RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Re: NRTD: 6P3S matched quad

Post by RectifiedAmps »

The problem with 6P3S tubes is not dissipation - it's their maximum voltage ratings. Apparently the max plate/anode voltage is 400V and the max screen is 300V. You can probably push the anode voltage out to 450V without problems but Mesas put 350-400V (or more) on the screens, which will be your weak link in the long run. If these are the 6P3S-E then they have a higher rating and should be ok, but if they're standard 6P3S I'd be careful if using them in an amp where there's no fusing that protects for screen shorts.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:54 pm The problem with 6P3S tubes is not dissipation - it's their maximum voltage ratings. Apparently the max plate/anode voltage is 400V and the max screen is 300V. You can probably push the anode voltage out to 450V without problems but Mesas put 350-400V (or more) on the screens, which will be your weak link in the long run. If these are the 6P3S-E then they have a higher rating and should be ok, but if they're standard 6P3S I'd be careful if using them in an amp where there's no fusing that protects for screen shorts.
I did find this info, allegedly the English translation of an included data sheet

http://www.rutubes.com/product/6p3s-6l6 ... -tube-nib/

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

And then the next comment says:

"That data sheet is also total baloney in terms of maximum voltages, as well as dissipation ratings. These tubes will happily take 500V, possibly more. They're tough as nails."

Don't you love Russian tubes?

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

The problem is that a lot of people mean 6P3S-E when they just say 6P3S. The E variant can take up to 500v and I think that’s the one everyone raves about for being tough. You might be fine with standard 6P3S - most russian tubes can be pushed well beyond their rated values. All valves fail eventually, but a valve pushed beyond its limits will fail in a more ‘spectacular’ manner when it finally goes. YMMV of course and if it’s fused appropriately then it shouldn’t matter either way.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:33 pm The problem is that a lot of people mean 6P3S-E when they just say 6P3S. The E variant can take up to 500v and I think that’s the one everyone raves about for being tough. You might be fine with standard 6P3S - most russian tubes can be pushed well beyond their rated values. All valves fail eventually, but a valve pushed beyond its limits will fail in a more ‘spectacular’ manner when it finally goes. YMMV of course and if it’s fused appropriately then it shouldn’t matter either way.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure. They look very different, cost a lot more and have the E printed on the side. But, if someone is getting E suffix for the same price I want to know where.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Those voltages were using the 240v tap too, they were higher with the 230v tap that Mesa use when they ship to NZ.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...