Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

NPD Hotcake

Post by Slowy »

A Hotcake has just entered my life. I've never met one before so I lined it up against my go to pair, Timmy and Archer.

First impression is it does all its work in the treble and upper mid region (yes, I know it has a mid boost). I can understand how it might pair well with an AC style amp. It certainly sounded lively with my EL84 Jansen. I use different amps in each band so it'll be interesting to see whether it has a preference for '84s over 6L6s.

Any tips, tricks or settings from those of you who use one?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: NPD Hotcake

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:13 pm A Hotcake has just entered my life. I've never met one before so I lined it up against my go to pair, Timmy and Archer.

First impression is it does all its work in the treble and upper mid region (yes, I know it has a mid boost). I can understand how it might pair well with an AC style amp. It certainly sounded lively with my EL84 Jansen. I use different amps in each band so it'll be interesting to see whether it has a preference for '84s over 6L6s.

Any tips, tricks or settings from those of you who use one?
It makes a wonderful clean boost with the gain below 8 o'clock.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Gain sounds best when you’re juuuust easing it up to get extra harmonics going on whilst using the level to smash the snot out of an amp input, mids to taste.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I L O V E the Hotcake with my AC10, this is my go to setting for a dirty good time.
Attachments
8F4C96DC-414E-4063-AD8D-12B004BB2E87.png
8F4C96DC-414E-4063-AD8D-12B004BB2E87.png (8.88 MiB) Viewed 1992 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:57 pm I L O V E the Hotcake with my AC10, this is my go to setting for a dirty good time.
Interesting. Mine's older than that; just has a mid boost switch.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Long time since I had one, but I do recall liking it best with the presence knob all the way off (switch off in your case), but would depend on amp probably. The drive on max sounds a bit farty (kinda fuzz like).
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Whats the XLF switch do?
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Miza wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:33 am Whats the XLF switch do?
To quote from the man himself:
This is the V2 Version of the incredible Hotcake by Crowther Audio!

With the new version comes with a few different flavours (or condiments) to sink your teeth into!

The +CREAM setting is a bit smoother than the Bluesberry setting (available as a dip switch inside V1), and is now accessible from the outside.

The XLF eXtended Low Frequency setting allows more low end through, perfect of for bass and 7 string guitars. This acts as in the same way the "Bass" Dip Switch did internally on the V1. Without it engaged, the low end has a gentle roll off just below the low E on a guitar to reduce any sub harmonic products from heavy guitar chords which may be hard going for a smaller guitar amp.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

My 10c - Great with EL84 / Marshall and Vox style amps. I have always been disappointed using it into Fender / 6L6 amps.

I've had the early one with the switch and 2 knobs (stolen), a 3 knob one, and a double hotcake. Most use was the 3knob one, gain around 2pm, presence around 1pm, drive around 11pm. Added a real thickness and a bit of dirt to my lead sound. A lot of cut through as well. When I put on my rose tinted glasses I remember this as the best live sound I had.

I picked up the DHC about the same time as I picked up a 6V6 amp, and they never played nice, so haven't owned one for a while now.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I borrowed a mates for a while to use as a boost but found the level of tone suck on bypass to be unacceptable. not sure what version it was but prob an early one.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

That sounds odd. The HC has a buffered bypass type system that is highly respected, I've read posts from people who feel that just having an HC in line improves their sound.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

There is a setting where it’s 100% transparent. Crowther said so in an interview. I tried it and it was correct. Something like gain low. Volume low, presence off.
My preferred lead tone is a Les Paul through this into a fender 6L6 style. Sings.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Mosfet wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:32 am
My preferred lead tone is a Les Paul through this into a fender 6L6 style. Sings.
I have access to those things...will try it!