Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

how do you mean 'in line' Everything follows the center line and is measured from it :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok a few more pix. Control cavity is routed, all done freehand so not a pretty sight ;) hidden under plastic and shielding copper it should look fine :D

Installed the nut and finished off the neck pretty much, shaped the heel to fit nicely up against the easy access part on the body.

Strung for the first time, primarily to install the nut but also to check the height of the fretboard is fine.
Attachments
headstock.jpg
headstock.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
firststring.jpg
firststring.jpg (16.34 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
body3.jpg
body3.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Those right handed machine heads will wear out quickly. But you haven't much room to put lefty ones on there. Oops. Other than that... looks good.

What pickups are going in it?
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

ash wrote:Those right handed machine heads will wear out quickly. But you haven't much room to put lefty ones on there. Oops. Other than that... looks good.

What pickups are going in it?
ah, never really thought about that, at the price of the Wilkinson EZ Lok's though, I'll just change them when needed :D

Pups will be my favourite combo of Tallboy neck and Muy Grande bridge. Both split, haven't got a switch yet but may go the 3 position with tone pot pull as I have a couple of spares.

I'm pretty sure I have the pocket routed to the optimum depth, but obviously that neck has an overhang for the extra fret. Is it worth me cutting a piece of mahogony to go under the overhang do you think? Or just suck up the fact there is 4mm or so free space under there? I think it would become an 'unfinished' issue to me....

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Is the Muy Grande a Humbucker...I have the Tallboy/halfbreed/muy grande (single coil) set. Nice pups.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah its a double muy grande and you can split it :D It sucks in the universe :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, I've got it to the trial fit together stage. I'm not sure about the colour and I still may go with transparent red. It has a couple of small flaws that need filling which are showing through just the oiled finish :( I was a bit enthusiastic when drilling a hole from the humbucker route to the control cavity and chewed up a bit of the top, mostly covered by a humbucker surround plate, but can be seen - damnit!

Anyway, it still needs a fair bit of sanding to finish but everything is together and its playing really really well! I haven't put the final pups in yet, the control and trem covers need to be flush and theres a chrome flush pup surround still to come but I'm very pleased with the results thus far - the wilkinson trem is fantastic!
Attachments
topdown.jpg
topdown.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
back1.jpg
back1.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
back2.jpg
back2.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 2541 times

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

more...
Attachments
front2.jpg
front2.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
front1.jpg
front1.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
side1.jpg
side1.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

I reckon a light blue stain would compliment
the lighter headstock and rosewood more so
then the red but then again, I bought black
jeans thinking they were light blue once
so I have no idea

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

Looking good BG. Are the Wilkinson trems a straight Strat replacement unit? Definately go transparent red :) nah, looks cool now.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

if you're replacing a standard strat trem (6 hole or modern 2 hole) you'll need to drill two holes for the posts. I think other than that it should be fine.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

nice work.. 8)

you can be ash's apprentice :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I wouldn't have the patience ;) and I'd want to keep all the guitars!

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

That's looking great BG 8)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Damn that's so tasy I could lick it...

...although I'm not sure if you'd appreciate some odd guy you met once at a tone night licking your new creation, so I'll resist the temptation should I ever see it in the flesh (or wood, rather).

It is nice though, I actually like the body finish as it is.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.