StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

A couple of new strats..

Post by StratMatt »

Whilst in lockdown I was quite literally chipping away at this nice block of Ash I'd had sitting around. It has a wicked grain which the TruOil complimented well. AllParts maple neck with large headstock, the Tui hot strat set from Mr Glyn, wired up with a vintage strat kit from Tone Lounge.

Apart from looking cool it actually plays as good as any strat I've owned. Really happy with how it turned out.

After a week or two of back and forth with the seller I took delivery of this sweeeet Charvel Pro Mod Dk24. The "caramelised" maple neck is SO smooth, as is the Gotoh 510 trem. Locking tuners, Duncan pickups and its shell fucking pink, what more do you want?

Although not required in the end a big cheers to Jim for the offer of picking it up and shipping it up to me, GC.
Last edited by StratMatt on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loving it so far

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: A couple of new strats..

Post by Michael »

That Charvel is deeeelicious.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Schwinnnggggggg!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Ooosh

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Wicked! The strat you made looks cool :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

interest to hear if you have trouble with tuning stability with the CHarvel..i'm on a charvel page on FB and there are so many complaints about it that are then counter by ones saying "mine stays in tune just fine" .. I always tell those who can't keep them in tune to remove the string trees
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

willow13 wrote:interest to hear if you have trouble with tuning stability with the CHarvel..i'm on a charvel page on FB and there are so many complaints about it that are then counter by ones saying "mine stays in tune just fine" .. I always tell those who can't keep them in tune to remove the string trees
Interesting. I'm one of the never has a problem guys.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Damn, both of them are sexy. Especially the one you have put together, great job!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

hamo wrote:
willow13 wrote:interest to hear if you have trouble with tuning stability with the CHarvel..i'm on a charvel page on FB and there are so many complaints about it that are then counter by ones saying "mine stays in tune just fine" .. I always tell those who can't keep them in tune to remove the string trees
Mate can you remind me of what you have?
cheers
:mental:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Olderama wrote:
hamo wrote:
Mate can you remind me of what you have?
cheers
Mines a San Dimas, got a Floyd and a D-tuna. Was RockBoss Matt's one, MIJ I think, rather than USA.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Love the truoil strat! I've just done my first truoil finish on an LP studio. First time around, I built up 10 or so layers, but tbh, it started to look like a coffee table. I sanded back to bare wood again, and stopped at 4 coats, with a wet sand between each one with 600 and coconut oil (linseed prob better, but during lockdown coconut was all I had). Worked well though. Realise that 4 coats is a little light, but I seem to prefer a thinner finish that welcomes a bit of wear n tear more readily.
Do you have a magic formula for applying truoil?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote:Love the truoil strat! I've just done my first truoil finish on an LP studio. First time around, I built up 10 or so layers, but tbh, it started to look like a coffee table. I sanded back to bare wood again, and stopped at 4 coats, with a wet sand between each one with 600 and coconut oil (linseed prob better, but during lockdown coconut was all I had). Worked well though. Realise that 4 coats is a little light, but I seem to prefer a thinner finish that welcomes a bit of wear n tear more readily.
I've done a few bodies and necks now, rolled up old tshirt pieces, very thin coats, leave for 20mins between coats and buff with synthetic (plastic) 0000 steel wool before applying each coat.

And then I just build it up slowly like that until I get the finish I want, can always buff more with the 0000 of you go a bit overboard, but the key is really thin coats :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

No issues so far. I noticed lots of people complaining about tuning woes on the GG sig model, among other things.
Loving it so far

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

IMOCD wrote:Love the truoil strat! I've just done my first truoil finish on an LP studio. First time around, I built up 10 or so layers, but tbh, it started to look like a coffee table. I sanded back to bare wood again, and stopped at 4 coats, with a wet sand between each one with 600 and coconut oil (linseed prob better, but during lockdown coconut was all I had). Worked well though. Realise that 4 coats is a little light, but I seem to prefer a thinner finish that welcomes a bit of wear n tear more readily.
Nah didn't do anything special. Basically what JB said. I did about 6 light coats applied with a clean cloth, didn't bother with any buffing or sanding. I did leave it about 2 or 3 days between coats though.
Loving it so far

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:
no it is these new dk non floyd models mate ... charvels with floyds never ever go out of tune
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be