Keen to see/hear about those using more than one amp.

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Keen to see/hear about those using more than one amp.

Post by IMOCD »

Show us yer stereo / wet-dry / wet-dry-wet / dual mono setup. Especially keen to hear how you get around the ground loop issues; how and where you split the signal; what amps are you using; any fx loops in use and positioning of amps to get best stereo image. (I really like how stereo is described as an "image" :thumbup: )
I'm keen to revist using two amps, but want to do it properly this time. :wink:

Piccies welcomed.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: Keen to see/hear about those using more than one amp.

Post by Voxshall »

I use a Gigrig G3 for two amps stereo or Wet/Dry, add a Gigrig Humdinger for 3 amps Wet/Dry/Wet. You can use a Attenuator or Re load box with a line out for a one amp Wet/Dry with two cabs or buy a Komet Ambicab for a simple all in one box simple solution. I use some effects in my amps loop when using one amp but not when using Wet/Dry. Stereo and Wet Dry has awesome tone benefits but it gets a bit tiring setting it up and carting it all around. I might get an Ambicab myself this year for a simple easy to carry solution.

PM me if you do want to buy a Humdinger or a Gigrig switcher as I have a couple of spares I no longer need.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Currently running two amps but have in the past run three and will again if I come across another HC30. I have a mod, delay and reverb in the loop of a Powerstation through which I'm running a 1959 Slp. Rest of my pedals can be sent to the front of either amp and last on my pedal board is a Palmer Triage which enables any combintion of three amps. Prior to the Palmer I had a Lehle little dual which was equally good but only caters to two amps.
Others swear by Radial's a/b box but I could never get rid of hum when using one. Lehle and Palmer, no problems.
These items perform a crucial role with more than one amp plus of course the additional fx in loop and on the floor provide numerous opportunities for noise and grounding issues to occur. I also use a euro plug powerstrip with all my kit coming off it so everything goes to the same ground....
All this is run through quad cabs. Two of them are straight front, 16 ohm ( H30's ). The third ( angled ) has a pair of H75's in the bottom and a pair of Alnico Cream's in the top. This one is wired as two 8 ohm pairs with a partially open back so I have the option of running both amps through the one cab or going into it through a parallel box so it becomes another 16 ohm quad cab.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

My first setup was pretty basic. Guitar --> Flint --> VHT (right) and Marshall (left). Used to run OD and boost between the Flint and Marshall to get a wet/dry effect (with the VHT staying dry). Ended up putting OD and boost before the Flint because I preferred drive on both sides to wet-dry (the two sides were too different to actually get a stereo image).

Now a bit more complicated. Guitar --> overdrives --> Flint (L+R) --> delay (L+R) --> mixer (L+R) --> VHT (left) + BlackStar (R). I love the sound of stereo delay repeats with the dry signal staying central. The mixer allows adjustment of the stereo width and effectively the volume going into each amp from a single location. It also gives a headphone out for playing quietly.

I have never had issues with ground loop. But I play very, very quietly so maybe I just haven't heard it.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

Dharmajester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 pm Currently running two amps but have in the past run three and will again if I come across another HC30. I have a mod, delay and reverb in the loop of a Powerstation through which I'm running a 1959 Slp. Rest of my pedals can be sent to the front of either amp and last on my pedal board is a Palmer Triage which enables any combintion of three amps. Prior to the Palmer I had a Lehle little dual which was equally good but only caters to two amps.
Others swear by Radial's a/b box but I could never get rid of hum when using one. Lehle and Palmer, no problems.
These items perform a crucial role with more than one amp plus of course the additional fx in loop and on the floor provide numerous opportunities for noise and grounding issues to occur. I also use a euro plug powerstrip with all my kit coming off it so everything goes to the same ground....
All this is run through quad cabs. Two of them are straight front, 16 ohm ( H30's ). The third ( angled ) has a pair of H75's in the bottom and a pair of Alnico Cream's in the top. This one is wired as two 8 ohm pairs with a partially open back so I have the option of running both amps through the one cab or going into it through a parallel box so it becomes another 16 ohm quad cab.
Fark!! I bet that sounds huge. Do you have any clips/vids?

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

robthemac wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:05 pm My first setup was pretty basic. Guitar --> Flint --> VHT (right) and Marshall (left). Used to run OD and boost between the Flint and Marshall to get a wet/dry effect (with the VHT staying dry). Ended up putting OD and boost before the Flint because I preferred drive on both sides to wet-dry (the two sides were too different to actually get a stereo image).

Now a bit more complicated. Guitar --> overdrives --> Flint (L+R) --> delay (L+R) --> mixer (L+R) --> VHT (left) + BlackStar (R). I love the sound of stereo delay repeats with the dry signal staying central. The mixer allows adjustment of the stereo width and effectively the volume going into each amp from a single location. It also gives a headphone out for playing quietly.

I have never had issues with ground loop. But I play very, very quietly so maybe I just haven't heard it.
Hmmm.....liking the use of a mixer. I'm also a fan of that approach with delay repeats. Volante fanboy here too!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Dharmajester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 pm Currently running two amps but have in the past run three and will again if I come across another HC30. I have a mod, delay and reverb in the loop of a Powerstation
I'm waiting for a Powerstation with stereo outputs. My understanding is that they take the speaker level signal and attenuate it down do line level, before re-amplifying it back up to speaker level. Can't see any reason they could run a mono to stereo effects loop and then two amplified outputs.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Here's my portable set-up in my office. Not that I've had a single moment to plug it in this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_20210516_182238.jpg
IMG_20210516_182238.jpg (6.19 MiB) Viewed 2258 times

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

IMOCD wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm dual mono setup.
I just used one dirty one clean.
IMOCD wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm Especially keen to hear how you get around the ground loop issues;
Initially I cut the ground wire on 1 lead, which worked, but then I upgraded to a dirt cheap used Radial Bigshot.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

IMOCD wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm Show us yer stereo / wet-dry / wet-dry-wet / dual mono setup. Especially keen to hear how you get around the ground loop issues; how and where you split the signal; what amps are you using; any fx loops in use and positioning of amps to get best stereo image. (I really like how stereo is described as an "image" :thumbup: )

Piccies welcomed.

yeah but stage or home? they're significantly different!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I'm building a wet/dry/wet headphone set up in a rack case with load boxes and a mixer. I'm using two H9s as splitters as well as effects. First H9 splits into two preamps. This can be dry/wet or stereo (not sure if I can do this per preset). Then line out from the second amp load box goes into the second H9. Then the first amp load box line out and two second H9 outputs all run into the mixer as wet/dry/wet, and go out as stereo to the headphones (wet stereo left, dry mono centre, wet stereo right)

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

Bg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:42 pm
IMOCD wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm Show us yer stereo / wet-dry / wet-dry-wet / dual mono setup. Especially keen to hear how you get around the ground loop issues; how and where you split the signal; what amps are you using; any fx loops in use and positioning of amps to get best stereo image. (I really like how stereo is described as an "image" :thumbup: )

Piccies welcomed.

yeah but stage or home? they're significantly different!
Fair call. I'm interested in either/or.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

IMOCD wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 pm Piccies welcomed.
Are you sure?

Some people find this...

...offensive...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

helix and near field monitors for home.
helix and PA for stage.

Sorted.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NZTone.e
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by NZTone.e »

Dharmajester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 pm Currently running two amps but have in the past run three and will again if I come across another HC30. I have a mod, delay and reverb in the loop of a Powerstation through which I'm running a 1959 Slp. Rest of my pedals can be sent to the front of either amp and last on my pedal board is a Palmer Triage which enables any combintion of three amps. Prior to the Palmer I had a Lehle little dual which was equally good but only caters to two amps.
Holy shit! Do you gig with this rig?

It must sound epic!