MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 364 times

Re: Show Us Your Guitar

Post by MiniForklift »

robthemac wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:13 am
standardfour wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:16 pm if you want a natural relic it’s still gonna’ take you years of good honest use.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
I honestly have no idea how some guitarists get their guitars to look like they’re on their last legs. Having said that the ones I’m thinking of such as Gallagher, Kossoff, SRV, Sayce etc all bought them in an already ‘naturally reliced’ state

Then you look at someone like Brian May whose Red Special still looks like new on first glance
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

My 2 recent acquisitions hanging out with my Kramer
274243280_4560979300673252_12358027814511653_n.jpg
274243280_4560979300673252_12358027814511653_n.jpg (239.58 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

In those days, Gibson built stuff was not meant to last. Finishes deteriorated quickly and after a few thousand gigs they would look like they were on their last legs. Why some people pay exhorbitant amounts today for these poor specimen is beyond me.

However, the Great Guitar company then realised it could sell reliced, new guitars to the Gullibles. They could charge a premium while foregoing QC as the guitars would look 'sheit' from day one anyway. The beancounters loved the savings and the Gullibles loved showing of their brand new 'last legs' trophy...

Oh well :crazy:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Surprised reliced amps haven’t yet caught on. I’m sure Marshall could get away with charging plenty for weathered, beaten up Plexi’s and people would buy them

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

:idea: Nek minut…
Last edited by clubhouse on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Mick from TPS gave a really good rationale for buying reliced gear in his recent vlog about his new Strat. He's 48, he's married with kids and a real job (which ironically involves playing guitar) and he's not gigging 4 nights a week anymore. He ain't got the time to "play it in man". And he likes how it looks and feels. So who cares what others think.
Nothing to see here.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Miza wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:49 am Mick from TPS gave a really good rationale for buying reliced gear in his recent vlog about his new Strat. He's 48, he's married with kids and a real job (which ironically involves playing guitar) and he's not gigging 4 nights a week anymore. He ain't got the time to "play it in man". And he likes how it looks and feels. So who cares what others think.
Absolutely fair enough, that’s a valid reason. I watched his vlog from when he bought his already reliced Jason Isbell Tele and he even added a few more knocks to it by repeatedly dropping his keys and screwdriver onto the body

I almost wish my 2004 LP Standard had a few knocks and dings on it, I’d be less scared to play it

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:56 am
Miza wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:49 am Mick from TPS gave a really good rationale for buying reliced gear in his recent vlog about his new Strat. He's 48, he's married with kids and a real job (which ironically involves playing guitar) and he's not gigging 4 nights a week anymore. He ain't got the time to "play it in man". And he likes how it looks and feels. So who cares what others think.
Absolutely fair enough, that’s a valid reason. I watched his vlog from when he bought his already reliced Jason Isbell Tele and he even added a few more knocks to it by repeatedly dropping his keys and screwdriver onto the body

I almost wish my 2004 LP Standard had a few knocks and dings on it, I’d be less scared to play it
I could lend you my kids for the day?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I just like that I don’t hate myself the first time I ding or scratch a relic and don’t have to handle it with kid gloves!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

The degree of factory degradation on these guys is pretty over the top but they resonate beautifully and feel like home so I'll live with it.
Attachments
Relics.jpg
Relics.jpg (634.29 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:17 am I just like that I don’t hate myself the first time I ding or scratch a relic and don’t have to handle it with kid gloves!
I kinda agree with that notion, a factory mint finish with one blaring scratch or ding is just annoying, I just always focus on the blemish and it bugs me. One scratch might as well be 10.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Do you guys think that genre/instrument type can dictate wear and tear acceptability? Thinking of a classical guitar in a classical music context (not Willie Nelson) or a big ol’ jazz box for jazzin’ with. Is it the electrical element that confers relic/worn appearance acceptable? Asking for a friend…

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

MiniForklift wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:28 am
robthemac wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:13 am
standardfour wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:16 pm if you want a natural relic it’s still gonna’ take you years of good honest use.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
I honestly have no idea how some guitarists get their guitars to look like they’re on their last legs. Having said that the ones I’m thinking of such as Gallagher, Kossoff, SRV, Sayce etc all bought them in an already ‘naturally reliced’ state

Then you look at someone like Brian May whose Red Special still looks like new on first glance
After two full restorations, mind you.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Two full restoration’s and yet it has never had a refret. That’s pretty crazy huh

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:47 pm Do you guys think that genre/instrument type can dictate wear and tear acceptability? Thinking of a classical guitar in a classical music context (not Willie Nelson) or a big ol’ jazz box for jazzin’ with. Is it the electrical element that confers relic/worn appearance acceptable? Asking for a friend…
Classical and Jazz players are usually seated and wearing smart clothes. Spankers of the electric plank can be dressed in less varnish friendly clothes and subject, through stage antics, their instruments to all manner of finishing stress. Although in the past I've been an 8 hour a day player, done a fair few aerial endings and occasional windmilling but never noticed more than miniscule accumulated surface damage.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson