.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

NZRS-Dave wrote:DM - did you got to the Phonic site and check for a driver update?

Failing that ... I can grab one from work and see if it works for me as I have Reaper. Like sooty, I love it so much I registered it as well.

It sounds like a hardware problem, or a gain problem. Because it sounds like you have everything set up correctly.
Ah no, good point, will try that tonight. It did randomly stop working last night as well, but a quick turn off/turn on got it back. At this point, with all my random messing around with various settings, it is possible that I am missing something with the setup, but at least it is making noise.

I have about an hour's worth of attention span for this sort of thing, so am working away at it bit by bit.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

This question may have already been asked, Does the interface work outside of Reaper?
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

bobiron wrote:This question may have already been asked, Does the interface work outside of Reaper?
Not got as far as that, next step was to try it with another DAW. It's supposed to have Cubase LE on the driver disk, but it's not on mine. Was going to try Audacity if I got nowhere last night.

Bit more research today and apparently the low signal and latency is a common issue plugging a guitar direct into the analogue input. I have Benderismo's Fathead at home though, will plug that in tonight and see if it makes a difference (should do).

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

You need to get this workings on your system before you get a DAW involved. If it does not work with Windows media player or iTunes then you have basic driver issue on the PC. Are you Mac or PC and what is the interface model please? Is this FireWire or USB? I use Reaper on Mac.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Fathead will need heaps more gain so should be worse.

A common problem with FireWire on windows is the chipset used. In typical windows fashion, nobody conforms to a standard, so peripheral manufacturers will only support certain FireWire chipsets. Most often, Texas Instruments. It can be hit and miss with any other FireWire card.

Its a good place to start if chasing your tail gets too boring.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Capt. Black wrote:Fathead will need heaps more gain so should be worse.

A common problem with FireWire on windows is the chipset used. In typical windows fashion, nobody conforms to a standard, so peripheral manufacturers will only support certain FireWire chipsets. Most often, Texas Instruments. It can be hit and miss with any other FireWire card.

Its a good place to start if chasing your tail gets too boring.
Yes have read about the TI chipset issues as well. All getting a little too close to ending up under the bed at the moment, but as I get sound now I have a little fight left in me.

bobiron, it's a Phonci Firefly 302 into a PC. It works, I get sound into the DAW and can record, it's just very low level and with lots of latency at the moment. I'll try with WMP/iTunes as well.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Phonci <> Funky. ;)

I've had a phonic helixboard mixer for ages now. should be the same or similar FireWire section as your firefly. Works fine with any Mac I have. No setup involved. No latency issues.
If you can get to a Mac of some sort (with FW) to test the firefly you should be able to see it performing as expected. Then you'll know whether the issues are with the unit itself or the pc/few chipset.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

I wonder if you could try ASIO4ALL .... http://www.asio4all.com/ ... I haven't needed to use it but apparently it's quite good for fixing hardware vs driver issues.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

Capt. Black wrote:Phonci <> Funky. ;)

I've had a phonic helixboard mixer for ages now. should be the same or similar FireWire section as your firefly. Works fine with any Mac I have. No setup involved. No latency issues.
If you can get to a Mac of some sort (with FW) to test the firefly you should be able to see it performing as expected. Then you'll know whether the issues are with the unit itself or the pc/few chipset.
DM you are welcome to bring it round to mine and try it off my Mac book pro with Reaper, should be plug and play as the Captain says. I live in Torbay if that helps.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by bobiron »

How are you powering the interface, are you using a separate power supply? If not try it out, the fw connection may not be supplying enough power.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

bobiron wrote:How are you powering the interface, are you using a separate power supply? If not try it out, the fw connection may not be supplying enough power.
4 pin FW only on the PC, so have been powering off the mains.

Thanks for the offer of trying out it out on the mac. If I get nowhere by the end of the weekend I'll take you up on it.