Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 296 times

Re: Show us your pedalboard

Post by murky »

clubhouse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Ooooh...is there a NZ supplier for the SP400 jacks or did you import them? Please, where did you get that heat-shrink from?
Sounds like a killer rig!

Not sure whether there’s a NZ supplier for the SP400’s. I imported from Bestronics (BTPA.com), but they’re everywhere now. Heat shrink is Jaycar.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

murky wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 pm
Try it on yours though, and let me know how it sounds!
I'm hoping it works a little better, as I use about 1W of my amp's 30W! More headroom might keep things cleaner, but yeah phasing may be problematic.

What attenuators are you using, out of interest?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

murky wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:01 am
clubhouse wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:14 pm

Ooooh...is there a NZ supplier for the SP400 jacks or did you import them? Please, where did you get that heat-shrink from?
Sounds like a killer rig!

Not sure whether there’s a NZ supplier for the SP400’s. I imported from Bestronics (BTPA.com), but they’re everywhere now. Heat shrink is Jaycar.
I’ve never had a board for my pedals. I’m thinking about it now as it was an embarrassing PITA when setting up after the previous band…laying the talent boxes out and connecting the whole mess together, fault finding power issues, all the while getting eyeball daggers from the drummer….’lets go already, fuxkn guitarists!’

Do SP400 square jacks truly allow for a more compact layout, say compared to those pan-head, Switchcraft jacks? Any issues to know? You’ve insulated the bodies…is there earth loop hum issues otherwise? What’s your experience on the whole. Genuinely impressed by your journey with your set-up!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by murky »

robthemac wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:52 am
I'm hoping it works a little better, as I use about 1W of my amp's 30W! More headroom might keep things cleaner, but yeah phasing may be problematic.

Alex’s/Scumback attenuators. They’ve got a massive toroidal in them for the reactive thing, go down to whisper quiet, and retain the squish and sag without getting fizzy. A/B’d Aracom, Faustine DX2, Hotplate, Ironman, Airbrake and a few other obscure ones, before settling on them. Freyette power station and Boss Waza TAE are probably the only ones on the list yet to try….

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

murky wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:35 pm

Alex’s/Scumback attenuators. They’ve got a massive toroidal in them for the reactive thing, go down to whisper quiet, and retain the squish and sag without getting fizzy. A/B’d Aracom, Faustine DX2, Hotplate, Ironman, Airbrake and a few other obscure ones, before settling on them. Freyette power station and Boss Waza TAE are probably the only ones on the list yet to try….
I love attentuators in theory, but haven't found one I like in practice. I have an Airbrake clone and a Weber at the moment, but didn't use them. Love to try a Fryette though.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

robthemac wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm
murky wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:35 pm

I love attentuators in theory, but haven't found one I like in practice. I have an Airbrake clone and a Weber at the moment, but didn't use them. Love to try a Fryette though.
From watching TPS, I thought I'd give 'underdrive' a crack. The goal being a nice, harmonically rich (not rizzy) edge of break up tone at a manageable volume at home.
I'm going EP booster set at about 10 o'clock into a Timmy with a smidge of gain. The EP gives the Timmy some much needed girth in the lower mids dept. and additional gain. I have the volume on the Timmy set real low, but I have the volume on the amp above half way (something about breathing..)
You'd think it'd sound like shit being 'choked' by the Timmy in the middle, but bugger me, it sounds really good. Maybe something to do with the Timmy's transparency (yes, I said it). I can hit the beginning of the chain with a fuzz for balls to the wall.
Certainly sounds waaaay better than the amp on low (bright cap doing it's thing :sick:) and overdrive coming from a pedal(s).

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

IMOCD wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:35 pm From watching TPS, I thought I'd give 'underdrive' a crack. The goal being a nice, harmonically rich (not rizzy) edge of break up tone at a manageable volume at home.
I'm going EP booster set at about 10 o'clock into a Timmy with a smidge of gain. The EP gives the Timmy some much needed girth in the lower mids dept. and additional gain. I have the volume on the Timmy set real low, but I have the volume on the amp above half way (something about breathing..)
You'd think it'd sound like shit being 'choked' by the Timmy in the middle, but bugger me, it sounds really good. Maybe something to do with the Timmy's transparency (yes, I said it). I can hit the beginning of the chain with a fuzz for balls to the wall.
Certainly sounds waaaay better than the amp on low (bright cap doing it's thing :sick:) and overdrive coming from a pedal(s).
'Underdrive'. That's quite cool...I saw a rig rundown of Julian Lage's where he used a Shin Ei 'Big' pre-amp to gently boost a throttled down Morning Glory. I love his live sound so have been goofing with that ever since. I'm into a Marshall 1974x set at 8, to let the thing 'breathe' as you say, about 600 mm from me in a small room. Haven't settled on a pre yet. (auditioning an ART MP valve pre at the mo') into a Timmy like you with the volume pot barely cracked open. Going for the same vibe as you by the sounds of it...nearly there...it's fun!

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Sorry, no board...
Attachments
Underdrive!
Underdrive!
ART Tube MP + Timmy detail.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1214 times
Breathe...
Breathe...
Marshall 1974x vol pot.jpg (579.58 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Racket monger
Racket monger
Marshall 1974x + Fender Starcaster.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1214 times

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 pm Sorry, no board...
A pic of the starcaster would be most welcome. :thumbup:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Jealous of that surf green Timmy!!
Nothing to see here.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wait a minute, is that a 1974x wound right up? Respect.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm
I almost got tinnitus just looking at that. Attenuator?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm
Look at the Timmy......
Interesting idea. Must try.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm
Nah that's the great thing about 1974x, they're not actually crazy loud. Yeah, they're loud enough to piss off neighbours, but compared to a Deluxe Reverb or AC30, you're doing ok. I remember being able to wind them up in the back room of the Rockshop without getting any complaints.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Rated around 18W from 2x EL84's from what I've just been reading. Less power than a DR!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe