robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

NPD: Source Audio LA Lady overdrive

Post by robthemac »

This came in the post yesterday. Don't need another OD but this one was going cheap on TradeMe and it has an interesting feature set.

Stock image below to wind up some forumites :thumbup:
images (29).jpeg
images (29).jpeg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
It can basically function as a traditional overdrive pedal if you want it to. Gain, output, bass and treble controls, three-way voice switch. So far, straightforward.

But the interesting part is when you link it to the Neuro app (on phone or PC). Then, it gives you the option of mono or stereo in our out, as well as controls over a lot more parameters (40ish OD/distortion/fuzz models, EQ, clean blend and more). The bit that I am interested in is that it allows you to send left and right signals through different pedal models. So I can send a Klon to my DRRI on the left, and a Tube Screamer to the Cali Tweed on the right. Or a Tonebender to the DRRI and a Big Muff to the Cali Tweed. Or a clean boost to the DRRI and a filthy dimed RAT sound to the Cali Tweed. You get individual control of parameters (gain, output, EQ, clean blend etc) left and right.

This solves one of the biggest issues for my stereo rig: pedals that work on the DRRI don't work on the Cali Tweed and vice versa. The DRRI is so bright at low volumes that most OD/distortion/fuzz will be glassy or fizzy. And the Cali Tweed needs something to add treble, otherwise it can be muddy. As the Boss ES-5 loop switcher doesn't have stereo capabilities, the LA Lady allows me to do something that the ES-5 can't.

Learning to use the app was easier than I thought. Took me about fifteen minutes of playing around before I worked it out, and now creating a present takes thirty seconds. Even if I don't want to use the app again, I have three presets saved (crush, distortion, fuzz) which I can access from the toggle switch at any time.

How does it sound? No idea, really. I only got to unpack it at about 10pm last night, so was playing at very low volumes. Hoping to wind it up a little bit on Friday and Saturday.

Will post a pedalboard shot over the next few days. Toes included for a forum donation to Beeg.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: NPD: Source Audio LA Lady overdrive

Post by robthemac »

Oh, one annoying thing. It doesn't accept standard MIDI input from a controller. You need to buy the Source Audio MIDI device, which I otherwise have no use for. Think I'd probably end up going down a stereo loop switching route first.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: NPD: Source Audio LA Lady overdrive

Post by Candeevr4 »

robthemac wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:26 pm Oh, one annoying thing. It doesn't accept standard MIDI input from a controller. You need to buy the Source Audio MIDI device, which I otherwise have no use for. Think I'd probably end up going down a stereo loop switching route first.
If you need one of the midi controllers, I have one here, you can control it from the es5 too.. :wink: