Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: Slowy's Guitars

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:00 am
robthemac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am

But maybe I could use them to make my casket..... :think:
A custom-made casket with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides would be quite a funny in-joke.
Mahogany? Brazilian Rosewood please. Or figured Cocobolo if I'm feeling blingy.

We could do maple/ mahogany and argue endlessly over clownburst vs bourbon burst! :rofl:
Happy with either of those choices, as it means you won't be needing the Lowden for that purpose--or the Taylor.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 am
You can't fit them all in your casket Bruce, better list them all for sale just in case!
But maybe I could use them to make my casket..... :think:
A custom-made casket with a spruce top and mahogany back and sides would be quite a funny in-joke.
And a sound hole for his old fella to poke out of!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

After some extensive Google searching, I can't see that anyone has done a sunburst casket.

Or a relic.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1017 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

Next Up:

G&L Legacy in Belair Green. Born 19.03.2008
That's one thing 6 decades have taught; record the production details!
IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG (96.54 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Despite its age, this arrived as a brand new guitar. I've had it about 18 months. It still had the plastic film on the pickguard :wtf:

It's really interesting to put beside the '54 as a bookend comparison; Leo's first and last Strat designs.

I can't understand the lack of love. This thing is superb; a fuss free, professional stage tool. It sounds more like a vintage Strat than vintage Strats, but it plays with a thoroughly modern feel and extended tonal control. It's a great gigging instrument.
I've been saying of this, "When you've been building Strats for 60 years, this is the Strat you build."

But in truth, I'd always wanted an American G&L for a much different reason:
My Son is called Leo.

Yeah, I'm predictable. :roll:
IMG_3589.JPG
IMG_3589.JPG (97.28 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 am After some extensive Google searching, I can't see that anyone has done a sunburst casket.

Or a relic.
Relic............Of Course! :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

G&L definitely don't get the love they deserve, that Fender on the headstock is just too attractive for most ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

PRS SE ONE.

IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG (97.09 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
This little thing is so much fun! I've told the Troy/Jellybelly story before so we'll move on.
It's exactly what it said on the Tin; a basic, raw rocker that takes no prisoners.

I regularly ponder that I should have got a somewhat less hot Lollar for it, but it's savagery is what makes it fun. Really upsets the Old Folks. :lol:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

DUESENBERG STARPLAYER REBOUND
IMG_3590.JPG
IMG_3590.JPG (89.94 KiB) Viewed 4112 times
I Gass'd for a Duesenberg for ever. Met my first ones in that shop in Cuba Mall (I think) in Wellington. Help me out here guys.

Oleg was shifting two; this and an Outlaw that went to Molly. In hindsight, the Outlaw is still my favourite Doozy.

The striking thing about Doozys is the quality of everything; build, playability, tone, dynamics. Zey haf been Konstrukted by Chermans unt everythink iz akkurate to 1000th ov a millimeter. Jawhol!

This one has the Filtertron style pups so it's a bit Gretschy.

It's another superb guitar. But I've discovered it's not me. I'm a battered Fender guy. And when I'm not playing one, I wonder why. The Doozy has lots of tonal colour. It's a rewarding home player, would be an amazing studio guitar but in a band, I don't need that much subtlety and playing something as cosmetically perfect as this is just scary.

So does someone want to buy it?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am DUESENBERG STARPLAYER REBOUND

IMG_3590.JPG

I Gass'd for a Duesenberg for ever. Met my first ones in that shop in Cuba Mall (I think) in Wellington. Help me out here guys.

Oleg was shifting two; this and an Outlaw that went to Molly. In hindsight, the Outlaw is still my favourite Doozy.

The striking thing about Doozys is the quality of everything; build, playability, tone, dynamics. Zey haf been Konstrukted by Chermans unt everythink iz akkurate to 1000th ov a millimeter. Jawhol!

This one has the Filtertron style pups so it's a bit Gretschy.

It's another superb guitar. But I've discovered it's not me. I'm a battered Fender guy. And when I'm not playing one, I wonder why. The Doozy has lots of tonal colour. It's a rewarding home player, would be an amazing studio guitar but in a band, I don't need that much subtlety and playing something as cosmetically perfect as this is just scary.

So does someone want to buy it?
Hah, you had us all on, this is sales pitch after all :-)

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

This is a special issue guitar, there are only a few in circulation. So it really should be in 'Wow, Rare, Collectable'.

And Doozy will sell you a trem to retro-fit, if that is your thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am
"The questions have taken a dark turn..
You will notice this is a 'Show Us Your Guitars' thread.

Nothing is for sale here.

......well almost nothing......"

I claim full disclosure :D

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:22 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am
"The questions have taken a dark turn..
You will notice this is a 'Show Us Your Guitars' thread.

Nothing is for sale here.

......well almost nothing......"

I claim full disclosure :D
Just teasing :D I've met most of these guitars, and owned 3 of them. Not a dud amongst them.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:33 am Next Up:

G&L Legacy in Belair Green. Born 19.03.2008
That's one thing 6 decades have taught; record the production details!

IMG_3588.JPG

Despite its age, this arrived as a brand new guitar. I've had it about 18 months. It still had the plastic film on the pickguard :wtf:

It's really interesting to put beside the '54 as a bookend comparison; Leo's first and last Strat designs.

I can't understand the lack of love. This thing is superb; a fuss free, professional stage tool. It sounds more like a vintage Strat than vintage Strats, but it plays with a thoroughly modern feel and extended tonal control. It's a great gigging instrument.
I've been saying of this, "When you've been building Strats for 60 years, this is the Strat you build."

But in truth, I'd always wanted an American G&L for a much different reason:
My Son is called Leo.

Yeah, I'm predictable. :roll:
IMG_3589.JPG

You're right - it is a great guitar, and the colour is gorgeous too.

I kind of wonder, if the guitar had a better looking trem, if would fare better against a fender strat? I can just live with the headstock shape, but the bridge is a 'bridge too far' :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm

I kind of wonder, if the guitar had a better looking trem, if would fare better against a fender strat? I can just live with the headstock shape, but the bridge is a 'bridge too far' :-)
But the trem works perfectly. And I'm never looking at it when I'm playing.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:37 pm
AiRdAd wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:29 pm

But the trem works perfectly. And I'm never looking at it when I'm playing.
Working perfectly doesn't count!!! hahahahaha!!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.