Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

NGD!

Post by The Scarecrow »

So, like many of us, I've had an interesting year for 2020. Musical activities continued throughout lockdowns even if band wasn't able to physically get together. Because of this, and other factors which I've probably mentioned around the forum in recent times, I massively scaled back my expenditure when it came to gear purchasing, and purchasing in general. For the best part of about 18 months, I've only owned two guitars and my acoustic, which is against my normal status quo :sarc:

Anyway, I had the urge for a more modern styled instrument (which has been a trend for me in the most recent years after being somewhat of a traditionalist for most of my life - musical midlife crisis?! :lol: ) and purchased an Ibanez RGAAIX6FM which is a fantastic instrument. Would have been happy to keep blasting away on that until I noticed the below on trade me about mid year. I watched it for ages, but he seller was only wanting to sell it a few hundred less than retail, which I wasn't going to go for. It disappeared after a few relists with no interest but cropped up on Facebook about a month ago, with a much more reasonable price point. Got chatting with the seller and worked out a deal and had this delivered to me on the weekend.

It's a Jackson HT6 Juggernaut which is the sig. guitar for one Misha Mansoor of Periphery. I've been a big fan of this band for almost a decade and already own a the signature PRS SE for their other guitarist Mark Holcomb. This is the 'Pro' version, which is the non USA made model, but it's a pretty tasty bit of kit regardless of origin (made in Indonesia FYI). The USA version comes with Mansoor's signature Bare Knuckle pickups, also called Juggernauts, but the Pro version includes some Jackson-made ones that Mansoor helped design and they're honestly a lot better than what you normally get when it comes to most stock pickups. I may swap out to the Bare Knuckles in the new year though, but I'm pretty happy with these for the time being. Plus, they actually look like BK's, which i think was deliberate.

This won't be everyone's cup of tea aesthetically, or to play but it's got a huge array of sounds - the five way switch has your usual 3 pickup positions but 2 +4 split the inner coils, meaning there's some single coil action. The tone knob is push-pull, but pulling it up only removes it from the circuit... which is odd, but must serve a purpose :moresarc: Tonally, the cleans are very crisp and ambient, mid gain stuff is crunchy and percussive and engaging my highest distortion setting is brutally brutal. Comparing it to my PRS, the Jackson is second place but i put a lot of that down to the SD Alpha + Omega set of pickups the PRS comes standard with. Overall a really cool guitar that does the modern metal thing well, but would also have a bit of a flex in other tonal pockets.

jackson 3.jpg
jackson 3.jpg (69.91 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
jackson 2.jpg
jackson 2.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Last edited by The Scarecrow on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Re: NGD!

Post by hamo »

Rad, congrats man. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Woohoo! It's cool when you've been eying something up for a while and then it all comes together! Congrats!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Always liked that particular Jackson headstock. Congrats.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Woo that's different! Congrats, cool looking gat

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Mini Forklift wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:48 am Woo that's different! Congrats, cool looking gat
Indeed. For years I was all about the classics - SG's and Telecasters were where I always ended up for just about everything. But I've really moved into modern shapes and appreciate a lot of the styling choices and adornments, mainly because of the style I play now.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 am Indeed. For years I was all about the classics - SG's and Telecasters were where I always ended up for just about everything. But I've really moved into modern shapes and appreciate a lot of the styling choices and adornments, mainly because of the style I play now.
I'm with you on that, I'm the same. Have been looking at some modern guitars recently myself, ones I wouldn't normally go for. Even just purchased a Headrush Gigboard :crazy:

Also nice to see a guitar such as this one that's not all Floyd'ed out

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Mini Forklift wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:59 am
The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 am Indeed. For years I was all about the classics - SG's and Telecasters were where I always ended up for just about everything. But I've really moved into modern shapes and appreciate a lot of the styling choices and adornments, mainly because of the style I play now.
I'm with you on that, I'm the same. Have been looking at some modern guitars recently myself, ones I wouldn't normally go for. Even just purchased a Headrush Gigboard :crazy:

Also nice to see a guitar such as this one that's not all Floyd'ed out
Funny how we shift in tastes!

It's a big NO to trems for me, for life.... that won't ever change :lol:

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Congrats looks like that will be a lot of fun for you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

That guitar has been on my periphery for a while, lovely choice!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:25 pm That guitar has been on my periphery for a while, lovely choice!!
Thanks, that's 2/3 sig. guitars I have for this band. Eyes on the new Jake Bowen next...

https://www.musicworks.co.nz/electric-g ... ure-white/