Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: Show Us Your Guitar

Post by Polar Bear »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:42 pm Two full restoration’s and yet it has never had a refret. That’s pretty crazy huh
It’s very impressive, light strings, light touch.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 am
robthemac wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:13 am
standardfour wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:16 pm if you want a natural relic it’s still gonna’ take you years of good honest use.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
I honestly have no idea how some guitarists get their guitars to look like they’re on their last legs. Having said that the ones I’m thinking of such as Gallagher, Kossoff, SRV, Sayce etc all bought them in an already ‘naturally reliced’ state

Then you look at someone like Brian May whose Red Special still looks like new on first glance
You're not talking about the original articles are you? Just the custom shop relics?

Because Rory played the fuck out of that guitar. https://www.rorygallagher.com/1961-stratocaster/
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Bg wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:49 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 am I honestly have no idea how some guitarists get their guitars to look like they’re on their last legs. Having said that the ones I’m thinking of such as Gallagher, Kossoff, SRV, Sayce etc all bought them in an already ‘naturally reliced’ state

Then you look at someone like Brian May whose Red Special still looks like new on first glance
You're not talking about the original articles are you? Just the custom shop relics?
Yeah with that post I made above I was referring to the original’s
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, you may want to reconsider that. Rorys guitar was not 'heavily reliced' when he bought it. Second hand yeah, but he literally played the fuck out of it and something in his sweat killed the finish. It was a 1961 which he bought in 1963.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Polar Bear wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:30 pm

It’s very impressive, light strings, light touch.
I was astounded to learn that Brian May's guitar is still on its original frets.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Bg wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:00 pm yeah, you may want to reconsider that. Rorys guitar was not 'heavily reliced' when he bought it. Second hand yeah, but he literally played the fuck out of it and something in his sweat killed the finish. It was a 1961 which he bought in 1963.
True, you’re quite right. From memory Rory paid £100 for it and had to pay it off over time as he couldn’t afford the full payment. His sweat was really acidic which somewhat acted as a paint stripper. Kossoff’s famous ‘59 that Kris Blakely now owns (pictured below) was also in great condition when Paul acquired it

My poorly illustrated point was simply to show my amazement as to how these guitars end up looking like they’re 100 years old haha
Attachments
B4F4D328-AA41-4DB3-B5B3-FF592C06DE83.jpeg
B4F4D328-AA41-4DB3-B5B3-FF592C06DE83.jpeg (60.44 KiB) Viewed 1937 times

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Miza wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:49 am Mick from TPS gave a really good rationale for buying reliced gear in his recent vlog about his new Strat. He's 48, he's married with kids and a real job (which ironically involves playing guitar) and he's not gigging 4 nights a week anymore. He ain't got the time to "play it in man". And he likes how it looks and feels. So who cares what others think.
There was another interesting comment Mick made on that particular vlog. He was talking about the early 60's Strat he has on loan from someone (I forget the exact year but Pre-CBS anyway). He said it had been on loan to him for a couple of years! Immediately a few thoughts ran through my head...

a) What kind of person has the trust and means to give someone an extremely valuable guitar to borrow with no idea when it will come back to them
b) If you had a Pre CBS Strat of a '59 burst would you be willing to loan it to any of your friends?

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

ChAoZ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:19 am My 2 recent acquisitions hanging out with my Kramer

274243280_4560979300673252_12358027814511653_n.jpg
NICE Model 5. Where the hell did you find that?
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:00 pm yeah, you may want to reconsider that. Rorys guitar was not 'heavily reliced' when he bought it. Second hand yeah, but he literally played the fuck out of it and something in his sweat killed the finish. It was a 1961 which he bought in 1963.
I was a big fan of Taste while they were around and saw them nine times. Got introduced to Rory after about the third time, and would have a Guiness with him on subsequent shows, we had a birthday in common ( but different years ). His Strat was not in pristine condition but had nowhere near the level of wear visible in his later years. Quite often the audience would have drifted off to get the last bus home but Taste would continue playing to the dozen or so people left at the front of the stage and their dynamics were off the chart. They would drop the volume down to the point that the sound coming out of Rory's Ac was about the same as the acoustic sound from his Strat. He'd noodle around at that volumefor a minute or so then stamp four times on the stage and wallop next bar, band would kick back in at full volume. Some of the most exciting gigs I've ever attended still to this day...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

What a great story, yeah my Dad was lucky enough to see Rory live a few times but not lucky enough to get to hang with him. In my Dad’s opinion he was as good as Hendrix was live, so he must’ve been bloody good

What did you chat about when you with him, just curious

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

MiniForklift wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:13 pm a) What kind of person has the trust and means to give someone an extremely valuable guitar to borrow with no idea when it will come back to them
b) If you had a Pre CBS Strat of a '59 burst would you be willing to loan it to any of your friends?
Simon is a good friend of Mick's and is the sound/camera guy for TPS, so he gets to see the guitar all the time. :wink:

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Candeevr4 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:02 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:13 pm a) What kind of person has the trust and means to give someone an extremely valuable guitar to borrow with no idea when it will come back to them
Simon is a good friend of Mick's and is the sound/camera guy for TPS, so he gets to see the guitar all the time. :wink:
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I had assumed it was just a random viewer that had contacted Mick and said, "here you go mate, feel free to borrow this indefinitely." :thumbup:

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Not sure but if any of them are around here drop me a PM... :rofl:

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've had my '05 LP Classic from new and I still cringe whenever I ding it, and it has alot of dings haha.
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've a big ding on my LP now and I'm sure it wasn't there when I got it. I've played it twice and don't remember it getting there. My memory is fucked, I need to spend my inheritence on parties in the carribean before I lose all mental capacity :(