Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Re: Blondes

Post by Dano_NZ »

Dano_NZ wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:On the backplate on the Ibanez if it has a serial like K801234 that will tell you it was made in 1980, the first 2 digits, the K is the month, A=January, K=November, and the last 4 digits are the manufacturing number, in this example it would be the 1234th instrument made that month. There is a resource on the web that describes the numbering scheme and how it changes over time.

That one is probably an 81/82. The early Roadstars had a similar headstock though.
Thanks I didn’t know that, I’ll check it out.
1982!

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Dano_NZ wrote:
Voxshall wrote:If you picked that Rich Robinson up at the k rd rockshop I remember playing that one.
That is the one. Played it and thought wow, how the hell can I afford this? Did a quick telly in my head of the guitars I'd have to sell to get it as I was walking back to the car. Walked back in and put some money down to hold it. No regrets.
Those were exciting times at the rockshop when they brought that huge collection off one of there customers. I fell in love with a Tele right at a time when I had recently purchased two new guitars so was telling myself I didn’t need to buy it but then I realised that Tele would haunt me so I went back to get it and little did I know Rob on this forum beat me to it. I would stare at photos of that Tele on my phone for almost a year beating myself up for not purchasing it on the spot when I had the chance and then by some miracle Rob was looking for a strat I offered mine up then right before we met I realised he owned the Tele and I asked if he was interested in a trade and after sleeping on it he eventually said yes. I also really liked the Rich Robinson and a Murphy R9 anyone here pick that R9 up?

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

I just saw the national that thing looks incredible as well you have so many stunners, thanks for sharing photos with us :clap:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

2 more blondes:

(December) 1980 Ibanez Blazer Bass
(November) 1980 Ibanez Blazer Guitar

I bought the guitar in Dunedin in about 1983.

The bass I saw on TradeMe 2-3 years ago and bought it then.

Ash bodies, maple neck and fingerboard.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Repair_Rob
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Repair_Rob »

Dano_NZ wrote: 2017 Gibson SJ-200, neck reset (thanks Trevor Binford)
Glad to hear you got this done! It sounded great beforehand, and no doubt much more comfortable to play now too.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Dano_NZ »

Repair_Rob wrote:
Dano_NZ wrote: 2017 Gibson SJ-200, neck reset (thanks Trevor Binford)
Glad to hear you got this done! It sounded great beforehand, and no doubt much more comfortable to play now too.
Way better thanks Rob.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Dano_NZ »

WellyBlues wrote:2 more blondes:

(December) 1980 Ibanez Blazer Bass
(November) 1980 Ibanez Blazer Guitar

I bought the guitar in Dunedin in about 1983.

The bass I saw on TradeMe 2-3 years ago and bought it then.

Ash bodies, maple neck and fingerboard.

Matching pair, sweet.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Look at the bridge on that Ibanez, don't see many like that do you

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Brass all the way, I think.

Edit: yes, "Machined Solid Brass", according to the brochure that I retrieved from the interweb. For both guitar and bass.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:]

Those were exciting times at the rockshop when they brought that huge collection off one of there customers. I fell in love with a Tele right at a time when I had recently purchased two new guitars so was telling myself I didn’t need to buy it but then I realised that Tele would haunt me so I went back to get it and little did I know Rob on this forum beat me to it. I would stare at photos of that Tele on my phone for almost a year beating myself up for not purchasing it on the spot when I had the chance and then by some miracle Rob was looking for a strat I offered mine up then right before we met I realised he owned the Tele and I asked if he was interested in a trade and after sleeping on it he eventually said yes.

How's that Tele treating you, Jamie?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

That's a sweet collection alright. Well played sir!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Most old tele bridges and the like were plated brass weren't they?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote:
Voxshall wrote:]

Those were exciting times at the rockshop when they brought that huge collection off one of there customers. I fell in love with a Tele right at a time when I had recently purchased two new guitars so was telling myself I didn’t need to buy it but then I realised that Tele would haunt me so I went back to get it and little did I know Rob on this forum beat me to it. I would stare at photos of that Tele on my phone for almost a year beating myself up for not purchasing it on the spot when I had the chance and then by some miracle Rob was looking for a strat I offered mine up then right before we met I realised he owned the Tele and I asked if he was interested in a trade and after sleeping on it he eventually said yes.

How's that Tele treating you, Jamie?
I love it, it can get so funky without ever sounding thin, it just has the best sound that’s so unique, I’ve never heard a guitar like it. It’s like it doesn’t have any strong competing frequencies that stick out or over power harmonics it’s just chilled and relaxed and allows all the subtle stuff to appear so effortlessly. You still enjoying the strat, if you get a chance to install raw vintage springs in that strat it’s a worth while investment for sound and feel of the tremolo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:

I love it, it can get so funky without ever sounding thin, it just has the best sound that’s so unique, I’ve never heard a guitar like it. It’s like it doesn’t have any strong competing frequencies that stick out or over power harmonics it’s just chilled and relaxed and allows all the subtle stuff to appear so effortlessly. You still enjoying the strat, if you get a chance to install raw vintage springs in that strat it’s a worth while investment for sound and feel of the tremolo.

Good to hear. Did you end up re-finishing it?

Still loving the Strat. Did you have it set up for 11's by any chance? I've got 10's on it at the moment and the high E string is sitting a little low in the nut.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

robthemac wrote:
Voxshall wrote:

Good to hear. Did you end up re-finishing it?

Still loving the Strat. Did you have it set up for 11's by any chance? I've got 10's on it at the moment and the high E string is sitting a little low in the nut.
No I love the checking and wear on the finish it’s Dakota red. Yes the strat would have had 11’s glad you’re enjoying it.