Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mr Davison
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: NFSD

Post by Mr Davison »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am Life goals complete.
You are quite correct! The full stacks were a celebratory gift as I'm moving from Auckland to a large property in Doubtless Bay!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Dharmajester wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 am Nice, Big fan of those Heritage H30 55 hz speakers. I've a straight front quad of 55's and another of 75hz :thumbup:

Jeff Beck had a nice trick with the angled top cabs. He'd put the top most upside down so the angle was pointing down slightly.
The speakers really are very good, they get the exact vintage tone I'm looking for. Also find them pleasant sounding from new, obviously better with break in but I find the standard greenbacks intolerably harsh when new & needing serious amounts of play time to relax that harshness.
Love the Jeff Beck trick, despite the offensive OCD it may cause!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am
Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:50 am Bloody hell....I'd love to hear this lot. What's its range?
It certainly projects afar. You don't want one of those little coily cables, been stuck right in front of it will cause extreme disintegration!
The vintage looking cabs are very manageable thru the volume range. Obviously loud but manageable.
The 800 cabs can get very extreme in volume (240w each). Especially as 2 x 8ohm cabs means running your head at 4 ohms, you truly unlock your amps full sonic potential. With the 1987 head it gets absurdly loud, I try not to run it much past 7 on the volume :wink:
Did you ever hook everything up and run it all on ten? You've got to do that, eh? At home. Just once. :-)

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Much like. Reminds me of the one gig I was absurd enough to bring a full stack to at the Kings Arms about 15 years ago - I had a DSL 100 and 1960AV cab but had acquired a 1960B in a trade which I sold but had long enough to use for one show... the sound guy that KA (Mark, lovely chap, so accomodating) just laughed but agreed it looked cool :P

The other guitarist turned up with his Fender Blue Deville and just shook his head :)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:54 am
Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:41 am
Molly wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:50 am Bloody hell....I'd love to hear this lot. What's its range?
It certainly projects afar. You don't want one of those little coily cables, been stuck right in front of it will cause extreme disintegration!
The vintage looking cabs are very manageable thru the volume range. Obviously loud but manageable.
The 800 cabs can get very extreme in volume (240w each). Especially as 2 x 8ohm cabs means running your head at 4 ohms, you truly unlock your amps full sonic potential. With the 1987 head it gets absurdly loud, I try not to run it much past 7 on the volume :wink:
Did you ever hook everything up and run it all on ten? You've got to do that, eh? At home. Just once. :-)
The JMP (2204) is great for cranking, sweet spot for me is anywhere in the 7 - 9 range but have once had it fully opened up (all on 10 as a half stack). The 1987 (baby plexi) is hard to take past 7 as it starts to unfragment the universe!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

Mr Davison
Squier

Post by Mr Davison »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm Much like. Reminds me of the one gig I was absurd enough to bring a full stack to at the Kings Arms about 15 years ago - I had a DSL 100 and 1960AV cab but had acquired a 1960B in a trade which I sold but had long enough to use for one show... the sound guy that KA (Mark, lovely chap, so accomodating) just laughed but agreed it looked cool :P

The other guitarist turned up with his Fender Blue Deville and just shook his head :)
Played Backbeat (above ak rockshop) a couple of times & plugged into that Jimi Hendrix full stack. Was running a low wattage head but was still absurdly loud for the venue. Mark now does sound at Whammy & is still a god of sound!
Sonic mayhem unleashed

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Mr Davison wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 pm
The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:09 pm Much like. Reminds me of the one gig I was absurd enough to bring a full stack to at the Kings Arms about 15 years ago - I had a DSL 100 and 1960AV cab but had acquired a 1960B in a trade which I sold but had long enough to use for one show... the sound guy that KA (Mark, lovely chap, so accomodating) just laughed but agreed it looked cool :P

Played Backbeat (above ak rockshop) a couple of times & plugged into that Jimi Hendrix full stack. Was running a low wattage head but was still absurdly loud for the venue. Mark now does sound at Whammy & is still a god of sound!
Some of the best tones I ever heard were the guys from Midnight Youth doing Slayer covers through that stack in Backbeat. But that is usually waaaay too much amp for the room.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.