Keen to see/hear about those using more than one amp.

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Keen to see/hear about those using more than one amp.

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I did a cool thing once where I mic'd my amp with an e906 which I fed into my old eleven rack to add stereo chorus/echo/reverb and ran the wet stuff out into my dB Tech PA system. Pretty cool rig.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I have old style Fender and Marshall and plug a patch lead from a spare input socket out to the other amp.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 378 times

Post by Dharmajester »

NZTone.e wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm
Dharmajester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:47 pm Currently running two amps but have in the past run three and will again if I come across another HC30. I have a mod, delay and reverb in the loop of a Powerstation through which I'm running a 1959 Slp. Rest of my pedals can be sent to the front of either amp and last on my pedal board is a Palmer Triage which enables any combintion of three amps. Prior to the Palmer I had a Lehle little dual which was equally good but only caters to two amps.
Others swear by Radial's a/b box but I could never get rid of hum when using one. Lehle and Palmer, no problems.
These items perform a crucial role with more than one amp plus of course the additional fx in loop and on the floor provide numerous opportunities for noise and grounding issues to occur. I also use a euro plug powerstrip with all my kit coming off it so everything goes to the same ground....
All this is run through quad cabs. Two of them are straight front, 16 ohm ( H30's ). The third ( angled ) has a pair of H75's in the bottom and a pair of Alnico Cream's in the top. This one is wired as two 8 ohm pairs with a partially open back so I have the option of running both amps through the one cab or going into it through a parallel box so it becomes another 16 ohm quad cab.
Holy shit! Do you gig with this rig?

It must sound epic!
Gig with it, fuck no. I used a similar setup in the 70's extensively but if I was playing out these days it would be thoroughly impractical.
I'd a mate years ago who weened himself off Peruvin marching powder by buying an AC Cobra. Every time he felt the need for a lift he'd hop into the Cobra and hammer down the road a few k's, round a roundabout and straight home again. The rig serves a similar lift role for me ( not that I have any substance issues ) 10 mins of guitar screaming at rib crushing levels and I'm good to go...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Similar here, I can play well enough to drive a vintage into sag and enjoy the sensory feedback.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

The few times I can be bothered with dual amps, I run out of the left / right of my Flint to the Badcat Cub in 12ax7 mode on one side and the Bogner Duende in A-only (Fendery) on the other. Mixed left / right.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

In my gigging days in India, we could spec rental backline so I used to carry my amp and 2x12 and ask for 2 Fender HRDs as wet amps

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bco9oE5D_ho ... phmss9084j

I used a Suhr line out box off one of the speaker outs to send to FX (delay and reverb 100% wet mixed with 2x Suhr Mini Mixes)

I’ve also run stereo on some gigs, main amp fx send feeding the loop fx and stereo returns into each fx return

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOOfSvqD7eK ... he9va5sy5w

These days if I do run 2 amps, I split with a Lehle P Split in front

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNoYknTn8J ... duzivfhu4t

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

blackstratblues wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 pm These days if I do run 2 amps, I split with a Lehle P Split in front

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNoYknTn8J ... duzivfhu4t
Holy shit. This clip is pure fire.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

I made a video describing how I run two amps simultaneously:

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

My mainstay is a wet/dry setup.
If the head has a line out jack, it’s fed to a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp for the wet cab
If not, a line out box will go from the head’s second speaker jack into the separate poweramp.
Usually just running a splash of delay & verb courtesy of El Cap & Neunabar Wet.
4x12’s used.

Occasionally I’ll run a dual set up.
Experiment to find amps that compliment each other.
Say like a mid crunch Marshall combined with modern high gain flavour like VHT UL.
Have one amp dry & the other with effects, or set up 250ms delay on the 1st amp & a 500ms delay on the 2nd amp through their respective fx loops.
Radial Switchbone AB-Y switcher is great but now I use a Lehle Little Dual.
Never any issues with noise/ground loops.

Matrix poweramps are also great for W/D or W/D/W if you don’t want the weight of a tube poweramp.