GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: NAD: Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:05 am
GrantB wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am Nice to hear about the tone = to tubes.

Re bright, and I'm not trying to be funny, but turn down the treble knob until it sounds good? Not suggesting you have this issue also, but many people I know want the amp to sound perfect with all knobs at midday. As in, it's some sort of disorder they have about deviating from dead center. My knobs are all over place (!). I keep tweaking until it sounds good, and then that's it. On my TC15 that means the treble is down, and the cut up - and that would send some OCD folk over the top..
The treble controls on Blackface amps are frustrating, for me. The help to take out the ice-pick frequencies in the middle of the treble band, but they also take out those super high treble frequencies that give Blackface amps the sparkle that I love them for. So by the time you get the treble control to a point where it isn't shredding ears on a Strat bridge, you've lost what is special (to me) about a Blackface.

But to be fair, I've only owned one, so not the most informed of opinions.
I hear you. I changed speaker to balance this aspect out on my PR.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I found this was the most excellent way to dial in the EQ on any amp, and often ends up quite different to what I normally had run... Give it a try and see how it changes your tone!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:21 pm On the "bright" vs treble knob issue - the Tone Master was brighter than the other Deluxe Reverb at the same settings. I found the "classic" bass at 4, treble at 6 settings for Fender Blackface amps to work well on the tube amp.

The Tone Master could be adjusted to a more useable, less bright tone pretty easily. I was more checking how closely they were able to model the original amp.

The "Power scaling" on the back panel is because all the other controls are identical to the tube original. It ends up being more or less a Master Volume, but with set increments instead of continuous variation. Again - this amp is trying to closely model the original DR, so I guess it makes sense to make-believe you're using an attenuator!
I have no idea why they didn't use a continuous power scaling feature. But I know SFA about electronics, so....
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:02 pm I found this was the most excellent way to dial in the EQ on any amp, and often ends up quite different to what I normally had run... Give it a try and see how it changes your tone!

That was posted previously (by you?) and I tried it - works great I dramatically altered my amp & made it come alive.
The clean channel on my amp only has treble & bass and when I finished they were both up to around 6 -7 and because they both moved about the same, I believe that the adjustment would essentially increase the mids.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

H671 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:02 pm I found this was the most excellent way to dial in the EQ on any amp, and often ends up quite different to what I normally had run... Give it a try and see how it changes your tone!

That was posted previously (by you?) and I tried it - works great I dramatically altered my amp & made it come alive.
The clean channel on my amp only has treble & bass and when I finished they were both up to around 6 -7 and because they both moved about the same, I believe that the adjustment would essentially increase the mids.
:mental: yup twas me! Glad it helped!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.