Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Megadeth Megadeth

Post by jeremyb »

Inspired by Griff and Hamo, was a big fan of the Poland / Friedman era of Megadeth, never really got into the later stuff, mostly because my musical tastes had changed...

For your enjoyment:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Megadeth Megadeth

Post by Danger Mouse »

Out of the big four (and the other bands around them) I was always the biggest Megadeth fan. Peace Sells... was on super heavy rotation for a long time and I loved Chris Poland's style, quirky bends and notes. I remember hearing Rust In Peace for the first time and was blown away by Marty's melodic, fluid eastern-influenced playing, as well as his pyrotechnic skills. Neither were speed for speed's sake or a bunch of exercises strung together, which Megadeth decended into with Chris Broderick and I stopped listening. Even Kiko, certainly knows his way around a fretboard, but I just don't find his work engaging in the way Chris and Marty were.

That vid doesn't really showcase either very well, but both responsible for some amazing solos.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I'm still sore at them because Dave said in an ad for road cases that they were heading to Aus and NZ, but it looks like they're only doing Aus.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

A big part of my teen years, especially Peace Sells. My God what an album. So raw and in ya face.
Then you have Rust in Peace which is probably as good as thrash can ever get. I like pretty much all the albums, up until Risk anyway. But always find myself spinning the older stuff. I was into Youthanasia more than I was Countdown.
Saw them on the world needs a hero tour, it was awesome as! Al Pitrelli was filling in at that time, he did well.
I wish Dave would just get over the whole Metallica thing, he still brings it up a lot. Ugh.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

On side note, Marty is definitely in the upper echelon of Guitarists these days. Just listen to his last two solo albums, 'Inferno' and 'Wall Of Sound', simply amazing stuff. He's the fucken man!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I saw Megadeth support Metallica at Milton Keynes Bowl, the first time they played together. Dave complained about the sound being sabotaged, but it was windy as feck when they played and that was definitely impacting the sound. Was probably peak Megadeth, with Nick, Marty and Dave E.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

I just saw them once so far, in Auckland when they double billed with Slayer.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

I was into them when Marty was handling guitar duties, Id just started college when Youthanasia came out and I think I pretty much played that CD until it was scratched to buggery. Always liked the tightness of their playing and dryness of their sound; back in the UK in the mid 90's you were either in the Metallica or Megadeth camp, I don't recall many of my mates being into both and admitting it

As a sidenote I thought their latest release wasn't too bad, some tasty playing from KL on there. Strangely the opening track sounds like something that could have been off a Slash's Snakepit album
β€œπ‘πžπšπ₯𝐒𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 π₯𝐒𝐞𝐬 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ 𝐝𝐒𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 πžπ±π©πžπœπ­πšπ­π’π¨π§β€

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

I feel like they're still throwing out decent music, but I'm past the point where I connect with it in the same way I did their earlier stuff. I wonder if some kid discovering the latest album as their first encounter with Megadeth would be smacked in the face by it the way I was the first time I heard Holy Wars.

That said, I enjoyed some of their slightly later stuff too, just in a different way. Supercollider is an underrated track that I reckon could almost have found mainstream play. But it was also clear that Metallica's black album success really affected Dave, and a bunch of the mid 90s stuff seemed to be trying to find that for himself.

Would have been something to have been at the recent Budokan gig with Marty guesting though!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Yeah I think Dave went thru a stage of trying to out thrash Metallica when they were going down the radio friendly rock path, megadeth was always faster and he hired some epic lead guitarists but still never got to the same level...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.