Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

NPD: Fuzz Face - Japanese style

Post by Marshmallow »

NPD:

Fuzz based on the vintage fuzz face red with germanium transistors..I only used NOS parts. The transistors can be swapped with any germanium transistors. Internal trimpot to control the overall bloom and gain of the fuzz.

Since I'm in Japan...I thought it would also be nice to have the Japanese graphics. :lol: Japanese graphics for the win. :mental:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: NPD: Fuzz Face - Japanese style

Post by Conway »

Very stylish!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Looks amazing, where did you get the turret board from?

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:48 pm Looks amazing, where did you get the turret board from?
Thanks man! I buy it at a local store here in Japan In Akihabara radio tower. It's small enough to use for pedals as well.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Nice!

Question, ages ago, one of our forum members FuzZybRo, was building some great pedals.... (it's not you, is it?)

He'd often fit a bias trim pot inside. On some variations he'd add it to the external controls. On one germanium fuzz pedal of his that I've got, it is the most useful control of all to tweak the pedal. Sometimes the pedal would go completely out of whack between a cold winter soundcheck and hot crowded room by the time we hit the stage)

What is the rationale behind putting bias and/or trim pots on the inside instead of (in some way) accessible externally?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:28 pm Nice!

Question, ages ago, one of our forum members FuzZybRo, was building some great pedals.... (it's not you, is it?)

He'd often fit a bias trim pot inside. On some variations he'd add it to the external controls. On one germanium fuzz pedal of his that I've got, it is the most useful control of all to tweak the pedal. Sometimes the pedal would go completely out of whack between a cold winter soundcheck and hot crowded room by the time we hit the stage)

What is the rationale behind putting bias and/or trim pots on the inside instead of (in some way) accessible externally?
Nah its not fuzzy, its way too tidy! ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Graphics are great!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Sorry man, I'm not that guy haha. Yeap, germanium does that. It's very sensitive to temperature.. Somehow letting the pedal on for 5 minutes before using it helps a lot.

The trimpots like the Bloom and Treble is mainly a set and forget kind of thing. Once you've set the "Bloom" and the "gain treble" of your fuzz, you just leave it be. I find it annoying always having to adjust these types of controls externally especially when you move the pedals around.. (Which happens all the time for NZG members I'm sure :lol: ).. for me anyway ... If I were to mod this pedal, it would be in the idea of Vermuram. Side trimpot adjustment with a screw. I wouldn't recommend mounting them on the surface.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Marshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Sorry man, I'm not that guy haha. Yeap, germanium does that. It's very sensitive to temperature.. Somehow letting the pedal on for 5 minutes before using it helps a lot.

The trimpots like the Bloom and Treble is mainly a set and forget kind of thing. Once you've set the "Bloom" and the "gain treble" of your fuzz, you just leave it be. I find it annoying always having to adjust these types of controls externally especially when you move the pedals around.. (Which happens all the time for NZG members I'm sure :lol: ).. for me anyway ... If I were to mod this pedal, it would be in the idea of Vermuram. Side trimpot adjustment with a screw. I wouldn't recommend mounting them on the surface.
Cheers!

I agree, I'm a set and forget kind of guy myself. Hate endless tweaking. Small side screw adjustments is a cool idea though. Best of both worlds. :D

You might be interested in this. One of my fave Germanium FuzZiebRo pedals has a bias adjustment on a control knob so it can be tweaked to the edge of 'spitting' if you want. But cooler in my opinion is a Gain knob which actually reduces the gain. It's then switched in and out with a second footswitch so it's effectively two levels of fuzz off the same circuit. The main fuzz control can be set to insane levels and then tamed somewhat with the gain pot. Superb!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:34 am
Marshmallow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 pm

Cheers!

I agree, I'm a set and forget kind of guy myself. Hate endless tweaking. Small side screw adjustments is a cool idea though. Best of both worlds. :D

You might be interested in this. One of my fave Germanium FuzZiebRo pedals has a bias adjustment on a control knob so it can be tweaked to the edge of 'spitting' if you want. But cooler in my opinion is a Gain knob which actually reduces the gain. It's then switched in and out with a second footswitch so it's effectively two levels of fuzz off the same circuit. The main fuzz control can be set to insane levels and then tamed somewhat with the gain pot. Superb!
Ohhh.. Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if I can fit it in a standard MXR case 🤔 or the same size but taller. I wonder if I need 2 of the same circuits for it. hahaha. I can probably use a mini toggle but with an external jack option for a footswitch. 🤔

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Oh yeah, my one is in a double size housing. Makes a lot of sense with two footswitches.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Found a pic.

Like BG said, maybe not as tidy ;)
FuzZ uNIt Deluxe 2.jpg
FuzZ uNIt Deluxe 2.jpg (684.69 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Cool graphics! Fabric, is it?

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 pm Found a pic.

Like BG said, maybe not as tidy ;)

FuzZ uNIt Deluxe 2.jpg

That looks super awesome!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Starfire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:43 pm Cool graphics! Fabric, is it?
Yep! old one too. haha :lol: