Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

NGD: Two eyed Cyclops

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

I've been waiting for this one for while. Finally arrived today.

Dunable Cyclops in metallic dark cherry. Two humbuckers, which kind of defies the name of the guitar. I could quite happily live with just the bridge pickup, but I thought it looked cooler with both.
IMG_2220.jpg
IMG_2220.jpg (86.15 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
This is a custom made guitar. I won't say how much, but obviously it wasn't cheap. And I have to say, while it mostly looks and sounds awesome, I'm a bit disappointed with the details. The main issue is the finish... first off, I was expecting gloss. This is the reference I provided:
Guitar finish reference.png
Guitar finish reference.png (526.17 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
Second, it feels like they skipped a couple of rounds of sanding - on the back at least. The neck feels nice enough, but the back is rough.

Third - and this is the bit that really bothers me - there are a couple of bubbles around the tuners...(one big one on the first string, another less noticeable one on the 5th)
IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 2660 times
A couple of other annoyances: I specified B standard setup with 12-56 strings - I got 10s (not a big deal, but annoying to have to restring and tweak the intonation immediately); I asked for aged hardware, and while the pickups look great, the bridge and tailpiece look like they just had a quick scrub with steel wool. I'd have preferred plain nickel...

All in all, it just feels like they rushed it. I think I timed it poorly... Dunable has taken off this year - he seems to be churning out a lot of guitars, and just launched a budget Asian-assembled line. He also told me he had to redo the finish as he wasn't happy with the first try - guess he really didn't want to have to do it a third time (I did say I'd be happy with plain black if the metallic finish was too much hassle...) Finally, I suspect he wanted to get it out the door before Christmas...

So yeah. Like I say, mostly I dig it - the neck profile is perfect, nice weight, great balance. The pickups sound ace (Dunable Grizzlies - PAF style). But I was hoping for a bit more finesse. I'll give it a week or so before giving feedback. :|

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: NGD: Two eyed Cyclops

Post by mr_sooty »

It does look super cool though, nice colour. But yeah you'd expect better from a custom made guitar right?

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Bro send it back or at least tell them how you feel! That stuff will annoy you for ever.
Greenstone Amplifiers

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm Bro send it back or at least tell them how you feel! That stuff will annoy you for ever.
Yes - asap before there's too much water under the bridge. Poor for an expensive custom guitar. I do like the look of it though - SG'ish to my eye.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

RobRoyMcCoy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm Bro send it back or at least tell them how you feel! That stuff will annoy you for ever.
^This. You might think you can live with with it, but even minor resentment grows over time,. I think most people have this ingrained feeling of not wanting to rock the boat to a service provider for fear of delaying the process or upsetting the vendor.

You paid the cash, which I presume was a fair amount of $. You are entitled o get EXACTLY what you paid for. In this case, I'd personally be asking for a resolve, or partial refund, but YMMV.

Regardless, that's a nice silhouette and overall look - like the best hybrid of a Gretch, Airline and SG.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Love the look of that. However with the points you raised and the money you’ve paid, I’d definitely look to send it back. It’s not like it’s just one small thing, there’s a number of issues which will just continue to annoy the crap out of you. You’ll be sighing each time you open the case

I’m sure if you get onto it pretty quickly they’ll sort it. Fingers crossed for you as that’s one hot looking guitar

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

That's a great looking design, which is all the more reason to want it to be perfect, I think. Likely to be an expensive faff to send back to the US(?), so some sort of partial refund might be the best option?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Dig the look. Agree with the team. That bubble should not be there.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

+1 to sending it back/some kind of solution. You pay custom money, that shit better be 100%.

Pretty awesome guitar though.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pmI did say I'd be happy with plain black if the metallic finish was too much hassle...
Most of his guitars I've seen looked like some kind of oil/stain finish, so it probably was too much for him indeed.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bummer, are those bubbles solid or is there air underneath? Reading their FAQs, they don't seem to have a return policy but rather a fix it thing, produce receipt and they will pay for it. So I guess, ask him all the finish details and get quotes in NZ to fix it.

If they are air bubbles, the big one can be tackled by removing the tuner and slice the bubble open where it hits the tuner. Inject some glue that can be cleaned up from the finish and then press it down for a while. If the finish is hard, it will most likely crack, but then you have just introduced some relicing...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks tasty
My harvester was a bit rough n ready and at first glance I was a bit miffed about the the final fit and finish but that faded after I spilt my first beer on it and kicked it round on stage a few times.
Now I just look at it as a testiment to its handmadeness

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Update:

I sent Sacha Dunable an email explaining my concerns. He got back almost immediately and has offered to cover the cost to ship it back and fix or replace it.

So there you go. It's the putting right the counts.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:03 pm Update:

I sent Sacha Dunable an email explaining my concerns. He got back almost immediately and has offered to cover the cost to ship it back and fix or replace it.

Brilliant outcome! :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:03 pm Update:

Yep, the attitude of "my bad, I'll put it right" is what counts. I wonder how it slipped through though?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe