rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 653 times

Re: Show us your pedalboard

Post by rickenbackerkid »

So did I. The Peterson tuners along with I'm sure many other tuners have custom profiles, so even though you look at it, see 'E' and tune it, you're not strictly tuning to E, it might be E - 10 cents or something like that.

The reasons for this is that fretted instruments can't be tuned perfectly, every note on every fret is basically off, either sharp or flat by some degree and it only works because it's close enough to sound like music overall.

Sweetened tunings attempt to fix this. And obviously they can't, as that would be impossible, but they can make a difference.

1) First thing they do is try to tune strings so that 5th's are correct. Guitarists love 5ths and play them constantly, they are probably the most common interval most guitarists play, so if you can get those sweet you're away laughing. We're often doing this already by ear, as an example I've been tuning with a tuner and then manually tweaking the B string for at least 10 years

2) Second thing they do it is try to compensate for string physics. When you do a big old chord and hit the strings hard, the strings deflect away from the pick and go sharp, specially the E and A strings. So if you tune to a true E, and you're playing big chords at lot, that string is probably sharp most of the time. The sweetened tuning will have you tuning the thing slightly flat, so that once you hit it hard and push it sharp, it's actually in tune.

Also on fancy tuners you can edit and create your own tuning presets, if you feel the desire to spend days working out your own tuning.
I use the Peterson Guitar preset, edited to make the B string a fair bit flat and I think I made the D string a little less flat than the stock preset. This setting works fabulously on both my electrics and both acoustics. I also use the Peterson 12 string preset on my Eastwood. The most famous sweetened tuning is probably James Taylors', which he worked out decades ago and has been using ever since, I tried that one and while it was great with a capo on, I didn't like it when playing on the first few frets.

Anyway, worth a try, I've found it 100% worthwhile, even if no one else notices or cares.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2480 times

Post by Slowy »

Current iteration.
Most recent addition is the GE-7. I've had it for ages and cannot understand why it took so long to make it to my board. I've got a couple of settings and it only takes a second to change them. Really easy.

The Tumnus gets a lot of standalone use as a clean boost or mild drive. It also pairs up with both the Iron Bell and Zendrive to tighten them up and give them focus.
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG (568.76 KiB) Viewed 3758 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Slowy wrote:Current iteration.
Most recent addition is the GE-7. I've had it for ages and cannot understand why it took so long to make it to my board. I've got a couple of settings and it only takes a second to change them. Really easy.

The Tumnus gets a lot of standalone use as a clean boost or mild drive. It also pairs up with both the Iron Bell and Zendrive to tighten them up and give them focus.
IMG_3456.JPG
That's a great board Slowy, how's that phaser working out for you?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

hamo wrote:

IMG_3456.JPG
That's a great board Slowy, how's that phaser working out for you?
Perfect Hamo, just enough swirl without everything turning to mush.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Phaser is a bit exotic for you, isn't it Slowy?!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

Conway wrote:Phaser is a bit exotic for you, isn't it Slowy?!
Not for Slowy Exotic!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

IMG_3456.JPG
Has the Timmy morphed into a Tumnus now?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Hell yeah, really pushing the boat out. Had to insist on playing 'Message in a Bottle' so it had something to do. :rofl:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Has the Timmy morphed into a Tumnus now?
Because I'm in a band with 3 guitars, I need midrange. That's the one thing Timmy doesn't do. It's having an extended vacation until I have a project with one guitar.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:
Not for Slowy Exotic!

Why am I so irritated by someone who obviously can't play miming on guitar? :evil:

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Slowy wrote:
Hell yeah, really pushing the boat out. Had to insist on playing 'Message in a Bottle' so it had something to do. :rofl:
Somehow my rig ended up with an Echoplex and Camoflange and I just can't stop playing Police songs now, highly recommend the Thorpy camoflange by the way.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Voxshall wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Somehow my rig ended up with an Echoplex and Camoflange and I just can't stop playing Police songs now, highly recommend the Thorpy camoflange by the way.
I quite like several types of modulation. I just can't ever get them to work for me live. Have pretty much given up.

Anybody want a TC Electronics Nova Modulator?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Slowy wrote:
Anybody want a TC Electronics Nova Modulator?

oooh. I could be tempted actually. What are they worth?

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Voxshall wrote:
Slowy wrote:

+1 on the Camoflange.
Seriously looking at getting one.
Thinking of waiting till our dollar improves & more certainty not getting lost in the shipping wilderness post Covid.

ALTOIDS
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by ALTOIDS »

My poor pedalboard

Joyo Tuner -> Vox Wah Wah -> ModTone Dyno Drive -> EHX Bass Big Muff -> Baby Boom Reverb -> Vox Double Decca delay -> Ditto
Curiously strong mints.