Been liked: 2465 times

Slowy's Guitars

Post by Slowy »

Why the hell not?

First up, because it's on high rotation: Taylor GS7e
IMG_3572(1).JPG
IMG_3572(1).JPG (150.1 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
I got Oleg'd on this one.
I didn't like it much at first, it was a strange mix of timbers (Cedar/ Rosewood), an odd body size, (Taylor's Grand Symphony) and I couldn't work out what it was trying to be. And that annoyed me.

All that changed the moment I realised what I was wanting deep down was a Martin D18GE and this was nothing like that at all.

Oleg said, "Stick with it; it'll become your primary acoustic."
He's right.

This guitar makes everything easy; playability, sound acoustic or electric. It's just not fussy and always wants the player to sound good.

If I have a complaint, there's something about the treble tone in Taylor guitars that would not be my first choice. But this morning, I realised what it was.

It sounds like bells. You know, the guys who play tunes on a table full of little bells?
And now I know that, it's not such a bad sound after all.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Slowy's Guitars

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Could string choice help with the bells ?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:12 am Could string choice help with the bells ?
Probably. But that's geektime and I'm in playtime!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Lowden S23 Custom.

IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG (83.75 KiB) Viewed 4544 times

My communion guitar. Some dreams are so far out of reach that you never really try. I first met Lowden guitars in my 20s. The effect on me was spellbinding. Although each instrument is individual, I have consistently felt an almost telepathic connection with the Lowdens I have met. Their average value at somewhere around a decent family car ensured it was a rare connection though.

This worn little guitar is a rare and precious masterpiece. An artefact with enormous potential. A virtuoso player will find nothing lacking here.

It is my most precious possession.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

EMERGENCY INTERVENTION TIME!!!!!

IMG_3578.JPG
IMG_3578.JPG (87.02 KiB) Viewed 4539 times

Fender 40th Anniversary 1954 Stratocaster.

Oh dear, here we go. One of a numbered run of 1954 instruments issued in 1994 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the design. Interesting, but not particularly special in itself. I think 3 came to NZ; I’ve certainly met 3.

It was pristine when I got it. It’s current state of wear illustrates that I have actively engaged with my hobby; every mark on it is from my genuine playing use. And as you know, that kind of wear is a soulful feeling!

It has recently been re-fretted by Grantb who did a superb job on a fine guitar.

I played pretty much this guitar alone for the better part of 20 years. :wtf:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

This is a cool idea Bruce. Are you doing them in any particular order? The stories about each guitar are cool to read. Keep going and dibs!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

More Slowy guitars, well, sort of, there is an imposter among them...

The Baja thru the Optimus, oh my :shock:

Lazy Monday Afternoon - 20200713_161956.jpg
Lazy Monday Afternoon - 20200713_161956.jpg (364.19 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:37 pm Are you doing them in any particular order? The stories about each guitar are cool to read. Keep going and dibs!
I'm doing them as I trip over them. :lol:

And thank you!
Encouraged....not aroused.
That must come from the Jb stimulation scale. :think:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 pm More Slowy guitars, well, sort of, there is an imposter among them...

The Baja thru the Optimus, oh my :shock:

Lazy Monday Afternoon - 20200713_161956.jpg
This man turns up at mine noon today, bearing mushrooms, duck eggs, homebaked bread and a pumpkin pie and proceeds to make a superb Frittata.

Happy fed Slowy. Then we got down to playtime.
Thanks Jean!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

slowy had the lowden over to my house, soon after he got it ... he proudly took it out of the case and handed it to be... I reached over and took it... and gave it a strum....

well... I was sternly told that 'one does not strum a guitar like that!' in my ignorance, I asked 'what do i do with it then?' to which he replied with a frown on his face... 'one finger picks it Danny!'

it was so funny. good times!! :-) :-) :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 pm The Baja thru the Optimus, oh my :shock:
Optimus has lived in the Band room for over a year now. Today was the first time it and the Jansen have met in ages.
I think the Jansen, running 12' BLUE AND G12H 30 sounds great.

But Optimus is wearing way more trouser..... what's the word....
Authority.
And punch. Definitely punchy.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm slowy had the lowden over to my house, soon after he got it ... he proudly took it out of the case and handed it to be... I reached over and took it... and gave it a strum....

well... I was sternly told that 'one does not strum a guitar like that!' in my ignorance, I asked 'what do i do with it then?' to which he replied with a frown on his face... 'one finger picks it Danny!'

it was so funny. good times!! :-) :-) :-)
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Guilty

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Great idea Slowy! Nice catalogue. Prices please?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm Great idea Slowy! Nice catalogue. Prices please?
All already spoken for, it's called the ' bucket list', in case he Carks it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

Slowy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:25 pm EMERGENCY INTERVENTION TIME!!!!!

IMG_3578.JPG

Fender 40th Anniversary 1954 Stratocaster.

Oh dear, here we go. One of a numbered run of 1954 instruments issued in 1994 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the design. Interesting, but not particularly special in itself. I think 3 came to NZ; I’ve certainly met 3.

It was pristine when I got it. It’s current state of wear illustrates that I have actively engaged with my hobby; every mark on it is from my genuine playing use. And as you know, that kind of wear is a soulful feeling!

It has recently been re-fretted by Grantb who did a superb job on a fine guitar.

I played pretty much this guitar alone for the better part of 20 years. :wtf:
how much for this lovely strat?
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie