IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: SRV Guitar Lesson

Post by IMOCD »

With blues being such a diverse genre in itself, hard to qualify what 'best' means. To me, Tony Joe White has to be up there amongst the all time greats.

I was lucky enough to see him live a few years ago at the Marchwood Blues festival in Tauranga. His last time in NZ. The festival was really low key and TJW was playing from the back of a curtainside trailer unit a mere 3 metres from where we sat. Just him, a few pedals and a kick arse drummer. By request, he was the first on as he liked to get to bed early by all accounts. :lol: It was a phenomenal performance. To hear him singing classics like Polk Salad Annie and Groupie Girl only a few metres away is something that'll stay with me forever. The rest of the lineup was made up of bands consisting of aforementioned middle aged, white lawyer types doing the thunka, thunka thing.

We left.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Yeah, worded that wrong. He's MY favorite of the genre anyway. Full package I guess. Catchy, plenty of emotion, can sing. Legend.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Tried to learn one of his easier licks, but gave up after that... Now I only play bad moon rising.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Hearing SRV for the first time is as etched in my mind as EVH, RR or any if the other greats. There's no comparison between that and, say, Joe Bonamassa, who leaves zero impression. So there must be a difference even if it is personal.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

He had great tone and played the fuck out of the guitar, the biography of him is well worth a read, pretty tragic life :-(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

I have some rare bootleg recordings of him from the late 80's, better than anything that was ever captured on record. In '89 and '90 he really was playing on another level, like he was channeling his playing from somewhere else. I don't listen to him that much nowadays but I've listened to him tons over the years. We can laugh at his fashion sense now, but I'm sure in the late 80's he was pretty sharp with his beige suit, huge gold rings and crocodile boots :wtf:

When I think of great clean Strat tone it's him and Knopfler that come to mind for me, even more so that Mayer :shock:
β€œπ‘πžπšπ₯𝐒𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 π₯𝐒𝐞𝐬 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ 𝐝𝐒𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 πžπ±π©πžπœπ­πšπ­π’π¨π§β€

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

If you're into SRV you'll likely find this to be a pretty interesting watch

β€œπ‘πžπšπ₯𝐒𝐭𝐲 𝐒𝐬 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐑𝐚𝐭 π₯𝐒𝐞𝐬 π›πžπ­π°πžπžπ§ 𝐝𝐒𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 πžπ±π©πžπœπ­πšπ­π’π¨π§β€

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

It was all about the tube screamer folks.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

MiniForklift wrote: ↑Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:58 am I have some rare bootleg recordings of him from the late 80's, better than anything that was ever captured on record. In '89 and '90 he really was playing on another level, like he was channeling his playing from somewhere else. I don't listen to him that much nowadays but I've listened to him tons over the years. We can laugh at his fashion sense now, but I'm sure in the late 80's he was pretty sharp with his beige suit, huge gold rings and crocodile boots :wtf:

When I think of great clean Strat tone it's him and Knopfler that come to mind for me, even more so that Mayer :shock:
I’m no fanboi, but yeah, I’ve heard some live stuff that is crazy next level. Yes, Jimi was his foundation, but Stevie went different places with it. Still worth a listen every now and then.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Not digging SRV is fine, just as loving him is. People can’t really choose what moves them. If all he ever did was serve as a conduit to those that came before him, then job well done.

I have great respect for innovators, but also respect for those that combine various influences into a compelling blend.

Any John Mayer fans in the house?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Not sure, I think JB might like some of his stuff. Especially his stand up comedy.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

blackstratblues wrote: ↑Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:25 pmAny John Mayer fans in the house?
I prefer to think of myself as a disciple.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: ↑Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:20 pm
blackstratblues wrote: ↑Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:25 pmAny John Mayer fans in the house?
I prefer to think of myself as a disciple.
I definitely don't have a shirt that says "I'll never let your head hit the bed without my hand behind it".
Jops wrote: ↑Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Very timely: https://www.premierguitar.com/videos/ho ... y-landreth
Love that little riff at 2:15 Perhaps some more practising coming...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

blackstratblues wrote: ↑Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:25 pm Not digging SRV is fine, just as loving him is. People can’t really choose what moves them. If all he ever did was serve as a conduit to those that came before him, then job well done.
Agreed.

I don't think anybody can claim a style that doesn't draw on others' playing. And most often when you get into a guitarist one of the first things you do is mine their influences.