Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Capt. Black »

darkness wrote:I've listened to them and liked them.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! (Collective Sharp intake of breath from the brothers on the forum.)
"Did he say what I think he said?"

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Let's not forget there are people here who don't gig...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

crushing day wrote:
darkness wrote: They just don't cut through in a live setting.
exactly. it's not like I'm going to be gigging anytime soon.
AFK.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

Rog wrote:Let's not forget there are people here who don't gig...
doesn't mean you shouldn't plan ahead.. :P

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

AYP is right but planning ahead can just be accepting that your first guitar and/or first amp might not be your last.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Capt. Black wrote:AYP is right but planning ahead can just be accepting that your first guitar and/or first amp might not be your last.
thats exactly right. I'm not into spending a a fair whack of change at the moment as I haven't progressed that far.

this definitely isn't the be all and end all of amps for me. I'd love some full tube head, but there's no point for that at the moment.

something that puts out the sounds that my (somewhat untrained) ears like, and has a little bit of oomph so I can at least hear what I'm playing at jams.
AFK.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

darkness wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:AYP is right but planning ahead can just be accepting that your first guitar and/or first amp might not be your last.
thats exactly right. I'm not into spending a a fair whack of change at the moment as I haven't progressed that far.
In all seriousness, that's where I beg to differ. You're selling yourself short when you think in those terms and by investing in the best guitar and amp possible early on will help you progress much faster and easier. It may well be that a SS amp is best for you but if you think a Tube amp is what you want there are some very good buys in that $650 ballpark.

For instance, Marshall JTM30 and JTM60 combos. IMO, they are one of the best bargains out there if you want a good rock sound that can be classic or Nu. All tube and plenty of grunt. DI out for recording. Effects loop for looping effects. Reliable and easy to maintain and if you want to try different tube s in future, they're a cinch to access. They come up on TM fairly often.

The singer in my band uses one and he has no trouble keeping up with my rig when he needs to. I had one and if another came up I'd probably grab it if I had the cash.

Anyway, the point is don't aim low.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Best you grab one. I am a firm believer that buying the "Best" brand in gear is the way to go when you might be changing it later.
And by saying best I am not implying that its not a good brand. But the kiwi guitar buying crowd can be fickle when its no a Marshall or Fender.

There is a Fender Pricton 112 in the botany RS for $200. I have one of these and there are a great SS amp. I know you will get $200 in months to come if you decide to sell it due to the Fender brand. But $600 for a line 6 amp might hurt a little later on like you said. " I can get a new one for about the same." hurts the second hand market.

YMMV.

Rog

Post by Rog »

I know my views can be old-fashioned, but if I was to advise someone starting out, I'd be saying:

Buy the best guitar and the best amp that you simply cannot afford and keep it forever. Pay about twice what you think you can afford and put an end to all that pissing about buying and selling later.

If it was me starting again as a young Rog, I'd buy a Gibby LP and a Fender Twin. Saying that, we're all different, with different tastes, but that combination of guitars and amp would have been suitable for every style/location of music I've ever played.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

And just think what the 57 Les Paul and Fender Twin would be worth today!!! :P

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

a peavey all-tube combo of some sort could be had at about $600. ask BG :D

but the cap'n is right - which is unusual (please dom't head-butt me :() - buy the best you can get at that price range, there are many benefits in this, and not just in resale down the track but also the quality. IMHO, i think you should start off with a relatively simple rig, an all-tube amp and a nice guitar, none of that modelling/effects hoopla because i think that will be a distraction to your actual sound. YMMV :P

and once you are comfortable with your playing, then start adding effects etc..

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Rog wrote:If it was me starting again as a young Rog, I'd buy a Gibby LP and a Fender Twin.
Pshawww! They hadn't been invented when you were a young Rog!

:P

Rog

Post by Rog »

LOL- prick!!

They did have TV when I was a kid though - I can still remember watching Bill & Ben the Flower Pot men in 1952!!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

angry_young_poet wrote:but the cap'n is right - which is unusual (please dom't head-butt me :() - buy the best you can get at that price range, there are many benefits in this, and not just in resale down the track but also the quality. IMHO, i think you should start off with a relatively simple rig, an all-tube amp and a nice guitar, none of that modelling/effects hoopla because i think that will be a distraction to your actual sound.
Kinda. Flipping back the other way, I think it's a good idea to get a bells and whistles rig early on. Get it out of your system and learn for yourself whether it works for you or not.

Everything I use now I bought to overcome the shortcomings of what I had before.
What I had before was what I rationalised would be the best bang for my buck.
I started 3 or 4 years ago with a solid state amp and multi effects and as I grew more discerning I started buying and selling stuff until I eventualy reach what I think I ultimately want.

A big difference compared to Darkness is that I already did my learning 25-odd years ago and while I started with pretty modest gear back then, when I finally bought my Strat and that beautiful Fender black face twin my whole way of playing took a massive leap forward because finally I had a guitar and amp that wasn't holding me back.
I know, a good workman...blaming tools... yadda yadda.

What I realise now is this. The way those classic guitar and tube amp combos respond to your playing input would let you explore new sounds and techniques and reward you by helping you achieve what you're after. The interesting thing has been to find that again with what's available now and each step I take leads me back to the amps and speakers of the late sixties, early seventies.

There are of course, plenty of boutique makes out there that would do it for me but I'm like most people and I don't have a boutique budget.

But you'd never know it from the gear I haul around. :)

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I dont think I posted my amp the first time round, but here is my recent addition.

Ironically, the one thing I dont like is the colour......