Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Jonny's NAD

Post by Jonny »

Don't get excited, JB. It's not that kind of thread.

Firstly thanks to Molly for putting me on to Null_pointer, and then thanks to Null-pointer who had the contact details of the seller so I could make an offer outside the realms of TradeMe. Also thanks to codedog for pestering me to post some more detail about the now arrived purchase. :rofl:

So, Christmas day I'd let myself get marginally sloppy with bottles of fizz et al. Perfect time to plug in the Heritage AC15 and have a good loud blatt. Playing away a fair bit louder than I normally would, I then hit the Tone Bender clone with the volume dialed up pretty high and amongst the fuzz and splatter the amp just cut out and died. I check the connectors for the pedals, but no life, and then I notice the indicator light was out. In my slightly drunken state I start to get the fear - I'd plugged the amp into an extension cabinet. Did I match the impedances??? Oh shit oh shit oh shit. All I'm seeing is the potential death of an amp that I really like, and cash pouring out of my wallet.

Then I remember an amp that I'd been following on TM purely out of curiosity, and thought if I could get it for the right price, then it would work as a good stop-gap until I could get the Heritage fixed, and then would work beautifully in tandem. So, I have the discussion with my ex (we still share accounts, etc. Long story), explain why I want the new amp, the death of the Heritage, yes I know it's a lot of money, blah blah. Fortunately she agrees, I contact the seller, a very reasonable price is settled upon, and the deal is done.

That evening I go back into my little office / music space to commiserate with the Heritage, give it another look over, and find the power cable was loose. It works perfectly. :mental:

So now it has a new friend to play with:

Vox AC30HWH

Haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but it does what it says on the box, and while similar to the Heritage, is different enough for it to compliment the tone I already have (unlike the TB35 debacle that I put myself through earlier this year) and give me the clean headroom that I've been wanting. I was also keen to get a hand wired amp purely for the simplicity and potential longevity, so that box is ticked as well.

Yay for me. Very happy!
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Re: Jonny's NAD

Post by Jonny »

Well, I've had a chance to have a decent play through this, and I could not be any happier. My initial thinking was finding something Fender-ish for my stereo ideas, but the AC30 partners with the 15 so well. I feel like I've got two keeper amps that do just what I need.

For those unfamiliar, the Vox hand wired amps of this series are very simple, and if you're looking for bells, whistles, and a broad spectrum of tones then this probably isn't for you - no reverb, no tremolo, no channel switching, and no effects loop.

The two channels are quite different in tonal response, and I'll try jumping the two together at some point. The two features that I like are the half power switch (changes tone to some degree and there is a noticeable drop in volume), and more so the master volume bypass switch. At full power and with the master out of the loop the damn thing sounds amazing - full and rich with brightness on tap. From what I've found so far, the "Bright" switch in the normal channel and "Hot/Cool" switch in the top boost channel are somewhat superfluous (not using "Hot" mode for now).

Excuse the green walls (rental), but here it is with its partner in crime. They sound amazing together:

I am just so happy with these two amps. I was already pretty happy with the tone I was getting, and this has just given it more breadth and depth. Good times.
Last edited by Jonny on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, M'Lady.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I really liked the AC15HW I had—and stupidly sold.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

This is the Happiest Story of the Year! :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

Hot!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 pm I really liked the AC15HW I had—and stupidly sold.
I haven't had a chance to play through one of the later series of hand wired AC15s, and I'm curious how they compare to the Heritage. What made you decide to sell it?
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Slowy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:47 pm This is the Happiest Story of the Year! :D
Yeah... re-read what I wrote and it is exceedingly happy. At least it's an honest appraisal. :winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Haha that's a good trick, just pull the power out a bit abs say you need a new one :lol: Great pair you've got there.

I'd love an AC15HW, I'd never be able to turn it up though.
Loving it so far

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 520 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I wanna hear more about that Jag...

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

So did you telll your mrs that you actually did not need it as it was only a power cable "issue"?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3485 times
Been liked: 712 times

Post by Cdog »

Nice! Bet those two rip together. Congrats! 😎

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

mule wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:34 pm I wanna hear more about that Jag...
It's a 2014 Johnny Marr model that I picked up used in the US while I was over there for work a couple of years ago. Absolutely love it and it's the guitar I go to most frequently.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Jay wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:43 pm So did you telll your mrs that you actually did not need it as it was only a power cable "issue"?
I was honest to the best of my drunken abilities at the time. I see no need to rehash the issue. :winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I had a couple of the AC15's, really nice amps. I have done a bit of work on these making them sound better too.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I had an AC30HWH just like that.

Was great! Ran super hot and sounded super hot. Had that signature sizzling cut thru only a Top Boost can provide. Roared at volume from sparkly edgy clean to saturated as. Build quality seemed high too. Shouldn't have sold but needs must.