Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Musical Dice

Post by jeremyb »

Saw a great suggestion in a video on using dice to select which chords in the scale you should try throw together for creating a melody, kind of spark some inspiration kind of thing, select a key and throw 4 dice...

I could have nicked some dice from the kids board games, but why do that when you have a 3d printer!! When searching on thingiverse for models to print out I found a dude had created these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1040397 which are to help you randomly choose a key or chord and its variants. I printed a set of those along with some normal 6 sided dice (does anyone ever play the 7th chord in a key?!?!?)... and voila! Instant inspiration :thumbup:
Attachments
IMG_20200615_140238.jpg
IMG_20200615_140238.jpg (5.95 MiB) Viewed 13906 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Musical Dice

Post by Capt. Black »

Send me a set for free and I’ll post about them on my Instagram. :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Capt. Black wrote:Send me a set for free and I’ll post about them on my Instagram. :)
I feel like this is some kind of a trap :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:11 pm Saw a great suggestion in a video on using dice to select which chords in the scale you should try throw together for creating a melody, kind of spark some inspiration kind of thing, select a key and throw 4 dice...

I could have nicked some dice from the kids board games, but why do that when you have a 3d printer!! When searching on thingiverse for models to print out I found a dude had created these: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1040397 which are to help you randomly choose a key or chord and its variants. I printed a set of those along with some normal 6 sided dice (does anyone ever play the 7th chord in a key?!?!?)... and voila! Instant inspiration :thumbup:
You'll need that Vii chord should you go Diatonic Phrygian Tetrachord on us👍
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

You COULD just put the chords on bits of paper and pull them out of a box, Just sayin'...

Interesting idea for lyrics though.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

Wow cool idea. I’m gonna write a script to do just this