Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

HNR9D

Post by Molly »

I didn't think I'd be getting another R9. They've become so expensive and I just couldn't contemplate spending $10k on one. Came close with Grant's earlier this year but hesitated and lost... Anyway, wasn't making that mistake twice so when I was offered this Chicago Music Exchange edition last week I jumped at it.

Smells lovely. Very light (compared to the Traditional I'm used to). VOS Kindred Burst (Joe Perry?), Carmelita neck profile (I don't know what that means - feels jolly nice), underwound custom buckers. A keeper!

CME R9.jpg
CME R9.jpg (959.41 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 871 times

Re: HNR9D

Post by MikeC »

Looks lovely. Not having owned or played one I've gotta' ask - is it the "mystique" or do they play/sound so much better than "regular" LP's?
Last edited by MikeC on Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

Beautiful. Very Jealous. An R9 is on my wish list and I find myself constantly looking.

My understanding is Carmelita is a Joe Bonamassa owned 59 LP. I believe they used computer magic to replicate the neck from that guitar.

Enjoy!

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Molly wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 amA keeper!
Dibs :rofl:

Looks awesome, that's the type of burst I'd go for. Did it come from someone in NZ?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Will the pickguard be coming off? Love it mate.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by vintage52 »

MikeC wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 am Looks lovely. Not having owned or played one I've gotta' ask - is it the "mystique" or do they play/sound so much better than "regular" LP's?
This.
Wellington

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

MikeC wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 am Looks lovely. Not having owned or played one I've gotta' ask - is it the "mystique" or do they play/sound so much better than "regular" LP's?
I've just sold a particularly good Traditional on TradeMe today. That guitar is really resonant, all the 'things'. Acoustically maybe more brittle but plugged in you'd have no reason to complain. If you were being wholly rational you'd probably go with that as it's a perfectly good guitar. But then so is many an Epiphone.

The R9 is much lighter. Tone, dunno. I've only played it through my office Blackstar. Besides, I wouldn't want to sound like one of those guys from an Anderton's review. It's just a lovely thing. Anything else I say would just be wank. It has nice pickups but anything can have nice pickups. And the finish .... If money was no object I think anybody would choose it over my LP Traditional. What price that smell and look each time you open the case? ;-) Can't rationalise every decision. Where's the fun in that?

As with all Custom Shop stuff, you pay a big premium for it being better. Even if it's only a bit better. Because better is better. Then some guy buys the original vintage one for a completely different premium and his is even betterrer. Even if it's only a bit betterrer. Whatever that is. :-)
Lyle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am Looks awesome, that's the type of burst I'd go for. Did it come from someone in NZ?
A chap I know in Taranaki brought it in and it came into the forum via him.
griff7628 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 am Will the pickguard be coming off? Love it mate.
Thanks. I don't think so.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1315 times
Been liked: 871 times

Post by MikeC »

Molly wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:53 am
I've just sold a particularly good Traditional on TradeMe today. That guitar is really resonant, all the 'things'. Acoustically maybe more brittle but plugged in you'd have no reason to complain. If you were being wholly rational you'd probably go with that as it's a perfectly good guitar. But then so is many an Epiphone.

The R9 is much lighter. Tone, dunno. I've only played it through my office Blackstar. Besides, I wouldn't want to sound like one of those guys from an Anderton's review. It's just a lovely thing. Anything else I say would just be wank. It has nice pickups but anything can have nice pickups. And the finish .... If money was no object I think anybody would choose it over my LP Traditional. What price that smell and look each time you open the case? ;-) Can't rationalise every decision. Where's the fun in that?

As with all Custom Shop stuff, you pay a big premium for it being better. Even if it's only a bit better. Because better is better. Then some guy buys the original vintage one for a completely different premium and his is even betterrer. Even if it's only a bit betterrer. Whatever that is. :-)
Lyle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am Looks awesome, that's the type of burst I'd go for. Did it come from someone in NZ?
A chap I know in Taranaki brought it in and it came into the forum via him.
griff7628 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:20 am Will the pickguard be coming off? Love it mate.
Thanks. I don't think so.
Yeah I fully get it. One day Roger Phipps, one day... :D
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Nice - what year is this?

Mystique? There always will be, regardless what anyone says...that's the whole '59 thing. Being totally objective, you could probably achieve, with stock parts, similar or same tones with any good Les Paul. What Gibson should have done ages ago was do a deal with someone like Throbak to produce PAF cloned pickups and use them exclusively on their R series, with VI Pots. That way, it becomes less mystique and more actual tonal profile shifts from say a LP Standard, and right in proper vintage zone. Instead, being corporate focused, they use their regular p/ups to save money. Like the 2lt motor you can get in your Kia Stinger (instead of the V6 3.6Lt twin turbo). It's just not quite right.

Visually, R9's will be more premium. And what price the smell!???!!!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

'59 Les Pauls had regular Gibson pickups though - just saying' ;-)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:00 pm '59 Les Pauls had regular Gibson pickups though - just saying' ;-)
Yes, but it would seem Gibson is incapable of making them any more, whereas others can. :zomg: :wave: :P
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

GrantB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:46 pmWhat Gibson should have done ages ago was do a deal with someone like Throbak to produce PAF cloned pickups and use them exclusively on their R series, with VI Pots. That way, it becomes less mystique and more actual tonal profile shifts from say a LP Standard, and right in proper vintage zone.
They'd add another $2000 to the price tag if they do so though. :rofl:

I don't mind them coming with Custombuckers. You can sell these to guys who want to upgrade their Standards at a premium because Gibson don't sell them at retail. They go for more than BKP's in the used market so you'd even have change in the pocket after a pickup swap...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

godgrinder wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:26 pm
GrantB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:46 pmWhat Gibson should have done ages ago was do a deal with someone like Throbak to produce PAF cloned pickups and use them exclusively on their R series, with VI Pots. That way, it becomes less mystique and more actual tonal profile shifts from say a LP Standard, and right in proper vintage zone.
They'd add another $2000 to the price tag if they do so though. :rofl:

I don't mind them coming with Custombuckers. You can sell these to guys who want to upgrade their Standards at a premium because Gibson don't sell them at retail. They go for more than BKP's in the used market so you'd even have change in the pocket after a pickup swap...
I reckon their margins on the R9's are insane. or they could add another $500 for the Thro's (bulk pricing) and call it the R9 Authentic or something silly.... :lol:

Good call on the CB's...yeah, I've seen them sell for interesting $.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I too have a ngd but I'll leave it a day or two as everyone will be wanking over this ;)

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:46 pm Nice - what year is this?
Pretty sure it's 2018. It's a Chicago Music Exchange one. Serial number starts CME 8.