clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Show us your pedalboard

Post by clubhouse »

IMOCD wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:17 pm A pic of the starcaster would be most welcome. :thumbup:
Thank you, kind sir, for the invitation. It's a little cramped in here so I hope the pic translates well. I'm in the throws of giving it a much needed scrub up.

I've had it for 36 years or so. My first proper guitar. It served duty for a while as a noise generator, plugged in and propped up on the front of a reclined Twin, howling back in terror as I pressed in on it's back with my foot to flex the neck/body joint and tension the strings...like a wang bar, whilst I played my jag...Jeezus, I was a dumb! :crazy:

I've got a lot of love and respect for the old, battle-axe...even though it's a CBS/3-bolt/sloppy-neck-jointed/unwanted/dunga...we share a lot of history and that's ok.

The master pot knob isn't original (although I like it very much. Falls to fingers very nicely) but I have tracked down a couple of NOS replacements for one to go on (I've put them up on the amp above the lower horn).

The pick-guard needs to be reattached. I have the hardware and I've just received some screws and bolt/nut for the bracket. I've placed the pick-guard up on the amp in front of a light to highlight the tortoise-shell effect. It's quite pleasant with a cloudy, moonlight night vibe...if it was in the proper colour palette :) which matches the faint tiger-striping of the top.

Other than that and the strap lock buttons, it's all original, battle scars and all. Strung with 12 to 52s, with wound G. Cheers.
Attachments
'74 Fender Starcaster.jpg
'74 Fender Starcaster.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 1340 times

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 pm Sorry, no board...
Wait a minute, is that a 1974x wound right up? Respect.
Damn Straight! :evil:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 pm Sorry, no board...
I almost got tinnitus just looking at that. Attenuator?
What? Speak up, I can't hear for some bells clanging somewhere!!!

Nah, seriously, no attenuator needed. It gets pretty noisy when I dime the guitar master vol but I generally pull back on that. I'm trying this 'underdrive' idea where you use a pre to boost an overdrive, that is barely cracked open, into a cranked amp. I'm grooving on the edge of break-up sound available without pedal-fizz derived overdrive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

MikeC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:41 pm Rated around 18W from 2x EL84's from what I've just been reading. Less power than a DR!
Power...yeah, but perceived volume...nah, maybe...I've played it A/B'ed with my Tungsten Crema Wheat (5E3 copy) when I had a GZ34/6L6 GC compliment (supposedly good for 20w) and it boogied pretty well. Had them both dimed. Maybe the output tranny limits the CW 6L6 GCs full output. Also, speaker efficiency and EQ Fletcher Munson do da may come into it. dBs man, logarithmic little buggers and all.

I've also dimed it against my '68 BFSR (NOS Mullard GZ34/NOS GEC KT 66 + 4x10" alcino CTS) and it grooved on that too. Admittedly, the SR was on 6 as it just compresses after that and fattens up further. My US export SF Twin Reverb (NOS GE 6L6GC + JBL E120s) flattens it!!! Nooo contest.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:15 pm
MikeC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:41 pm Rated around 18W from 2x EL84's from what I've just been reading. Less power than a DR!
Power...yeah, but perceived volume...nah, maybe...I've played it A/B'ed with my Tungsten Crema Wheat (5E3 copy) when I had a GZ34/6L6 GC compliment (supposedly good for 20w) and it boogied pretty well. Had them both dimed. Maybe the output tranny limits the CW 6L6 GCs full output. Also, speaker efficiency and EQ Fletcher Munson do da may come into it. dBs man, logarithmic little buggers and all.

I've also dimed it against my '68 BFSR (NOS Mullard GZ34/NOS GEC KT 66 + 4x10" alcino CTS) and it grooved on that too. Admittedly, the SR was on 6 as it just compresses after that and fattens up further. My US export SF Twin Reverb (NOS GE 6L6GC + JBL E120s) flattens it!!! Nooo contest.
And speaker efficiency plus the number of can make a big difference in audible volume.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:00 pm
JoeBlow wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 pm

I almost got tinnitus just looking at that. Attenuator?
What? Speak up, I can't hear for some bells clanging somewhere!!!

Nah, seriously, no attenuator needed. It gets pretty noisy when I dime the guitar master vol but I generally pull back on that. I'm trying this 'underdrive' idea where you use a pre to boost an overdrive, that is barely cracked open, into a cranked amp. I'm grooving on the edge of break-up sound available without pedal-fizz derived overdrive.
Further exploration with underdrive! Swapped the EP booster for a Zvex Box of Rock. Boost on the BOR @ 12 into Timmy (barely on) and amp @7. Rich, touch sensitive harmonics without the fizz. :thumbup:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

IMOCD wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:31 pm
Further exploration with underdrive! Swapped the EP booster for a Zvex Box of Rock. Boost on the BOR @ 12 into Timmy (barely on) and amp @7. Rich, touch sensitive harmonics without the fizz. :thumbup:
BOOM! (mic drop).

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

MikeC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:25 pm And speaker efficiency plus the number of can make a big difference in audible volume.
Yup. The point for me is that it is low enough in output that I can crank the bejezus out of it in a band mix, without searing the eyebrows off the front row, and live happily surfing the edge of break-up controlled from my guitar volume pot. The underdrive methodology is a bedroom emulation of what I want to do live, without the need (hopefully) for pre-attenuation.

I've played the 1974x in a band situation (2 x guitars + drums [no bass]) and it hung in there for that purpose really well. The drummer hits the shells hard but is pretty light on the brass. The other guitarist has a NZ SF twin and NZ SF Bassman 100 with original 4 x 12" cab and they agreed the 1974x cut through really well when I dimed the guitar volume.

Ultimately I want to down-scale my rig further as I've had it with sonic mushrooms-clouds and devastation...the thrill is gone...I think 6V6s shine bright in my future.

Apologies to all if the amp talk is highjacking a pedal thread. :oops:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:57 pm
MikeC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:25 pm And speaker efficiency plus the number of can make a big difference in audible volume.
Yup. The point for me is that it is low enough in output that I can crank the bejezus out of it in a band mix, without searing the eyebrows off the front row, and live happily surfing the edge of break-up controlled from my guitar volume pot. The underdrive methodology is a bedroom emulation of what I want to do live, without the need (hopefully) for pre-attenuation.

I've played the 1974x in a band situation (2 x guitars + drums [no bass]) and it hung in there for that purpose really well. The drummer hits the shells hard but is pretty light on the brass. The other guitarist has a NZ SF twin and NZ SF Bassman 100 with original 4 x 12" cab and they agreed the 1974x cut through really well when I dimed the guitar volume.

Ultimately I want to down-scale my rig further as I've had it with sonic mushrooms-clouds and devastation...the thrill is gone...I think 6V6s shine bright in my future.

Apologies to all if the amp talk is highjacking a pedal thread. :oops:
I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a 1974x buyer on this forum.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a 1974x buyer on this forum.
Uh, I won't be selling it...just complimenting it with stereo Magnatone Twilighters and using it for dry paired with my Tungsten Crema Wheat. US '68 BF Super Reverb and US export SF Twin Reverb might be up for sale though.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:08 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a 1974x buyer on this forum.
Uh, I won't be selling it...just complimenting it with stereo Magnatone Twilighters and using it for dry paired with my Tungsten Crema Wheat. US '68 BF Super Reverb and US export SF Twin Reverb might be up for sale though.
Madre de dios...
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 pm Madre de dios...
GGGAAAAAAAASSSSSS...the quest, the quest, always the quest!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 pm
Madre de dios...
Mon Dieu...

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

codedog wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:10 pm
robthemac wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:09 pm

Madre de dios...
Mon Dieu...
what?...too much? :oops:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:24 pm
codedog wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:10 pm