Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: NMCBDRD

Post by Candeevr4 »

Jay wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:05 am If the corners worry you then you can always get those metal corner protector things!
I have yet to find metal corners that fit the angle for those top cabinet corners. Let alone for the two angles just below them...
Do marshall ones fit? I got some from the us for my cab that beeeg built for me.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Candeevr4 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:13 pm
Jay wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:05 am If the corners worry you then you can always get those metal corner protector things!
I have yet to find metal corners that fit the angle for those top cabinet corners. Let alone for the two angles just below them...
Do marshall ones fit? I got some from the us for my cab that beeeg built for me.
Got a link? I use 18mm thick material.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:19 pm Picked this up over the weekend. MikeC-built Deluxe Reverb in a blonde/oxblood 2x10 combo. Fully handwired. Mike might have some gutshots.

20220623_161230.jpg

Modded to have a higher-gain and pedal-friendly 'Normal' channel. Normal channel is aggressive and quite middy, almost Plexi-like. Loves a dirty boost. Vibrato channel is classic scooped, sparkly Blackface. Heaps of headroom, even winding it up to 5 with humbuckers. Thankfully takes my preferred overdrive well! Lovely spring reverb and tremolo.

Will try to find some microphones and record a thing or two.
Just wanted to add my review of this amp as I had a chance to have a blat thru earlier in the week and I've been talking to mike over the past month or two about some ideas. I have an empty blackface head shell and a 1x12 combo that I could interchange between if I got another amp built.

Anyhoo, my experience of Robs Mike C DR
1. Loud, shimmering cleans as expected. Loved the presence it has with the reletively darker telemaster pickups on my JM. Runs super quiet , minimal hiss so good for Robs sleep out delay lair.
2. Compared to other DRs I noticed it remains clean through more of the volume sweep on the vibrato channel. Even with humbuckers. This is a plus in my book.
3. It really really suits the 2x10 WGS combo and generates a surprisingly deep bass response. I had a showman amp in the same cab and I think this little 6v6 22watter has a much more pleasing sound.
4. The normal channel, which is modded to a plexi platform, is usable and cool. More mid forward.
5. Neither channel takes drive/pedals any better than most fenders and things get fizzy but thats across the board with blackface fenders.

Overall I think what I was most impressed with was the output, the clean headroom and the classic fender clean tone. If i was listening without knowing it I would have picked it for a larger 6l6 amp though.

Didnt get a chance to peek inside but looking at the pics on this thread the work looks pars excelence. Mike definately knows what he's doing.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Much appreciated Ants, it's extremely pleasing that a "good ear" likes the tone of my amp build! And your comment "If i was listening without knowing it I would have picked it for a larger 6l6" is most interesting. I use JJ 6V6-S in my DR builds because DR's run very high voltages and the JJ 6V6-S can stand it :) Of note is that many say that the JJ 6V6-S is more like and sounds like a 6L6!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 am Much appreciated Ants, it's extremely pleasing that a "good ear" likes the tone of my amp build! And your comment "If i was listening without knowing it I would have picked it for a larger 6l6" is most interesting. I use JJ 6V6-S in my DR builds because DR's run very high voltages and the JJ 6V6-S can stand it :) Of note is that many say that the JJ 6V6-S is more like and sounds like a 6L6!
Well that doesngo a long way to explaining that !
Yeh, great amp.
Have you had any reliability issues with JJs recently ?
I've had to replace a set in my band master and Clarry hs mentioned that he's gone away from them. He says the test great and handle plate voltages with great output early on but has noticed a lot of early failures ?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:47 am Mike definately knows what he's doing.
You're a monster.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:47 am Mike definately knows what he's doing.
You're a monster.
Ha, i left that there just for you

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:29 am
You're a monster.
Well..., it's really that Leo got it right!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:39 am
MikeC wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:26 am Much appreciated Ants, it's extremely pleasing that a "good ear" likes the tone of my amp build! And your comment "If i was listening without knowing it I would have picked it for a larger 6l6" is most interesting. I use JJ 6V6-S in my DR builds because DR's run very high voltages and the JJ 6V6-S can stand it :) Of note is that many say that the JJ 6V6-S is more like and sounds like a 6L6!
Well that doesngo a long way to explaining that !
Yeh, great amp.
Have you had any reliability issues with JJs recently ?
I've had to replace a set in my band master and Clarry hs mentioned that he's gone away from them. He says the test great and handle plate voltages with great output early on but has noticed a lot of early failures ?
I've had no problems with JJs but I don't build/deal with a ton of amps. I suspect it is the very high screen voltage that kill the tubes, not so much the plate voltage.