NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

NAD: Peavey Bandit, teal stripe.

Post by NippleWrestler »

I stopped by Cash Converters randomly on the way home from football and they had this guy in there for a listed price of $200. We settled at $160.

1994, teal stripe.

I really enjoy how it says "Made in USA" on every single panel except the one at the bottom shielding the reverb tank. They really wanted people to know where this amp was made.

I took it apart to clean some schmutz from the pots (crackling) and cab and while doing so I found some Rizla papers in the back and a few spliff ends. That sounds like good pedigree to me.

The old Bandits like this one have undergone a resurgence in the past few years and prices have been climbing (one I was bidding on went for $360 on TM) as people seem to appreciate their no-nonsense looks, Sherman tank durability, portability, and decent enough sound.

Speaking of sounds: the clean is way better than I was expecting, the spring reverb (huge tank) adds a much needed feeling of width and space. It's genuinely very very nice and the EQ has an enormous sweep. It's a passive EQ on the clean channel and the little button named "channel" switches you over to the gain channel which is all active EQ. Interestingly rather than just bass, middle, treble, Peavey called them Bottom, Body, and Edge which is pleasingly 90s. Since this EQ is active the dials go from -15 to +15 to indicate the respective cut or boost. Could they have gone with a BMT here as well? Sure, but where's the fun.

The drive sounds are anywhere you like, seriously. It'll do a good vox impression and it'll do a very fun 80s scooped mid death metal thing too. The EQ section is immense and there's also a gain boost and a mid scoopy button thing which is basically hilarious but kudos to Peavey for sticking everything possible into the one box. There's enough gain and volume on tap for most eventualities, but with it being a 1x12 you're gonna get some boxiness and congestion.

Peavey Bandits. Good times.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: NAD: Peavey Bandit, teal stripe.

Post by jimi »

When I was at Uni almost every guitarist I knew had one of these. A staple of student flats and practice spaces across Dunedin.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I had a teal Studio 112. Blimey... it was proper heavy!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Wheres it made ?..........

:thumbup:
:mental:

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

My first amp was one of these, I even brought one again when I started playing again after a 20 yr break, mainly as I had no idea of what else to buy.

Heavy bloody amps, always remember carrying the 2x12 Chorus model too, seemed to make my arms longer..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I love these. Similar to Jimi's experience, when I was at school all the cool kids had one.

I don't normally do dibs posts... in fact I don't think I've ever done one at all... but should you want to move it on, I'll take it 8)
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

even the stuff that was a joke ends up in vogue again.looks my bubble has burst-no more 1$ a watt for old goat :(

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Heard these are great for jazz. Standard backline amp. Always wanted one but the prices they have been going for seem silly.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

codedog wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:16 pm I had a teal Studio 112. Blimey... it was proper heavy!
I had a Bandit 112 back in the day and I can conure in regards to the weight. If you were looking to cut down on the amount of lifting required compared to gigging with a half-stack, this wasn't the amp!
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Olderama wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:23 pm Wheres it made ?..........

:thumbup:
Sheffield, says so on the front.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

So much want back in the day lol, glad to see they’re still getting some attention!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

quyet wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:32 pm Heard these are great for jazz. Standard backline amp. Always wanted one but the prices they have been going for seem silly.
Yeah it'd do really well for jazz I reckon. Honestly the clean channel has no right to be this good and the reverb is excellent too, probably due to the massive reverb tank in there.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

jimi wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:20 pm When I was at Uni almost every guitarist I knew had one of these. A staple of student flats and practice spaces across Dunedin.
This, in Auckland as well. So many of these were the weapon of choice for hardcore and punk bands at shows in the late 90's/early 00's that I went to.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

I remember they were priced just below the crate stuff,which is what all us metal dudes wanted but just couldnt quite stretch to.
I really like the 10's as well-backstage,audition....i have a backstage that i turned into a head and its 65w keeps up ok with a band in E standard.

On a related note, did anyone see the decade bubble after Josh homme did a rig talk? some people will be left burning after paying over 500 usd for a rage!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Kris wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:33 am I remember they were priced just below the crate stuff,which is what all us metal dudes wanted but just couldnt quite stretch to.
I really like the 10's as well-backstage,audition....i have a backstage that i turned into a head and its 65w keeps up ok with a band in E standard.

On a related note, did anyone see the decade bubble after Josh homme did a rig talk? some people will be left burning after paying over 500 usd for a rage!
Ah yes, his secret weapon $50 amp recorded through a $3000 mic into a $250,000 recording console manned by pro audio engineers.

There's going to be some disappointed people out there.