Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Re: 'New' Offset Restored Day

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks awesome J...well done!
Really nice sunburst isn't it
Also that truss rod adjustment access is great right?!
Is it a vintage radius ?
I LOVE that headstock

Can you tell me aittle about the pickups? Output ? Would you say they are 'fender jag' sounding ?

Thanks

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 am
AiRdAd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:48 am Did you just rewind the pickup? or did you have to more to it?
I had the original cover but the pickup in it was very low output and not original. So I built a new one from scratch... thought I posted it on "what's on your workbench". Will check and update.
thanks. I probably saw it, but didn't make the connection. it's great that you went to the effort of doing the pickup. :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:40 pm
AiRdAd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:48 am Did you just rewind the pickup? or did you have to more to it?
I had the original cover but the pickup in it was very low output and not original. So I built a new one from scratch... thought I posted it on "what's on your workbench". Will check and update.
thanks. I probably saw it, but didn't make the connection. it's great that you went to the effort of doing the pickup. :-)
No, I didn't post it. Will put some pics in this thread tonight.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:46 pm

thanks, that's great :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:07 pm Looks awesome J...well done!
Is it a vintage radius ?
I LOVE that headstock

Can you tell me aittle about the pickups? Output ? Would you say they are 'fender jag' sounding ?

Thanks
Thanks Mr SoT. The truss rod access is superb. Radius a straight 7.25 inch me thinks. Headstock is cool and not sure why Yamaha discontinued it. In fact, both the SG-2 and SG-3 were only made for a year starting somewhere in 1966.

Both models are snapped up pretty quickly when they appear for sale in Japan.

Re the single coil pickups:
Neck pickup original and measuring 9.35 kiloohm. Full grunty sound without getting muddy imo.
I know the original bridge pickup is the same DC resistance as the neck. When I played a fully original one some time ago I preferred the neck over the bridge.
Anyway, the bridge pickup I made follows identical construction as the original. I used AWG43 but have no idea what Yamaha used. DC resistance 7.4kOhm. My bridge pickup sounds pretty good but I am no single coil connoisseur.

You are welcome to try it out next time you are over or wait for Slowy's verdict once he has put it through the wringer :D

Edit, absolutely no noise, whole cavity shielded

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:12 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:07 pm Looks awesome J...well done!
Is it a vintage radius ?
I LOVE that headstock

Thanks
Thanks Mr SoT. The truss rod access is superb. Radius a straight 7.25 inch me thinks. Headstock is cool and not sure why Yamaha discontinued it. In fact, both the SG-2 and SG-3 were only made for a year starting somewhere in 1966.

Neck pickup original and measuring 9.35 kiloohm. Full grunty sound without getting muddy imo.
I know the original bridge pickup is the same DC resistance as the neck. When I played a fully original one some time ago I preferred the neck over the bridge.
Anyway, the bridge pickup I made follows identical construction as the original. I used AWG43 but have no idea what Yamaha used. DC resistance 7.4kOhm. My bridge pickup sounds pretty good but I am no single coil connoisseur.

You are welcome to try it out next time you are over or wait for Slowy's verdict once he has put it through the wringer :D

Quite a big difference between the neck and bridge in terms of resistance..how well do they balance ?
Id love to try it.
Always a sucker for an offset , and love two single coil set up that hasn't been poluted by a strat set up aka the middle pickup of why
Lastly, I've always rated that Yamaha trem design. The roller bridge is a nice touch too. They were really hitting their stride by 66 by the looks :thumbup:

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:25 pm
Is it a vintage radius ?
I LOVE that headstock

Thanks

Quite a big difference between the neck and bridge in terms of resistance..how well do they balance ?
Id love to try it.
Always a sucker for an offset , and love two single coil set up that hasn't been poluted by a strat set up aka the middle pickup of why
Lastly, I've always rated that Yamaha trem design. The roller bridge is a nice touch too. They were really hitting their stride by 66 by the looks :thumbup:

Yeah, I don't have a counter on my drill so calculated anticipated resistance based on thickness of total wire I put on. Surprisingly, despite that is has excellent output and is well balanced with the neck.

The trem is now even better as I have improved on the Yamaha design :D

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

News flash!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:03 pm
Jay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:46 pm

thanks, that's great :-)
I didn't document the making of the bridge pickup as it was just going to be a prototype. Really pleased with the result though, so gotta make a 'professional' one now :D
Got a few photos but also lost a few due to a mobile factory reset... Here are the bits that I do have:

Sourced a strip of soft steel shown on the bottom of the photo below. Drilled 2.5mm holes as per string spacing, then tapped them with 0.5mm pitch.

Creating the "bobbin" from polyethylene material which was taped and glued. Photos from fitting the bobbin bottom section and the timber base are gone. Winding photos also lost. Sorry :oops:
20221013_101547.jpg
20221013_101547.jpg (630.85 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

This photo shows the magnet on top of the soft steel section
20221013_101611.jpg
20221013_101611.jpg (650.54 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

And this is the top bit. I sanded the top of the screws to remove the black paint. Then cut two thin strips of aluminium foil and glued that on the top.
20221013_101448.jpg
20221013_101448.jpg (606.11 KiB) Viewed 2251 times

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2480 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:46 pm

Id love to try it.

Yeah, I don't have a counter on my drill so calculated anticipated resistance based on thickness of total wire I put on. Surprisingly, despite that is has excellent output and is well balanced with the neck.

The trem is now even better as I have improved on the Yamaha design :D
Jay, you keep it until Ants has seen it. His assessment will be far more knowlege based than I could manage.

And I can imagine the two of them gettin' along. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Very kind
Im away for a fair while , so fill you boots :)